Round 14 Thread (AFL Round 16)

Started by Jukes, July 02, 2016, 06:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukes

Information
Seeing as we have a Thursday-night game this round, we will allow teams to name UNLIMITED emergencies. You can name the standard four, or five, or six, or twenty - whatever you wish. Just try to remember to make your sub the last guy on your emergency list, just in case shower goes down!

Also, for the poll - yes I realise Chicago, Carolina, and San Fran can still drop out and Colorado, Las Vegas, and Quito can still make it, but let's ignore that for the poll.

Fixtures
Colorado Avalanche vs Anaheim Mighty Ducks
A must-win for the Ducks for their finals aspirations - although they'll want to improve on the 101 they scored last time they visited Denver. Colorado can't afford to lose if they want to continue their slim finals hopes. I'd back Anaheim to get the job done and possibly vault themselves back into the six.
New Brooklyn Hawks vs Boston Terriers
Of all teams to come up against this week, the Hawks would not be wanting to face Boston in a game they should hope to win to play finals. If the hawks are lucky, Boston will have their fourth sub-par score of the season and NBH will capitalise - I don't see that happening, however, putting a dent in the Hawks' finals chances.
Houston Bombers vs Carolina Panthers
Very interesting clash this one. The Panthers are sitting pretty in third spot, but must travel to the inconsistent Bombers who are just as likely to score 102 as they are 124 (the scores they had against the Grizzlies within a month). If this game had been played in round 13 the Bombers would have gotten up by 10 points - in fact, these teams have alternated scoring higher than each other the last 7 weeks. Anything can happen, but I have a sneaking suspicion the home side will be motivated by the finals hunt and get the points.
Quito Quetzals vs Chicago Sharks
Bottom-placed Quito were outstanding last round against Santiago, and now have a chance to take it up to the second-placed Sharks. Could be a great way to kickstart a miraculous run to a finals spot, but I'll back the Sharks to take the win.
Ottawa Otters vs San Francisco Grizzlies
Much has changed since these sides last met in round 4, a 23-point Grizzly win. Ottawa has gone 4-5 and has gravitated around an even ledger all season but has only scored 306 points in the last three weeks, while the Grizzlies have won 8 of 9 and have scored the second most points in the league. Ottawa need a win to keep their finals hopes going, but I don't think they'll get it - unless SF has a meltdown.
Santiago Cockerels vs Las Vegas Sinners
The Sinners have been stringing together good scores for a while now, and will test Santiago as they look to solidify their spot in fifth after going down to bottom-placed Quito last round, while Vegas did the Cockerels a favour and knocked off fellow 6-7 side Ottawa and need to win if they want to keep their finals chances alive. Santiago should get home, although the Sinners will put up a fight.

Ladder
Boston Terriers   10   3   1646   1496   110.03
Chicago Sharks   9   4   1509   1461   103.29
Carolina Panthers   9   4   1514   1479   102.37
San Francisco Grizzlies   8   5   1581   1511   104.63
Santiago Cockerels   6   7   1545   1538   100.46
Houston Bombers   6   7   1466   1473   99.52
-------------------------------------------------------------
Anaheim Mighty Ducks    6   7   1486   1496   99.33
Ottawa Otters   6   7   1483   1515   97.89
New Brooklyn Hawks   6   7   1432   1498   95.59
Colorado Avalanche   4   9   1439   1486   96.84
Las Vegas Sinners   4   9   1331   1381   96.38
Quito Quetzals   4   9   1454   1535   94.72

Lockout will occur at the start of Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn at 7:50pm EST on Thursday the 7th of July.

Full Fixture list: http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,105841.0.html
Team lists: http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,99246.0.html

Team Submission
D: A. Player, B. Player, C. Player, D. Player
M: E. Player (c) or (cc), F. Player (vc) or (cc), G. Player, H. Player, I. Player, J. Player
R: K. Player
F: L. Player (evc), M. Player, N. Player, O. Player
U: P. Player, Q. Player, R. Player
Emg: S. Player, T. Player, U. Player, V. Player, X. Player, Y. Player, Z. Player, A.A. Player, B.B. Player (sub)
Underline indicating this-round-only selection.

-You must name either a captain (x2) and vice-captain (x1.5) or two co-captains (1.75x each), in addition to the emergency vice-captain. If listed captaincy options are exhausted the first-named non-captain midfielder is promoted.
-Emergencies can be of ANY position and in ANY order.
-Sub SHOULD be named as the last man on the bench to avoid them being called up as a regular replacement.

Jukes

Might as well get my team done early:
D: H. Shaw (evc), Z. Williams, J. Pittard, K. Kolodjashnij
M: A. Miles, S. Coniglio (cc), K. Jack, J. Steven (cc), O. Wines, J. Viney
R: S. Martin
F: B. Deledio, L. Montagna, T. Hawkins, E. Betts
U: C. Guthrie, A. Swallow, R. Douglas

Emg: M. Shaw, B. Maynard, P. Wright, O. McDonald, S.D. Thompson, J. Garlett, N. Smith, D. Pearce (sub)

Jukes

And a few trade and draft highlights I'll point out from the last couple years - I'll exclude trades made lopsided by Dons banned players like the Steven-for-Hibberd trade.

2015/16 Trade Period - Colorado boom and bust!
Boston trade: Pick 49
Colorado trade: James Kelly
For the short-term, a massive win by Boston - Kelly is averaging 98, while Colorado passed on their pick. Kelly getting picked up again was obviously good luck, but this could be a big factor in Boston's premiership race and Colorado's finals hopes.

Boston trade: Tom Scully and RD Pick 11
Colorado trade: Ryan Bastinac and Sebastian Ross
No big winners here, but I don't think either coach expected Scully (84 average -> 99) and Ross (68 -> 92) to blossom into such fantasy relevant players, while Bastinac has been going relatively well (85 average).

Anaheim trade: Ed Curnow and Pick 44
Colorado trade: Dane Swan and Pick 26
Swan hasn't scored a point this season, and his career may very well be over. Curnow is averaging 105. Hopefully (for the Ducks, at least) this doesn't cost them a finals spot.

Colorado trade: Dale Thomas and Ben Brown
New Brooklyn trade: Shaun Atley and Kristian Jaksch
Not a competition-changing win, but just to contrast to the previous trade mentioned - Daisy has averaged 82 and Brown 73, while Atley is only averaging 62 and continues to not live up to potential, with Jaksch toiling in the VFL.

Chicago trade: Matt Rosa
Anaheim trade: 2016 NAT Round One Selection
Was it worth trading their first pick, what will probably be between Picks 5 and 8, for Matt Rosa, who will turn 30 before the year is out and is averaging 69 right now (85 if you exclude his two injury-affected games)? Possibly...

2014/15 Trade Period - Danger trade looms large
Houston trade: Jackson Thurlow and Nathan Wright
Quito trade: Joe Daniher
Daniher hasn't torn up the fantasy world just yet - but Thurlow and Wright have combined for 73 points across 2 games this season.

Anaheim trade: Will Minson + Bernie Vince
Colorado trade: Zac Smith + NAT 22 (Caleb Daniel)
Very interesting trade here - Minson has played just 10 (including today) of the 36 possible games since this trade - a big fall from his 114 average in 2013. Zac Smith, meanwhile, has been carving out a respectable season at Geelong (78 average from 14 games), and Caleb Daniel has had a solid second season - but, unfortunately for Anaheim, Vince - now of Houston - is having a career year with a 104 average.

Anaheim trade: Jarryd Roughead + Andrew Gaff
Chicago trade: Patrick Dangerfield + NAT 10 (Jarrod Pickett - NBH)
Unfortunately for Chicago, Roughy has missed all 2016 and Gaff has averaged just 85. As we all know, Danger has been torching opponents on his way to a 135 average (including scores of 162, 166, 173, and 229) and possibly kept Anaheim in finals contention, while pick 10 changed hands a few times before becoming Jarrod Pickett.

Brooklyn trade: Trent Cotchin
Boston trade: NAT Picks 10, 11 and 24
The aforementioned Pickett (yet to debut), Caleb Marchbank (7 games in 1 1/2 seasons for an average of 46), and Dan McKenzie (9 games for an average of 48). For Trent Cotchin - who is averaging 106.5 this season. Yes, there's plenty of time for this trade to turn around, and draft picks have a reasonably large luck component, but this looks like a robbery.

2015 Rookie Draft Steals
5. Orazio Fantastia - Anaheim Mighty Ducks - in between Jordan Dawson and Harris Andrews, Fantasia has been showing all the signs of being a fantastic player.
33. Josh Smith - Boston Terriers and 38. Ryan Davis - Boston Terriers - neither have really been required by the Terriers, but they provide solid depth and possible future starters.

2015 Top-Up Draft Steals
9. James Sicily - Chicago Sharks (Stewart Crameri) - his 68 average isn't huge, but he's played every game and has been a great pick-up for a mostly unwanted player.

2014 National Draft Steals
13. Las Vegas Sinners - Jordan De Goey and 20. Las Vegas Sinners - Connor Blakely - both players have certainly had good seasons so far and show many good signs for the future - although unfortunately Blakely was traded to the Terriers.
22. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - Caleb Daniel - a part of the Minson/Vince/Smith trade, is no Bernie Vince but is giving his all and has a bright future.

2014 Recycled Player Draft Steals, Flops, and Mini-Redraft
12. Boston Terriers - Todd Goldstein - obviously the first round was full of guns (the worst player arguably being O'Meara (injury and still young), Tyson (still young), or Hartlett), but taking Goldy - who averaged 129 last season and 113 so far this season - was a master stroke and could deliver the Terriers the title they fell just short of last season.
29. San Francisco Grizzlies - Heath Shaw - speaking of delivering titles, taking the best defender in fantasy this late had a huge impact on the 2015 Premiership, averaging 112.6 last year, with 112.4 this season too (including a 46 that didn't count in this competition!).
35. Santiago Cockerels -  Reece Conca - now for a not-so-good selection. Coming off 18/81 and 18/78 (games/average), he has played just five games in 2015 and 2016 at an average of 62. Only 23, but when you look at the guys taken behind him...
43. Colorado Avalanche - Luke Hodge and 52. Quito Quetzals - Sam Mitchell - I guess everybody looks a bit foolish now for passing on these guys for 42 and 51 selections because of age. Injury has obviously taken it's toll on Hodgey this season, but his 108 average last season was very valuable and he still has a couple years left in the tank, while Sammy has gone 109 and 105 and also has a few years left still.
51. Brooklyn Hawks - Sam Day - the guy taken ahead of Mitchell doesn't look like he'll set the world on fire anytime soon. Harsh maybe seeing as he's a D/F, is still just 23 and plays almost every week, but meh.
54. New Jersey Devils - Jake Neade - he plays every game at least - but it looks like he's a career 50s average. Definitely better options left.
64. Quito Quetzals - Chris Dawes - do I need to say anything? Maybe just look at the guy picked next...
65. San Francisco Grizzlies - Leigh Montagna - see below post.
71. Santiago Cockerels - Max Gawn - see below post. The two guys taken before him? Adam Kennedy (7/60 and 10/55) and Nathan Gordon (9/44 and 0/0), who are both lucky to not be awarded flop status - I'll give them a pass due to being taken so late.

Jukes' Redraft-Redraft:
1. Todd Goldstein (12 - Boston)
2. Heath Shaw (29 - San Francisco)
3. Dustin Martin (2 - Peru)
4. Max Gawn (71 - Santiago)
5. Tom Rockliff (1 - Las Vegas)
6. Jack Steven (10 - Anaheim)
7. Brett Deledio (17 - San Francisco)
8. Bryce Gibbs (3 - New Brooklyn)
9. Ollie Wines (5 - San Francisco)
10. Shane Mumford (14 - Peru)
11. Sam Mitchell (52 - Quito)
12. Leigh Montagna (65 - San Francisco)

And a previous piece for the intial draft - obviously a fair bit has changed since then!

Quote from: Jukes on June 29, 2015, 10:30:55 PM
And if anybody wants to see some great and terrible drafting from the initial draft;

GREAT
21. Nathan Fyfe (JBsHawks)
48. Todd Goldstein (Memphistopheles)
54. Dyson Heppell (SydneyRox)
62. Alex Rance (Football Factory)
69. Dustin Martin (FisherSaints)
90. Dylan Shiel (gossiboy)
94. Travis Boak (Football Factory)
96. David Armitage (Nigey)
115. Daniel Hannebery (Jukes)
116. Luke Parker (Torp)
138. Robbie Gray (Nails)
183. Dion Prestia (Nails)
202. Liam Shiels (Nails)
205. Tom McDonald (Torp)
221. Brandon Ellis (nrich102)
225. Matthew Lobbe (Nigey)
231. Sam Docherty (Gossiboy)
238. Stefan Martin (Jukes)
264. Jack Gunston (KoopKicka)
270. Matthew Jaensch (Jukes)
275. Anthony Miles (Jukes)
283. Eddie Betts (kilbluff1985)
309. Aaron Sandilands (JBsHawks)
315. Tom Bell (kilbluff1985)
326. Lachie Neale (kilbluff1985)
350. Cale Hooker (Football Factory)
376. Rory Laird (Toga)
465. Mark Blicavs (memphistopholes)
560. Levi Greenwood (memphistopholes)
595. Jonathon Ceglar (Jukes)
607. Easton Wood (Jayman)
630. Lynden Dunn (SydneyRox)
639. Jeremy McGovern (Jayman)

TERRIBLE
1. Gary Ablett Junior (Nigey)
23. Ben McEvoy (Nails)
33. Jack Grimes (Nigey)
46. Dale Thomas (Jukes)
52. Jonathan Giles (Torp)
59. Matthew Wright (kilbluff1985)
60. Dean Cox (FisherSaints)
63. Beau Waters (Jayman)
68. Danny Stanley (nrich102)
71. Tom Bellchambers (gossiboy)
79. Mitch Robinson (GreenMoon)
86. Jonathon Griffin (SydneyRox)
92. Nathan Grima (FisherSaints)
97. Arryn Siposs (Nigey)
142. Greg Broughton (Jukes)
165. Lewis Stevenson (FisherSaints)
176. Tim Mohr (Memphistopholes)
201. Liam Anthony (Toga)
219. Majak Daw (kilbluff1985)
228. Jordan Gysberts (nrich102)
251. Curtly Hampton (kilbluff1985)
255. Scott Gumbleton (Jayman)
263. Marty Clarke (Gossiboy)
320. Quinten Lynch (Nigey)
388. Karmichael Hunt (nrich102)
403. Luke McGuane (Jukes)
409. Sam Blease (KoopKicka)
468. Josh Bootsma (Torp)
554. Richard Tambling (Nails)
574. Brad D1ck (Football Factory)

Great, but...
74. Tom Liberatore (Nails) - current injury clouding his future as an elite player
83. Michael Hurley (Jukes) - traded him before he got good for Sylvia :'(
292. Elliot Yeo (nrich102) - also traded him for chips (and then he got traded again for slightly more but still not enough chips!)
385. Eric Mackenzie (Nigey) - also injury-concerns
397. Josh Thomas (Torp) - if not done for drugs would've been a gun
512. Adam Oxley (Nigey) - delisted, picked up at #1 in the recent mid-season draft

For those who want a look, http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,99158.msg1479574.html#msg1479574

Additionally, here's a last-time-they-played for this week's match-ups:
Colorado Avalanche 14.15.99 lost to Anaheim Mighty Ducks 14.17.101
New Brooklyn Hawks 17.10.112 lost to Boston Terriers 20.9.129
Carolina Panthers 17.12.114 defeated Houston Bombers 15.16.106
Chicago Sharks 19.10.124 defeated Quito Quetzals 16.10.106
San Francisco Grizzlies 20.10.130 defeated Ottawa Otters 16.11.107
Santiago Cockerels 21.7.133 defeated Las Vegas Sinners 18.14.122

T Dog

Colorado certainly gets involved   :o

Nige

I think my initial draft was actually really good with the exception of a handful of picks (Grimes, Siposs, Lynch to name a few). Some of the depth/talent was spot on, just a few seasons too early on them!

powersuperkents

I got Maxy Gawn for pick 71 in the Recycle Draft

Surely that's the greatest draft steal in history (115ppg average so far)

Jukes

Quote from: powersuperkents on July 02, 2016, 11:07:25 PM
I got Maxy Gawn for pick 71 in the Recycle Draft

Surely that's the greatest draft steal in history (115ppg average so far)

Thanks for the reminder, was going to add that in earlier but got distracted haha - will add those guys in now!

Just as much as a steal from that draft I feel was me taking Leigh Montagna at #65 - nobody knew Gawn would turn out to be elite, while Joey had averaged 102, 97, 125, 115, 101, 99, 115, and 89 in the 8 seasons previous (111 last season and at 99 atm even with a few stinkers) and was only just the wrong side of 30. The four guys taken previously? Clay Smith, Dumont, Duryea, and Dawes. Was a premiership winning move I say ;D

In fact, I did very well in the redraft - probably the reason I took out the flag! Ollie Wines, Brett Deledio, Heath Shaw, Andrew Swallow, Ben Howlett, and Leigh Montagna - 4 of which I've included in my first round redraft, in addition to trading for Jack Steven who is also up there in the redraft.

popedelio

Great review of the drafts and trades Jukesy!! Top notch effort and a good read.

Quote from: Jukes on July 02, 2016, 07:50:08 PM

Unfortunately for Chicago, Roughy has missed all 2016 and Gaff has averaged just 85. As we all know, Danger has been torching opponents on his way to a 135 average (including scores of 162, 166, 173, and 229) and possibly kept Anaheim in finals contention, while pick 10 changed hands a few times before becoming Jarrod Pickett.

Reason I made this trade was I knew both Parker and Danger were going to lose their FWD eligibility and needed a forward, didn't look too bad in 2015 with Gaff going 104 and Roughy 97 as fwd vs Danger 120, but this year Danger has been fire and Gaff has regressed and Roughy just being damn unlucky :'(

Jukes

Quote from: popedelio on July 03, 2016, 12:43:51 PM
Great review of the drafts and trades Jukesy!! Top notch effort and a good read.

Quote from: Jukes on July 02, 2016, 07:50:08 PM

Reason I made this trade was I knew both Parker and Danger were going to lose their FWD eligibility and needed a forward, didn't look too bad in 2015 with Gaff going 104 and Roughy 97 as fwd vs Danger 120, but this year Danger has been fire and Gaff has regressed and Roughy just being damn unlucky :'(

Cheers mate :D

Yeah it made sense at the time, but with hindsight you certainly could use Danger over Gaff for your flag hopes this season!

kilbluff1985

from memory i don't think we even discussed that trade was probably the quickest trade discussion on a high profile player ever

kilbluff1985

and b4 injuries this year i was expected to be a contender that's why the Rosa trade makes sense

popedelio

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on July 03, 2016, 05:18:32 PM
from memory i don't think we even discussed that trade was probably the quickest trade discussion on a high profile player ever

I think that is because our organisations have a great trade relationship ;D

popedelio

Chicago Sharks

D: Tom McDonald, Josh Gibson (EVC), Shaun Burgoyne, Tom Sheridan
M: Joel Selwood (CC), Andrew Gaff, Luke Parker (CC), Liam Picken, Dom Tyson, Sam Gibson
R: Callum Sinclair
F: Brent Harvey, Tom T. Lynch, Jake Stringer, Sam Kerridge
U: Michael Rischitelli [M], Danel Wells [F/M], Elliot Yeo [D/M]
Emg: Clayton Oliver [M], Courtenay Dempsey [D], Rory Lobb [R/F], Daniel Menzel [F] (sub)

Pkbaldy

Why did so many vote for me?? O.o I voted for Santiago haha...

Ummm Tdog won a trade with me... I lost Lachie Hunter for Nathan Freeman and a Rookie Pick Upgrade (Daniel Currie).

nas

Carolina Panthers.

Def: Sam Docherty - Sam Mayes - Matthew Boyd - Nathan Krakouer.
Mid: JPKennedy - Callum Ward (VC) - Dylan Shiel - Marcus Bontempelli (C) - Josh Kelly - Shane Edwards.
Ruck: Shane Mumford.
Fwd: Dustin Martin (EVC) - Steve Johnson - Cyril Rioli - Jack Redpath.
Util: Mitch Brown (B/F), - Brodie Grundy (R), -  Rory Atkins (M).

Emerg: John Patton (F), - C Menadue (M/F), - Sam Day (B/F), - Levi Casboult (F) - Jay Schulz (F) (Sub).