Main Menu

MEL vs PA Round 10

Started by Barra13, May 26, 2016, 07:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

I was surprised to read that Melbourne started the week as a firm favourite to beat Port Adelaide in this Saturday's indigenous round game at TIO Traeger Park in Alice Springs.

The Demons might have a slight edge on Port in terms of recent form but both clubs are close in ladder terms and are equally motivated to win in order to stay in touch with the top eight. While the Demons are nominally the home team, the visiting side is domiciled closer to its own home base, therefore having less travel to get to the venue and it also has history on its side.

The Power have won at both of their meetings at this ground and beaten the Demons on all three occasions since Paul Roos became coach at Melbourne. In addition, despite its last start win at the MCG against the Brisbane Lions, the "home" team has such an abysmal record when starting as favourite that it cannot be said with confidence that it is a sure thing to beat a team containing the likes of Robbie Gray, Travis Boak, Brad Ebert, Hamish Hartlett, Chad Wingard and Ollie Wines. I heard somewhere that the latter player apparently originally wanted to be drafted to Melbourne to join his mate Jack Viney so every time he plays against them, he likes to really turn it on.

The ruck battles will be interesting with the Demons holding the edge through 208cm Max Gawn who should be too good for the Port ruckmen although some are calling for the overworked Gawn to be rested in the light of the fact that Port have been relying on an undersized Jackson Trengove in that department. In recent weeks, Max has been pushed from pillar to post and double teamed in an attempt to rough him up. Last week, the umpires didn't seem to notice and the opposition will continue to try as long as they can get away with the tactic. Gawn doesn't need a rest - he needs assistance. The big man has been a vital cog in the team's resurgence and leaving him out of a game that's important as this one should not even be considered.

Port Adelaide also goes into the game with the edge in experience which can be a double edged sword when both teams are traveling away from the comfort of their own home. It's always good to have cool, seasoned heads but the young Melbourne team these days (nine of its players last week had not played more than 20 AFL games) is so compelling and so full of enthusiasm when it gets going. Of course, that doesn't always help but I'm tipping Melbourne to defy history and win its first game ever at Treager Park.

THE GAME Melbourne v Port Adelaide on Saturday 28 May, 2015 at 1.10pm (AEST) at TIO Treager Park, Alice Springs

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 11 wins Port Adelaide 18 wins

At TIO Treager Park Melbourne 0 wins Port Adelaide 2 wins

Past five meetings Melbourne 0 wins Port Adelaide 5 wins

The Coaches Roos 0 wins Hinkley 3 wins

MEDIA

TV - Fox Sports 3 live at 2.00pm

RADIO - SEN ABC ABC Grandstand

THE BETTING Melbourne to win - $1.70 Port Adelaide to win - $2.15

THE LAST TIME THEY MET
Port Adelaide 18.7.115 defeated Melbourne 8.6.54 Round 9 at TIO Treager Park

Melbourne started like a house on fire and held a four goal lead at one stage during the second quarter. At that point however, the house burned down.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

Backs: Josh Wagner Tom McDonald  Neville Jetta
Half Backs: Tomas Bugg Oscar McDonald Colin Garland
Centre: Billy Stretch Dom Tyson Bernie Vince
Half Forwards: Dean Kent Jack Watts Jeff Garlett
Forwards: Christian Petracca Jesse Hogan Ben Kennedy
Followers: Max Gawn Nathan Jones Jack Viney

Interchange: Ben Newton Jayden Hunt Alex Neal-Bullen James Harmes
Emergencies: Chris Dawes Viv Michie Jack Grimes

In: Neville Jetta, Dom Tyson
Out: Viv Michie (Omitted), Clayton Oliver (Quad)

Barra13

MELBOURNE has made two changes to its side to face Port Adelaide at TIO Traeger Park on Saturday.

In-form small defender Neville Jetta returns from suspension, while Dom Tyson is back in the side after missing last week’s game through illness.

“Dom and Nev will definitely come back in,” coach Paul Roos told Melbourne TV on Roos Views.

“Nev was out with suspension, so he’ll come back in [while] Dom comes back in [after illness].”

First year player Clayton Oliver (quad) will miss the game, after suffering a corked thigh in the game against Brisbane Lions, while Viv Michie has been omitted.

Roos said while there would just be the two changes this week, it was important to manage the load of the players throughout the year.

“We’ve adjusted the [training] week a little bit and the load,” Roos said.

“It’s something we’ll keep an eye on over the next two or three weeks.

“It’s something we need to do as a coaching group â€" keep an eye on the young group, just to make sure that we’re performing at our maximum every week.”

Meanwhile, key forward Chris Dawes has been named in the squad as an emergency for the first time in 2016, having overcome a pre-season calf injury.

Purple 77

REALLY important game in terms of whether we want to stay in touch with eight. Although I don't expect to make finals, I'd like to be in the conversation for as long as possible, and seeing as Port are 10th, this is a great opportunity to get another win ahead of the teams behind us.

But my gut says that we won't  :-\

Big Mac

Yep also not really feeling it this week

Although I think we have the better midfield, so if Hogan, Garlett and Watts are all up and about then we should get the win.

As a random aside, so far we are the only team to have scored more goals than behinds in every game this season. No idea why this is, but we're probably due for an ugly game soon  :P

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 26, 2016, 09:06:19 PM
Yep also not really feeling it this week

Although I think we have the better midfield, so if Hogan, Garlett and Watts are all up and about then we should get the win.

As a random aside, so far we are the only team to have scored more goals than behinds in every game this season. No idea why this is, but we're probably due for an ugly game soon  :P

Lol, I like those kinda stats.

Also, when did we become the 3rd highest scoring team in the comp?!

Barra13

We are also ranked #1 in clearances.

Purple 77

Quote from: Barra13 on May 26, 2016, 11:56:55 PM
We are also ranked #1 in clearances.

... what?!

I remember it was only 2014, where we were the worst clearance side in the comp, with a player ranked number 1 in clearances in the comp (who do you think it was #robbedofAllAusSquad #Jones>B.Ellis)

And funnily enough, two seasons on, we're the best clearance side, and without looking at the stats, I would say Jones doesn't do many of them would he?!

PowerBug

Best clearance side up against a team without a proper ruckman :'( I don't think we stand a chance, Gawns beard will destroy our three bearded ruck combo!

JBs-Hawks

Gawn to Viney the new Primus to Francou