MEL vs WB Round 8

Started by Barra13, May 12, 2016, 04:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

"This is the moment!

This is the day,

When I send all my doubts and demons

On their way!" ~

THIS IS THE MOMENT (from the musical Jekyll and Hyde)

Melbourne has been described as the Jekyll and Hyde of the AFL. As it attempts to clamber up from the basement of the competition where it has spent so many moments of despair, it continues to tantalise supporters with great highs only to disappoint them with unexpected lows. How can you explain its Round 2 performance against a lowly undermanned Essendon wedged in between games against two highly rated teams in GWS Giants and North Melbourne?  The same question can be asked of the game against St Kilda just two weeks ago.

You could put the inconsistency down to the fact that the team is one of the youngest in the competition and that's what you expect from inexperience. There's certainly some truth in that but there comes a time when even young sides must rise to the challenge and this week's game at the MCG against the Western Bulldogs is precisely that time.

The Demons are in their own way tracking the Bulldogs of twelve months ago. At the start of 2015, they were a young team, unfashionable and not fancied to advance much, if at all, after a 7-15 record in the year before. Under new coach Luke Beveridge, they started well winning their first two games, got thumped by the Hawks and had a revelatory win in Sydney beating the Swans by four points in an unexpected result before losing to lowly St Kilda at Etihad Stadium after leading at one stage by 55 points. They went into a losing streak going down at the same venue against Fremantle and before losing to Melbourne at the MCG by 39 points in the equivalent round to this week's game. Going into their bye round in midseason they had five wins from ten matches before building up a head of steam to finish with fourteen wins â€" doubling their tally from 2014 and making the finals.

I believe the Bullies had their moment in that game at the SCG when they beat Sydney away from home. I called it a revelation because of the nature of the win â€" a breakthrough against a leading team, one they were not expected to beat.

Now, it’s Melbourne’s turn for their breakthrough. The time is right, they play a strong team that’s in good form but the Western Bulldogs have played all of their matches to date at Etihad Stadium. They have yet to travel interstate or to play on the big MCG which, despite the stands surrounding it, is still open to the elements. I sense they are vulnerable.

And, this is the moment for Melbourne.

THE GAME

Melbourne v Western Bulldogs at The MCG Sunday 24 May 2015 at 3.20pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall: Melbourne 85 Western Bulldogs 75 wins 1 draw

At MCG: Melbourne 45 wins Western Bulldogs 27 wins

Last Five Meetings: Melbourne 2 wins Western Bulldogs 3 wins

The Coaches: Roos 1 win Beveridge 1 win

MEDIA

TV - Fox Sports 3, Channel 7 live at 3.00pm

Radio - Triple M, 3AW

THE BETTING

Melbourne $2.75 to win Western Bulldogs $1.45 to win

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Western Bulldogs 24.9.153 defeated Melbourne 8.7.55 at Etihad Stadium, Round 20, 2015

The ruthless Bulldogs opened in blistering form to lead at the first break by 8.3.51 to 0.2.2 while Demons were virtually spectators as their opponents ran rings around them. Their first goal to Jeff Garlett was scored at the halfway mark of the second term, by which time they were more than 10 goals in arrears. Jesse Hogan scored a few goals, Tom McDonald worked hard in defence and Jack Watts player well but for the most part, the game was a train wreck for Melbourne.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE
B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Tomas Bugg
HB: Josh Wagner, Colin Garland, Jayden Hunt
C: Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver
HF: Jack Watts, Cameron Pedersen, Jeff Garlett
F: James Harmes, Jesse Hogan, Ben Kennedy
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C (from): Christian Salem, Christian Petracca, Billy Stretch, Viv Michie, Oscar McDonald, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jack Grimes
In: Grimes, Salem, Neal-Bullen, O.McDonald
Out: Dean Kent (back)

Big Mac

I reckon the MCG plays a big part here

Dees by 17

Purple 77

Still can't trust them, as much as I'd like to.

The Dogs comfortably for me, with selection errors to again be criticised.

Barra13

MELBOURNE has lost powerful small forward Dean Kent with a back injury for Sunday’s clash against the Western Bulldogs at the MCG.

The red and blue announced its 25-man squad on Thursday night, with former co-captain Jack Grimes, playmaker Christian Salem, hard-nut Alex Neal-Bullen and defender Oscar McDonald coming into the squad.

No other changes have been made yet, with the final team to be announced on Friday afternoon.

No.2 draft pick Christian Petracca, youngster Billy Stretch and utility Viv Michie join Salem, O.McDonald, Neal-Bullen and Grimes on the extended interchange.

Coach Paul Roos said Salem was a strong chance to return this weekend, after missing round eight due to concussion.

“Salo was in the team and went out last weekend with a bit of concussion, so he’s right to play,” he told Melbourne TV. 

“We’d like to fit him back in the side, but we’ll name the team and then get through training tomorrow (Friday) and see what the final team looks like.”

Neal-Bullen and Grimes, who have yet to play an AFL match in 2016, have been right on the cusp of selection all season, having been named an emergency five and four times respectively.

O.McDonald has made one appearance in Melbourne’s round one win over Greater Western Sydney at the MCG.

He has since missed two matches with an ankle injury and concussion, and played the rest of the season for Casey in the VFL.

Roos said it was hard to make changes when the side was playing well.

“It’s hard to spit anyone else out â€" the seconds have been playing well. Our role now is to just to reinforce to the seconds’ guys that if you’re not getting a game â€" keep playing the way you’ve been playing,” he said.

“As we saw with Viv Michie in particular last week, he played some good footy, [along with] Billy Stretch.

“That’s the challenge for the guys in the seconds â€" to keep playing the way they’re playing, so when they get a chance, they’re ready to go.”

Bernie Vince will play his 50th match for Melbourne against the Bulldogs â€" his 179th overall after he played 129 games with Adelaide from 2006-13.

Melbourne team: round eight
B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Tomas Bugg
HB: Josh Wagner, Colin Garland, Jayden Hunt
C: Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver
HF: Jack Watts, Cameron Pedersen, Jeff Garlett
F: James Harmes, Jesse Hogan, Ben Kennedy
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C (from): Christian Salem, Christian Petracca, Billy Stretch, Viv Michie, Oscar McDonald, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jack Grimes
In: Grimes, Salem, Neal-Bullen, O.McDonald
Out: Dean Kent (back)