Main Menu

MEL vs RICH Round 5

Started by Barra13, April 20, 2016, 05:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

Early this month, the Melbourne Football Club walked away from sponsorships with sports betting companies by committing to a responsible betting charter. At the time, the club's CEO Peter Jackson said it was “an important day for the club”.

I was thinking about that comment when I saw the early betting for Sunday night's Anzac Eve clash between Melbourne and Richmond which had the match up listed as an even money battle. I immediately asked myself the question, "how is this so"? How is it possible that betting agencies which live or die by framing odds for sporting contests could even think of putting a team with Richmond's recent form which has been putrid, on a par with Melbourne after its last two matches?

Just when I reach the point where I have decided that these people have completely taken leave of their own senses, I come to the realisation that it's the Demons we're talking about - that flakey team which hasn't won two consecutive games in a season since 2011 when they beat the Tigers in Round 14. I remember it well because about a month later it was Armageddon for the club, the coach was sacked and the team hit a brick wall causing near irreparable damage from which it is still recovering.

It's not as if the opportunity to win two games on end hasn't presented itself in recent times. After beating Brisbane in Round 16 last year, the team started as favourite to beat St Kilda at the MCG the following week and they put in a stinker to lose by 37 points. They were never really in the hunt.

And starting a game as favourite doesn't help the club very much at all. Take the club's last two matches against the down and almost out Bombers ... (three if you want to include the last NAB Challenge game of 2015) yes, please take them because I can barely bring myself to think of the humiliation each of those non efforts brought down on those of us who support the Dees.

So I look around trying to find reasons why things will be different this time. Why Melbourne will defy history and win two in a row and why it should start as favourite? Is it the fact that the Demons have an in form ruckman capable of turning a game on its head or that they have added to their playing stocks so that they now have greater strength, skill and discipline at the stoppages? Is it a better and more cohesive forward line with more depth in terms of players who can hit the scoreboard? A tighter defence? A more attacking game plan?

As much as I wrack my brain, I find myself entirely conflicted about how Melbourne will fare on Sunday night. Their recent form is better and my judgement is that the team that's in form should win but I'm afraid to place a wager on that eventuality. I therefore am left with no choice but to get with the club's responsible betting charter and decline the opportunity to gamble on the outcome of this match.

In other words, as far as I'm concerned, anything can and will happen - you can bet on it!

THE GAME

Richmond v Melbourne on Sunday 24 April 2016 at 7.10pm at the MCG

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Richmond 103 wins Melbourne 74 wins Drawn 2

At MCG Richmond 68 wins Melbourne 62 wins Drawn 1

Past five meetings Richmond 3 wins Melbourne 2 wins

The Coaches Hardwick 0 wins Roos 2 wins

MEDIA

TV - Fox Footy Channel Channel 7 live at 7.00pm

Radio - Triple M 3AW SEN ABC ABC Grandstand

THE BETTING

Richmond to win - $1.92 Melbourne to win - $1.92

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 12.11.83 defeated Richmond 6.15.51 in Round 5, 2015 at the MCG

After an even first half, Melbourne took control of the game kicking six goals to one with Nathan Jones the star and Jesse Hogan playing his break out game by giving a quality opponent in Rance an absolute bath.

THE TEAMS

Melbourne
B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Tomas Bugg
HB: Lynden Dunn, Heritier Lumumba, Christian Salem
C: Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Josh Wagner
HF: Jack Watts, Sam Frost, James Harmes
F: Dean Kent, Jesse Hogan, Angus Brayshaw
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney

I/C (from): Christian Petracca, Colin Garland, Cameron Pedersen, Jayden Hunt, Alex Neal-Bullen, Ben Kennedy, Jeff Garlett

Purple 77

I have a slightly different feeling about this match than I did in the lead up to the Essendon match...

It's weird, but I think we actually genuinely learnt from that game and won't fall into the trap at underestimating the opposition any more (although laughable about how that happened in the first place).

Win lose or draw, I'm feeling more comfortable that we won't disgrace ourselves at least, off the back of a win.

RaisyDaisy

Seems unfathomable that an afl team has not won 2 games in a row in 5 years

If you can't win this, it's the same old Melbourne and nothing has changed. You need to win to shake that horrible record off and prove to yourselves that you're actually improving and the future is positive

Go Dees!

_wato

I just don't see enough contributors in the Tigers team to see them get over the line. Too much is left for Rance, Houli, JRoo, Cotch and Dusty to do. The dees are playing brilliant fast paced attacking team footy, and I think they'll get the job done.

And Yep I betted on them at $2.50 last week for a $50 pay day! So really hoping they get a win here, I hate Richmond

Purple 77

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on April 20, 2016, 07:12:11 PM

Yup; one of the many, many hoodoos we currently have  :(

Hasn't been fun being a Melbourne supporter HA-HA, he-he, ho....

Still, the wins resonate with my soul, and is an awesome feeling 8)

Barra13

Melbourne squad for round five
B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Tomas Bugg
HB: Lynden Dunn, Heritier Lumumba, Christian Salem
C: Bernie Vince, Dom Tyson, Josh Wagner
HF: Jack Watts, Sam Frost, James Harmes
F: Dean Kent, Jesse Hogan, Angus Brayshaw
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney

I/C (from): Christian Petracca, Colin Garland, Cameron Pedersen, Jayden Hunt, Alex Neal-Bullen, Ben Kennedy, Jeff Garlett

“Jeff’s now completed two running sessions this week and a light training session,” Mahoney told melbournefc.com.au.

“The main training session is tomorrow and if he can get through that, he’ll play on Sunday.”

Mahoney said Petracca had put his name up for selection in the squad after three strong performances for Casey in the VFL.

“We’ve been really happy with the form that Christian has had at VFL level and the amount of game time he’s been able to play over the last three weeks,” he said.

“We now consider him as available for selection and if Jeff is unable to get through tomorrow's main session, Christian will be a chance to debut."

PowerBug

If you can't win this, it's the same old Melbourne and nothing has changed. You need to win to shake that horrible record off and prove to yourselves that you're actually improving and the future is positive

Go Dees!
This is what I was thinking before the Essendon game. Therefore, I tip Richmond. They also have their most important player Brett Deledio back (probably), along with Maric.

Barra, are you a journalist/aspiring journalist? That write up was awesome!

Also anyone reckon that Ben Kennedy with a chance of not making that cut? Garland, Pedersen Garlett will all be named, then could they go with Jayden Hunt over Kennedy? From those comments it seems Petracca won't make the cut but will be a chance if Garlett falls short.

Purple 77

Ben Kennedy is an absolute lock to play.

It just sounds like Vince and Jeffy for Jones and Oliver, and petracca will play if Garlett doesn't.

Exciting times!

Barra13

Quote from: PowerBug on April 21, 2016, 07:37:27 PM

Go Dees!
This is what I was thinking before the Essendon game. Therefore, I tip Richmond. They also have their most important player Brett Deledio back (probably), along with Maric.

Barra, are you a journalist/aspiring journalist? That write up was awesome!

Also anyone reckon that Ben Kennedy with a chance of not making that cut? Garland, Pedersen Garlett will all be named, then could they go with Jayden Hunt over Kennedy? From those comments it seems Petracca won't make the cut but will be a chance if Garlett falls short.

Unfortunately it is not me. I basically just collect and gather the information I find from numerous websites I look through and post it here so people can get the latest news to try and help their fantasy teams. :)

For reference the websites the info I grab come from;
demonland.com
bigfooty.com.au
melbournefc.com.au
afl.com

I can tell you now that the MFC are very bullish about Jayden Hunt. But I don't see Kennedy being dropped either. It is hard for me who will be dropped out of that bench. I think it will be definitely Garland as his form has been down. Then it will be either one of Garlett or Petracca as the article above suggests. The last one to be dropped will be a hard one though.

Alex Neal-Bullen has been posting big numbers in the VFL recently so his form suggests a run.

Purple 77

I'll say Cam Pedersen will be the unlucky one  :(

Just because we already have Watts, Frost and Hulk in the forward line and probably don't need a 4th tall.

If it were up to me, I'd choose Pedersen over Frost every day of the week, but Melbourne are determined to shove a square in a circle shaped hole and make a forward out of Frost... harsh, because he played his best ever game for Melbourne last week, but he still has no idea what's going on as a forward.

Big Mac

Quote from: Purple 77 on April 21, 2016, 09:00:09 PM

Just because we already have Watts, Frost and Hulk in the forward line and probably don't need a 4th tall.

If it were up to me, I'd choose Pedersen over Frost every day of the week, but Melbourne are determined to shove a square in a circle shaped hole and make a forward out of Frost... harsh, because he played his best ever game for Melbourne last week, but he still has no idea what's going on as a forward.

Am I missing something  ???

Who is Pedo coming out for?

Edit: Or are you saying ANB gets a run over him?

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 21, 2016, 09:07:59 PM
Quote from: Purple 77 on April 21, 2016, 09:00:09 PM

Am I missing something  ???

Who is Pedo coming out for?

Edit: Or are you saying ANB gets a run over him?

Ah I confused myself.

Pedersen 4EVER!

Emg: Truck, ANB & Garland IMO

Big Mac

Yeh that looks about right

Barra13

Big Mac