Main Menu

COLL vs MEL Round 4

Started by Barra13, April 14, 2016, 06:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

I have lost count of the number of times the old adage about the need to ignore pre season form has been proven to be correct and this year's AFL NAB Challenge is yet another case in point. Fremantle, Melbourne and Collingwood were the only undefeated teams in that series but the former has yet to record a win in the opening three rounds of AFL competition while the other two have managed only one win each and in both cases, they fell in by a solitary point.

This week those other two front runners and old time traditional Victorian rivals meet in what will be a do or die struggle at the MCG. The loser of the Magpies v Demons clash will be sitting in tatters close to the foot of the table while the winner will have some hope restored for the season ahead.  Strangely enough for the AFL and despite the early disappointing form of their respective teams' performances, both coaches can rest comfortably in the knowledge that their positions are safe for this year at least. Paul Roos is departing anyway as part of the succession plan he set up which has installed Simon Goodwin as coach in waiting. Nathan Buckley was reappointed to his position just three weeks ago and whilst three weeks is a long time in football, Eddie McGuire keeps on insisting that his man is safe.

There's been little to differentiate the two teams' performances to date this season so, in determining the final outcome of this battle, little things can mean a lot. As between these competitors, Collingwood will gain the advantage of Tribunal outcomes because it stands to benefit from the return of Steele Sidebottom from suspension while Melbourne's Bernie Vince who was good last week against North Melbourne is out this week. Last year's best and fairest winner Vince, starred when these teams last met and he will be sorely missed this weekend.

On the other side of "little" things are the ruck battles. Melbourne has been getting great value from Max Gawn who comprehensively beat the AFL's number one in this area last week but for the second week in a row, the opposition exposed the Demons' weakness in back up tall timber in the last line of defence. Two weeks ago, they couldn't counter Joe Daniher's height at full forward and in Hobart, it was Goldstein who was the destroyer with five goals.

Melbourne has not been as dangerous up forward with its own talls despite the fact that for the first time in ages, it is regularly getting the ball inside its own forward 50 more times than the opposition. That statistic is the diametrically opposite to what was taking place with this team only two years ago and it is what contributes to my belief that there will be major improvements to the team's overall performances coming soon. Perhaps, even as soon as this Sunday.

Melbourne to win by 15 points.

THE GAME

Melbourne v Collingwood at MCG Sunday 17 April 2016 at 3.20pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Collingwood 146 wins Melbourne 80 wins 5 drawn

At the MCG Collingwood 79 wins Melbourne 55 wins 3 drawn

Last Five Meetings Collingwood 4 wins Melbourne 1 win

The Coaches: Buckley 2 wins Roos 1 win

MEDIA

TV - Fox Sports 3, Channel 7 live at 3.00pm

Radio - Triple M 3AW

THE BETTING

Collingwood $1.53 to win Melbourne $2.50 to win

LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 13.13.91 defeated Collingwood 7.12.54 at MCG in Round 18, 2015

The Demons shrugged off some indifferent form to record their first win over the Magpies in seven years - a comprehensive 37-point victory that had many supporters scratching their heads over why the team was unable to consistently produce such form on a regular basis. Jesse Hogan and Bernie Vince kicked two goals each and the latter was best on the ground.

THE TEAMS

COLLINGWOOD

B: Ben Sinclair, Nathan Brown, Tom Langdon
HB: Goldsack, Ben Reid, Alan Toovey
C: Adam Oxley, Adam Treloar, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Travis Varcoe, Darcy Moore, Jordan De Goey
F: Alex Fasolo, Travis Cloke, Jeremy Howe
FOLL: Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams

I/C (from): James Aish, Jarryd Blair, Mason Cox, Jack Crisp, Matthew Goodyear, Levi Greenwood, Brent Macaffer,

IN: Mason Cox, Brent Macaffer, Steele Sidebottom, Alan Toovey, Travis Varcoe

OUT: Brayden Maynard (hamstring), Marley Williams (foot)

NEW: Mason Cox (25, Oklahoma State University)

MELBOURNE

B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Tomas Bugg
HB: Lynden Dunn, Heritier Lumumba, Christian Salem
C: James Harmes, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver
HF: Jack Watts, Sam Frost, Matt Jones
F: Dean Kent, Jesse Hogan, Ben Kennedy
Foll: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney

I/C (from): Angus Brayshaw, Billy Stretch, Cameron Pedersen, Jayden Hunt, Alex Neal-Bullen, Jeff Garlett, Josh Wagner

In: Angus Brayshaw, Jeff Garlett, Jayden Hunt, Alex Neal-Bullen, Cam Pedersen

Out: Aaron vandenBerg (ankle), Bernie Vince (suspension)

New: Jayden Hunt (21, Brighton Grammar)

Purple 77

Jayden Hunt will be making his debut this week  :o

I watch with interest. Well done lad!

Barra13

Well he isn't named on the field and is on the extended so he still needs to make the cut yet.

Big Mac

Quote from: Barra13 on April 15, 2016, 10:34:52 AM
Well he isn't named on the field and is on the extended so he still needs to make the cut yet.

There's a video of him on the dees website telling his mum he will make his debut this sunday

He'd be a bit stiff not to play  :P

T Dog

Dean Kent having a fair crack this year too. Is he finally best 22 yet?

Purple 77

I've actually been a little disappointed with Kent  :-\ he's been OK, but he got a lot of hype over the pre-season.

I thought he'd be having Bennedy's season, and Bennedy would be having Kent's season haha

Aside from his last quarter against North last week, he hasn't done heaps. His start to last year was outstanding despite not touching the ball much, but I feel he hasn't been as impactful as he could be.

For now, yeah he is best 22. He is tussling it with James Harmes atm.

T Dog

Thanks mate. I have been surprised by Bennedy too. Didn't think he had it in him   :-[

Barra13

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 15, 2016, 10:38:23 AM
Quote from: Barra13 on April 15, 2016, 10:34:52 AM

There's a video of him on the dees website telling his mum he will make his debut this sunday

He'd be a bit stiff not to play  :P

They usually do this for first gamers but hadn't seen one so far. So that is why I was a bit iffy. Good on him then.

Purple 77

In the VFL match currently on in the lead up to this match:

Quarter time, Petracca has got 13 touches and took a spectacular mark so I'm told  8)

Toga

Purple 77

Quote from: Toga on April 17, 2016, 01:52:42 PM
Get him in! #PETREKT

Yep. It's official, he is having a blinder at Casey.

He's debuting next week I reckon :D

Big Mac

Casey with a 9 goal to 1 last qtr to finish off the game against the pies

Petracca 34 disposals and a goal

Barra13

In Roosy's press conference he said that Petracca told him he will be playing this week.

Haha.

elephants

Haha thats great ^

Lads, you've smashed up the Pies and there's no discussion?! Whats going on?!

Tommy Bugg had a blinder looking at the stats! Did he play mids with Vince out? Whatever happened it fkn worked!

Purple 77

Quote from: elephants on April 18, 2016, 11:14:51 AM
Haha thats great ^

Lads, you've smashed up the Pies and there's no discussion?! Whats going on?!

Tommy Bugg had a blinder looking at the stats! Did he play mids with Vince out? Whatever happened it fkn worked!

Been too busy letting ossie85 and the rest of my collingwood supporting family know about it  ;)

Bugg still annoys me. WTF is his role?! Bugg just followed the ball everywhere... no defined role IMO... and his disposal is neither good or bad. He is just... there.

Jack Watts starting to repay me with the years of me defending him  :D :D

I thought our last quarter; offensively, was poor. But I think that's because we decided to shut the game down instead of going for a bigger win, to my frustration. But hey, a win against Collingwood is one of the most satisfying feelings you could ask for  8)