Main Menu

Clayton Oliver Rd 1 Rising Star

Started by Big Mac, March 28, 2016, 10:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-28/melbournes-clayton-oliver-wins-round-one-nab-afl-rising-star-nomination

MELBOURNE'S Clayton Oliver has earned the round one NAB AFL Rising Star nomination for his eye-catching debut at the elite level in the Demons' win over the Giants.

The 18-year-old, who was selected with pick No.4 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, celebrated his first game by playing a vital role in a gripping two-point win over GWS at the MCG on Saturday.

Oliver ended the game with 22 disposals (an equal game-high 15 contested), a match-high seven clearances and two tackles â€" all in just 58 per cent game time.

After starting the match on the interchange bench, the youngster was soon thrust straight into the centre square and won his first clearance by hacking the ball forward, much to the delight of the Demons' faithful.

Oliver demonstrated his appetite for the contest with an impressive 17 disposals to half-time, including 11 contested touches.

After tiring slightly and being restricted to one possession in the third quarter, the 187cm ball-winner responded from the opening bounce of the last term.

Oliver helped kick-start the Demons â€" who trailed by 21 points at three-quarter time â€" by getting his hands on the ball at the first two centre clearances of the final term, which led to two Melbourne goals.

At the second centre bounce of the last quarter, the Murray Bushrangers product even shrugged a Dylan Shiel tackle like a seasoned veteran.

Oliver could not contain his excitement when he was interviewed post-match.

"'Macca' [Demons development coach Brendan McCartney] told me to see ball, get ball â€" just go hard at the ball and win it, and that's it," Oliver told Fox Footy.

"I'm that happy."

kilbluff1985

fanTCfool

A million blokes could have got it this week, congratulations to Clayton though

Big Mac

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on March 28, 2016, 11:03:08 PM
George Hewett robbed

pls, Oliver dominated whenever he was on the ground and was a vital part of a 2 point win

Hewett played well in a thrashing

Bill Manspeaker

like I said in the match day thread, up till half time I thought Oliver had the nom in the bag, then he slowed down a fair bit

I didn't see the Sydney game so can't comment on Hewett

I thought Parish would have got the nom, but can totally understand Oliver getting it and good on him. Melbourne have got a beauty

Pkbaldy

My boy gets it week 1!!! Been following him closely for over a year. Has progressed so damn well. Congratulations to him.

Nige

kilbluff1985

guess it doesn't really matter when they get it i'm sure Parish and Hewitt will get nominated at some stage

Hewett had 7 tackles and kicked a goal so i put him ahead of Oliver

Jay

kilbluff1985

Bill Manspeaker

kilbluff1985

Bill Manspeaker

Purple 77

58% game time, 22 touches... so instrumental to the fight back in the 4th quarter...

That was one of the best debuts from a teenager I've ever seen.

And here's me getting all excited about what Petracca will do this season? This guy has really surprised me to be honest, just looks so comfortable.

Holz

It was Oilver v Weits for me and Weits deserved it just.

but hey both will get nominated and im really interested to see who wins it.

again Weits just over Oliver.