Main Menu

What I learnt from Round 1

Started by Cookie Monster, March 26, 2016, 05:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie Monster

As an Essendon fan and an aspiring journalist (Studying sports Journalism) I'm looking forward to putting a lot of focus on the whole league other than just Essendon.

Now Round 1 often sets the scene for what the season is going to bring us and i believe that the performances of each team will represent how their season will play

So what i learnt from Round 1 for Carlton.

Carlton played some really good football against a team who are top four hopefulls. I'm sure many Carlton fans as dissapointed as they may be that they should have won, saw many improvements.

Number 1 pick Jacob Weitering stood out in my eyes after a slow start, Marc Murphy put doubts about his captaincy and leadership to bed and found something he may have lost last season and Bryce Gibbs continues to be stupid.

In the first 15 minutes of the game Carlton dominated, but couldn't put it on the score board and allowed Richmond a small lead but only through faults of their own. 2 50m penalties resulting in 2 goals when the Blues should have been ahead but couldn't take chances.

Now because Carlton competed with a top 8 side, doesn't mean they're going in finals direction. Yes Carlton will improve and won't be as bad as everyone may assume they may be. There will be plenty of games where young kids will play and make mistakes like every player does at some point in their career.

I believe Carlton will win 6-8 games this season, but certainly be competitive in a lot more than what they were last.

Good signs from the Blues in round 1.