Main Menu

MEL vs GWS Round 1

Started by Barra13, March 25, 2016, 11:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

It begins again ... and I have received inspiration from above. Call it the Vibe if you want but I'm going into this Saturday's opening round clash against the GWS Giants at the MCG with somewhat more confidence than I have in the recent past.

And it's not based simply on the result of Melbourne's three NAB Challenge games or the fact that the team emerged victorious from all of them, because I am fully aware that pre season matches mean very little when the hurly burly begins of full pressure AFL matches for premiership points. It is however, about the way the team played out these games, that gives rise to that vibe of optimism.

I am also buoyed by the fact that the Demons' most recent home and away victory took place at their nemesis ground, Etihad Stadium, and also ended a four game losing streak against this week's opponent. And as if that was not enough, two of the Giants' best players from recent seasons won't be saddling up thanks to Jeremy Cameron's four-game suspension and Adam Treloar's defection to Collingwood. With Cam McCarthy out on indefinite leave and Jonathon Patton still on the comeback trail after an ACL operation, the pressure will be on the Giants away from home.

The Giants do have a highly rated midfield led by ruckman Shane Mumford in the ruck and the likes of Callan Ward, Ryan Griffen, Devon Smith, Rhys Palmer, Dylan Shiel, Toby Greene, Lachie Whitfield, Josh Kelly and even that overpaid bloke who used to play for the Demons.

However, it was Melbourne whose midfield won the day the last time they met. Way back then it was Max Gawn who dominated in Mumford's absence with 55 hit-outs, while Bernie Vince and Nathan Jones blitzed the game. Gawn has announced himself not by his words by by his deeds in the NAB Challenge and he has the likes of a reinvigorated Dom Tyson, Jack Viney, Aaron vandenBerg and newcomer Clayton Oliver to provide plenty of opposition to push the much vaunted men in orange and let's face it - the new look Demons are on a roll with their new attacking style of game inculcated by Simon Goodwin to the point where half the media are demanding that the club puts the incumbent coach Paul Roos in front of a firing squad to ensure that he can't resume his coaching duties.

To my mind, it doesn't really matter who calls himself the coach. Melbourne will win and win well because the new attacking regimen will favour its forward line which no longer lacks numbers in terms of personnel capable of hitting the scoreboard and hurting the opposition. Last year's major goal scorers Jesse Hogan and Jeff Garlett are champing at the bit and have plenty of back up with the capability of scoring - Dean Kent, James Harmes, Cam Pedersen and if he rests up there, who is going to stop big Max with those long tentacle arms? Nobody.

Melbourne by 28 points.

THE GAME

Melbourne v GWS Giants at the MCG Saturday 26 March, 2016 at 1.40pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 4 wins GWS Giants 4 wins
At the MCG Melbourne 2 wins GWS Giants 1 win
Past five meetings Melbourne 1 win GWS Giants 4 wins
The Coaches Roos 1 win Cameron 3 wins

MEDIA

TV â€" Fox Footy Channel Live at 1.30pm

RADIO - TBA

THE BETTING

Melbourne to win - $2.30 GWS Giants to win - $1.62

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 15.13.103 d GWS Giants 11.11.77 at Etihad Stadium, Round 23, 2015

Both teams were depleted after a long hard season that had failed to deliver much success but it was Melbourne which seized the initiative after half time and never really allowed the Giants back into the game.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

B: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Colin Garland
HB: Matt Jones, Oscar McDonald, Christian Salem
C: Bernie Vince, Jack Viney, Aaron vandenBerg
HF: Jack Watts, Sam Frost, James Harmes
F: Dean Kent, Jesse Hogan, Jeff Garlett
FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson               
I/C: Tomas Bugg, Ben Kennedy, Clayton Oliver, Cameron Pedersen
EMG: Lynden Dunn, Jack Grimes, Billy Stretch

NEW: Tomas Bugg (GWS Giants), Ben Kennedy (Collingwood), Clayton Oliver (Murray Bushrangers)

GWS GIANTS

B: Heath Shaw, Aidan Corr, Matt Buntine
HB: Nathan Wilson, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
C: Lachie Whitfield, Callan Ward, James Stewart
HF: Rhys Palmer, Rory Lobb, Tom Scully
F: Toby Greene, Adam Tomlinson, Devon Smith
FOLL: Shane Mumford, Ryan Griffen, Dylan Shiel               
I/C: Steve Johnson, Josh Kelly, Caleb Marchbank, Jack Steele
EMG: Stephen Coniglio, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Zac Williams

NEW: Steve Johnson (Geelong)

Purple 77

There better be a good reason why OMac was selected ahead of Dunn.

LF

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 25, 2016, 08:17:28 PM
There better be a good reason why OMac was selected ahead of Dunn.

Yeah I don't get it either,Dunn is one of your best down back seems a bit stupid to me

Big Mac

Dunn would have to be at 75% fitness

Purple 77

I CANNOT BELIEVE WE WON FROM 3QT!

WHAT A WIN!

WHAT A MAN!

<-----------

Barra13

I believe there is some off-field issues going on with Dunn. Word is that he stepped down from the leadership group, that is why he wasn't selected again.

Big Mac

Quote from: Barra13 on March 29, 2016, 01:05:03 AM
I believe there is some off-field issues going on with Dunn. Word is that he stepped down from the leadership group, that is why he wasn't selected again.

Interesting...

Apparently Oscar is injured though so he may need to come back in this week

Purple 77

Quote from: Barra13 on March 29, 2016, 01:05:03 AM

Huh. Well, that would explain a couple of things I've found baffling, like his leadership group demotion and non-selection of Round 1.

Hopefully he gets through it and comes back, as he really is quite a handy player IMO