Main Menu

Brisbane 2016 Season

Started by Ringo, March 14, 2016, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strikes91

First time in a very long time I turned it off and watched the Broncos, I have never seen such an insipid display by any team like that. 61-0 and it could have been much much worse if they kicked straight. What hope do we have with leppitsch sitting in the box leaning on his palm looking clueless.

I've said it to myself all year that he is ruining the team and players confidence playing people out of position. Sam Mayes is not a HB FFS. I don't know where he has in his mind that he is. Sam is one of the most talented players on the list and he gets a lock down role which he has no idea how to do. Pearce Hanley was lethal off HB a few years ago but justin feels the need to play him in a deep forward and occasional stint in the midfield.... no wonder we get smashed in CP every week because he doesn't have the right set up or positions.

/rant

GoLions

I'm still extremely disappointed in Saturday nights display, and for the first time in possibly my entire life, felt ashamed of being a Lions supporter. Even with our young list, I don't get how we can go from almost beating Sydney one week, to what happened against the Pies. It just doesn't make sense.

The thing is, surely Leppa must be doing something right? Young players are re-signing, so off the field things must be going quite well. But after some clear improvement over the first 6 weeks, the last 2 have just completely undone that.

And if Mathieson doesn't get a game this week, I'll lose my shower.

kilbluff1985

Quote from: GoLions on May 17, 2016, 02:11:25 AM

nas

Quote from: kilbluff1985 on May 17, 2016, 08:20:49 AM
Quote from: GoLions on May 17, 2016, 02:11:25 AM

Think they are at the stage now (IMO) to put the cue in the rack, blood these youngsters & get as much as possible into them for 2017. Don't play Beams, get his knee fixed, rehab & also be ready for next season.

Ringo

I have been a little loathe to comment mainly because I would not have been happy with what I woud have written as I was totally disgusted with that performance, At least the Bears when we were getting thrashed still put in effort.  Apart from Zorko, Martin, Beams and maybe Keays there was absolutely no effort in that disgusting first quarter.

Whilst a lot of fans left after half time that thought did not enter my head and it was disappointing that in the fourth quarter the crowd noise was being generated by Pies supporters.

Whilst someone said the excuse for the fumbling was the amount of dew around I do not buy this as it happens every year and we play here.

Know a lot of pressure is on Leppa but remember we went within 3 points of topling Sydney so his game plan is OK. On Saturday for some reason we seemed to have abandoned the idea of taking the game on which we did against Swans and went back to bombing long to contests which we inevitably lost.  Whether this was Leppas instructions or not but he needed to address it as it was not working.

We really appeared slow  on Saturday and when Pies got the turnover seemed to give them the red carpet ride to Goals.

Agree with Strikes Hanley and Mayes should be switched. Admittedly we have injury concerns with defence with Clarkes retirement, Andrews  and McStays injury not helping.  Whilst Merrett is useful organising defence he is much to slow now to get to contests and is a passenger and his D/e is woeful.
Claye Beams seems to be half the player he was last year so maybe a stint in NEAFL would help. Do not think I would ever say this but maybe time to give Paine a recall to Seniors in defence as he is really developing into a defender in the NEAFL.  Hipwood is another who could be brought in.
Is it also time to recall Freeman and Close to the forward line and build for the future?  Whilst Walker and Bell have been good have not been setting the world on fire.
Unfortunately think Green and Taylor are spending too much time trying to get a better contract than concentrating on football.  Maybe more games in the twos will also focus them.
In spite of all of this can not see more that 3/4 changes being made this week.

My changes would be if I were a selector:
Swap Hanley and Mayes
Matthieson for Beams
Hipwood for Claye Beams
Freeman/Close for Walker
Andrews if fit for Paparone who is not showing what he did last year
McStay back for Bell on interchange.
Would be even tempted Paine for Merrett.  However Paine does not have the bulk to match up on Hogan.

We have not been lucky with Beams who has only played 18 games since transferring and agree we need to get him 100% for next season.

Really want to see big effort this week even though we are away to ensure we have reasonable numbers for Hawks game the following week.  Do not want to be sitting in a near empty members section.

elephants

Honestly, I reckon you touch on a good point there Strikes with players playing out of position.

In terms of the engine room, I really think it should look like this: Beams*, Rocky*, Robinson, Bell, Rich Bastinac. Really can't see you losing a contested ball count with Beams and Rocky for elite quality around the ball, the bulls in Robbo and Bell plus Bastinac in there who has shown he's quality when played in the right position.

Zorko is lethal around goals so have him playing forward with stints in the guts and like you said have Hanley off half back, his ball use is immense.

Tom Bell had little to no impact against the Pies, I don't think he has the ability to be one of those 10 possession damaging footballers. Get him on the ball where he's forced to stay in the game!

(I really rate Bell so it kills me seeing him have stinkers when played as a forward.

Keep Squizz as a small forward, Christo is a constant danger around goals, throw Mayes on a wing and let him show us this ball use he's been rated so high for, let Paparone be loose in defence - he's a game changer imo (much like McGovern) and I really wanted him to come home.

I understand the lack of key position players makes it tough but I honestly think playing blokes out of position is more counter productive than anyone might suspect.

Just my two cents haha

Ringo

One thing I forgot to add says it all when the player with the most contested possessions was first year player Ben Keays. Shows the effort players you expect to win put in.

kilbluff1985

i kinda think you guys play better when they think they have nothing to lose like against Swans

expected to win or have a chance like against Pies play poorly

sometimes when you expect to lose you play better

GoLions

TomK

So is Beams done for the season? Or are they still checking it out?

powersuperkents

Well I take back what I said about Jansen this pre-season - it obviously was just the 'NAB-effect' during a windy game :P

He was solid today - how has he been going in the NEAFL and do Lions' supporters think he can break into the Best 22 by years' end?

Ringo

Will be interesting to see how Jansen is used.  It may be a case of rotating Keays, Mattho and Jansen through the middle assuming no injuries.  Personally I think Mattho was dropped to avoid being drawn into the ducking controversy. (My opinion though as remember he is a first year player).
jansen has been going well in the NEAFL over the last month and deserved his call up.