Main Menu

Brisbane 2016 Season

Started by Ringo, March 14, 2016, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powersuperkents

Best QClash to date (hopefully they will be this fierce from now on - it genuinely looked like a Showdown but even more hostile).

I was initially supporting Gold Coast but, like any impartial observer watching that game, I had to swap at half-time (if he got 3 weeks on Rockliff (I admit he was unlucky with that one) he should get 4-6 weeks for the hit on Martin - I haven't seen a more dangerous and unnecessary play in the modern era of football).

Walker did well filling in for Martin (it didn't even seem like they had lost a ruck) and the losing Martin was what the team needed to improve their shot accuracy

It was good to see the Lions dominate play for 4 quarters, they could have flogged GC if they didn't miss so many opportunities (esp. in the first half). Hanley, Robinson, Rich, & Zorko really stood up in the 2nd half (this outplayed Ablett, Hall, Malceski, & Prestia).

They really look like a strong team, just the inexperience in the back & forward line are stopping them from being a finals contender, however they are showing strong signs for the future (I thought Brisbane were impressive against West Coast in R1 as well - scoring 100 pts against the Eagles isn't easy). Cutler & Schache were probably my favourite young KPPs up forward and down the back (I was never aware of Cutler's talent until yesterday).

Ringo

Think the Qclash rivalry really came of age last night.  Been good contest for a while but think last night the bar was raised to tje Local Derby rivalries in other states.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-04-16/match-report-v-suns

Worth watching the video embedded in there and the boys really singing it out with gusto,  Big Stef was even the circle singing so that is a good sign.  When Stef came too he asked how was May thinking he may have caused him some damage.

Was great to be in the crowd for this one and, although in my opinion 20k a little disappointing for a Qclash, was great to hear the noise reverberate around the stands in 4th quarter.  And to get to sing the team song after a long drought as well.

Trust this is an encouragement to keep attacking at all costs and although turnovers cost us great to see and will improve with experience.

@Power Cutler was the Lions player I targeted as the break out player this year and was looking a sad till last night.  Even benched him in my SC (bad move),  :( :(  Cutler spent a fair bit of the night running with Hall and seemed to curb his influence of the previous weeks.

Kicking is still an issue and the 1.9 in second quarter really hurt us as we should have had the Suns put to bed by then.

Schache is really showing something with his attack at the ball in the forward 50 and maybe we have found our Brown replacement.

Was great to see Rich in the middle attacking the ball in the second half.  He seemed to have taken it on himself to try and win the ball as we would be outgunned in the ruck.

Hanley won the Ashcoft Medal for best on ground and deservedly so. 

Bastinac undoubtedly had his best game of the season and Bell also is improving.  Should of had another goal but called due to umpiring pedanticness,

Really hoping Andrews, Gardiner and McStay (who was a late out because of illness)  continue to develop quickly.  Merrett although he organises in defence is definitely left wanting when ball is moved quickly forward and often gives away a free kick as a result. He has lost his speed of the mark and can not stand 5 metres of defenders any more and spoil. (Lynch outmarked him quite often and all his 5 goals came form marks or free kicks.  Only one mark was uncontested.)

need to regroup quickly to prepare for the doggies on Saturday.

nrich102

If Martin doesn't get up for no next week, will we play West or Smith? I mean might be a good team to get Smith into AFL footy against :P

roo boys!

Enjoying seeing my boy Basti live up to the promise he showed in 2012/2013 at North :)

elephants

Quote from: roo boys! on April 18, 2016, 06:44:10 PM
Enjoying seeing my boy Basti live up to the promise he showed in 2012/2013 at North :)

Best game for the season I reckon! Seems to be finding his feet, been good bar that one quieter match against North (to be expected).

roo boys!

Quote from: elephants on April 18, 2016, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: roo boys! on April 18, 2016, 06:44:10 PM

Best game for the season I reckon! Seems to be finding his feet, been good bar that one quieter match against North (to be expected).
I haven't seen any Brisbane games due to not having Foxtel but if they have him playing the inside mid role he's always been better at (perhaps replacing Redden?) then he'll have a good year. Maybe, just maybe I won't be the only person in Australia carrying him in my Supercoach midfield #loyaltyoversuccess

strikes91

We're going down the same track as previous years with being second to the ball. Big problem and with Sydney this week it wont get much better.

Ringo

Seemed to do away with what we had done the first 4 rounds and use the wings more than going through the centre. Although we turned over possession much rather persist with that stryle than the style we dished up against the dogs.  Do not mind getting beaten playing that attacking style as we need to learn that game plan if we are to come up the ladder. 
Hope we do not get sucked into Swans style this weekend though.

GoLions

Keays set to debut this week against the Swans :D

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ben-keays-is-set-to-make-his-afl-debut-for-brisbane-lions-against-sydney-swans/news-story/94805237fd307f07be20397b1c28e2c0?from=public_rss

Green going to miss a few games though apparently, and I also heard somewhere that Bastinac could miss this week? Christensen should be fine though.

kilbluff1985

noticed Rocky played forward a bit last week do you guys think he was just being eased into it

Ringo

Just part of our rotations within the 90 allowed KB.  He also spent some time in defence as well so not a lot to be read into it. 
Watch this week though to see with Bastinac out as he should have more time on the ball.

elephants

Any word on how far away Beams is boys?

Ringo

from our injury report

"After overcoming an off-season shoulder reconstruction, Dayne Beams has battled knee tendinitis post-Christmas that has prevented him from playing so far this season.

However he is now running trouble-free and on the verge on returning in the next couple of weeks.

“Dayne returned to main training last week. It went really well. He’ll do the same this week and then we’ll have a discussion with the coaches to see when he’s ready to return.”

SilverLion

Schache out. Anyone know why? Being rested?

Ringo

Schache listed as rested on the AFL site so should be back.  Makes sense as we said at start of season will not put too much pressure on him.