Main Menu

Brisbane 2016 Season

Started by Ringo, March 14, 2016, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Green getting over fractured foot so may have erred on safe side.

strikes91

Merrett will be a late withdrawal (illness) for Claye Beams

Ringo

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-03-27/match-report-round-1

The official match report from the game against the Eagles.

Think it is a pretty fair assessment.

What impressed me was our effort in contested possessions and clearances a vast improvement on last year.

It was obvious our lack of decent NAB games had an effect on our play and structure.  Even discounting the washed out game remember the first was played in gusty conditions at Burpengary and the third in wet at Metricon. Not ideal conditions for working on structures.

The other positive was kicking 100+ points something we did not do very often last year.

I would expect to see this side continue to develop throughout the year and be up and about for the first Qclash. we are starting behind the other teams apart from Saints who also showed a fade out.

lastly I do not think there was anything in Robbos report but who knows with the MRP.

Rusty00

Any news on Robbo's calf? Or did they just leave him off as a precaution seeing as the game was over at that stage?

strikes91

Wasn't to bad. To many times still where they had 4 on 1 in the fwd line though. all the new lions debut players were good. Bring on round 2

Ringo

Quote from: Rusty00 on March 28, 2016, 01:54:04 PM
Any news on Robbo's calf? Or did they just leave him off as a precaution seeing as the game was over at that stage?
Nothing said as yet will find out more tomorrow.  He has been cleared of report though.

elephants

Hey lads, I watched the game on Sunday obviously but I wasn't watching Haney too closely. Where is his spot in Brisbane's best 22? Is it halfback or is it wing?

Been offered him in a draft league and was just wondering whether or not he was a chance for defensive status this season or are those days likely over?

Ringo

he played on the wing mostly but will have a better ide when I go to the game Saturday.

On another matter and a sad note Justin Clarke has announced his retirement from football due to latest headknock.  Really feel for him after really breaking out last year,

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-03-31/clarkes-future

nrich102

Clarkey :( Was a very solid defender and he's left a large hole in our defense. Probably the best thing he could do though, players shouldn't keep on playing if its going to have major effects on them as they get older.

Ringo

From Justin Clarkes Press conference this morning

Brisbane Lions ‏@brisbanelions 3m3 minutes ago Brisbane, Queensland

JC: The thing that scared me the most was when I was on my way to uni and I completely forgot the route, I can't describe the feeling I felt.

Really reinforcing the decision he made but saying he can concentrate on studies which is the silver lining.  Will put link to whole presser up when posted.

Rusty00

Really sad for Justin Clarke.

What's even sadder is I can see this sort of thing becoming more of a common occurrence.

SilverLion

Unbelievably sad to see such a good bloke retire at such a young age. His health comes first, so I agree with his decision 100%. The gap he is going to leave down back is unimaginable. McStay is going to need to step up now.

GoLions

Really feel for him, hopefully doesn't have any major issues later in life. Wish him all the best. He's a smart kid though, so hopefully he'll be alright.

Ringo

Clarke is studying to be an aeronautical engineer so hopefully can fulfill his dream here.  Very emotional presser and from reports lots of tears from the boys. 

Presser no posted

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-03-31/clarkeys-decision

nrich102

Must say I had my doubts about Walker when we got him, but very happy with him now. Hasn't been the best in front of goals, but works his heart out every week, and really lifted today when he needed to after Martin went off and held his own against Nicholls.