Main Menu

Brisbane 2016 Season

Started by Ringo, March 14, 2016, 04:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringo

Thought I would start a new thread for 2016 with the season fast approaching.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/afl/teams/brisbane/dayne-beams-ruled-out-indefinitely-with-knee-tendinitis-brisbane-lions-sweat-on-dayne-zorko-report/news-story/abb0db30ea6c8b428738fa709fee4593

Beams will be out for an indefinite period.

Zorko  will miss round 1 if he does an early guilty plea

Article states that Bundy or Greenie could come in for Rd 1 but will be a risk with both underdone.  Personally would not risk them early in the season as i would play Lester on one flank with Bell on the other.  Squizzy can also do more mid time. 

GoLions

vossy12

Anyone with me thinking that we could be pretty strong this year? Sure its only and you have to have some hope starting the season but i really think we can make an impact this season. We won't be that strong but i think we have a decent group of lads and can produce a decent season, i don't think we are as bad as some are saying we will (below Essendon) i really think we can push up into the 12-10 position.

GoLions

We have a pretty brutal start to the season, which could impact how we perform after round 10 or so. Combine that with Beams out indefinitely along with the extremely young (and therefore inconsistent) list we have, I would be over the moon if we finished above 15th.

We'll probably get our upset or two, but I think a lot of teams are going to be competitive this year, so the main thing I'll be looking at is how we perform in red time, and how much we can increase our percentage from last year by.

nrich102

Yeah, 15th or above is what we should be aiming for. Who will we finish above though? Carlton, Essendon and??

Ringo

Not really care where we finish as we are still in the rebuilding phase but really looking at big improvements in a few areas where we were woeful last year.

1) Contested possessions -  We were way done the list and very rarely were on top in this area.
2) Pressure in the forward 50 - Opposition were allowed easy outs on most occasions.  Hoping the additions will put the pressure on to try and lock the ball in the forward 50.
3) Transitions from the rebound 50.  Would like to see big improvement here with less reliant on handballs and more direct and accurate kicking.  Too often we were hurt by turnovers form handballs under pressure.
4) And the big one is cutting down goals scored against us in red time.  In a lot of games we were very competitive for 20 minutes and matched a lot of teams only to have 2/4 goals kicked against us in this red zone.

Will be happy to see improvement in these areas regardless of where we finish especially with our brutal start to the season.

Big Mac

Quote from: nrich102 on March 16, 2016, 08:43:57 AM
Yeah, 15th or above is what we should be aiming for. Who will we finish above though? Carlton, Essendon and??

Saints? maybe

GoLions

Quote from: Big  Mac on March 16, 2016, 02:24:16 PM

Saints? maybe
Dees? ;)

I think Saints/Dees/Lions could be fairly close by the end of the year tbh

Big Mac

Quote from: GoLions on March 16, 2016, 02:26:25 PM

Saints? maybe
Dees? ;)

Nah no chance  ;)

Ringo

Quote from: Big  Mac on March 16, 2016, 03:25:07 PM
Quote from: GoLions on March 16, 2016, 02:26:25 PM

Saints? maybe
Dees? ;)

Nah no chance  ;)
Great chance  ;D ;D

Ringo

Is anyone else a little concerned we have gone in a little tall for Subi with McStay, Schache, Freeman and Walker all named on field. Think that may be a bit much when you consider bench.

B    #27 Darcy Gardiner    #21 Daniel Merrett    #22 Marco Paparone
HB    #32 Sam Mayes    #31 Harris Andrews    #10 Daniel Rich
C    #35 Ryan Lester    #3 Allen Christensen    #27 Lewis Taylor
HF    #11 Pearce Hanley    #25 Dan McStay    #34 Jonathan Freeman
F    #14 Josh Walker    #23 Josh Schache    #7 Tom Bell
FOL    #12 Stefan Martin    #5 Mitch Robinson    #38 Tom Rockliff
INT FROM
   #2 Ryan Harwood    #4 Ryan Bastinac    #6 Josh Green
     #8 Rohan Bewick    #17 Claye Beams    #18 Nicholas Robertson
     #26 Tom Cutler         

ADEZ

Hey lads, just wanted to get some confirmation, if Stef goes down or needs support for the odd game will Archie Smith likely be the one to step up?

Going Grimley to him allows me to take Lee instead of Papley and keep a D/F link on my forward bench.

Ringo

West or Smith will be the ones promoted.  They have been working in tandem in the NEAFL.  Will depend on Team structure probably if the need arises.

ADEZ

Quote from: Ringo on March 25, 2016, 12:47:23 PM
West or Smith will be the ones promoted.  They have been working in tandem in the NEAFL.  Will depend on Team structure probably if the need arises.

Cheers Ringo, a bit to ponder yet.

Nige

Quote from: Ringo on March 24, 2016, 10:02:32 PM
Is anyone else a little concerned we have gone in a little tall for Subi with McStay, Schache, Freeman and Walker all named on field. Think that may be a bit much when you consider bench.

B    #27 Darcy Gardiner    #21 Daniel Merrett    #22 Marco Paparone
HB    #32 Sam Mayes    #31 Harris Andrews    #10 Daniel Rich
C    #35 Ryan Lester    #3 Allen Christensen    #27 Lewis Taylor
HF    #11 Pearce Hanley    #25 Dan McStay    #34 Jonathan Freeman
F    #14 Josh Walker    #23 Josh Schache    #7 Tom Bell
FOL    #12 Stefan Martin    #5 Mitch Robinson    #38 Tom Rockliff
INT FROM
   #2 Ryan Harwood    #4 Ryan Bastinac    #6 Josh Green
     #8 Rohan Bewick    #17 Claye Beams    #18 Nicholas Robertson
     #26 Tom Cutler         
As an outsider looking in, that was the first thing I noticed. It seems like a very tall team at both ends, which is why I was surprised Josh Green was left out.