Main Menu

West Coast 2016 Season Thread

Started by LF, March 14, 2016, 01:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LF

First thing up is Welli and Sheed likely won't be ready for round 1

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-13/wellingham-wont-make-season-start-for-west-coast

SHARROD Wellingham is unlikely to play round one but West Coast have some selection headaches just a fortnight out with a number of players needing to play in the WAFL next week, according to coach Adam Simpson.

The Eagles rounded off their pre-season campaign with a 105-point drubbing of Essendon in oppressive conditions at Domain Stadium on Sunday.

Simpson said the Eagles got through the match unscathed but they do have a few injury concerns heading into round one.

Click here for full match details and stats

Wellingham did not play against the Bombers after suffering a knee knock at training a couple of weeks ago, and Simpson confirmed he would not play in the WAFL next week and would be hard pressed to play against the Brisbane Lions in round one on Easter Sunday.

"It's going to be tough isn't it," Simpson said.

"We think he's turned the corner but now he's just getting the base back up."

Simpson said that Jack Redden, Lewis Jetta, Dom Sheed and Mark Hutchings were all likely to play for East Perth in the WAFL next weekend in a bid to prove their fitness for round one.

Sheed was a late withdrawal from the game against Essendon after pulling up sore in his injured knee on Saturday. He has been undergoing a long rehab process on the knee after requiring minor surgery prior to Christmas and appears unlikely to be available for round one, but he should play for East Perth next week.

Hutchings has had a sore calf and could have played on Sunday but has been set for the WAFL next week.

Jetta injured his calf in the second NAB Challenge game against Gold Coast but may play some minutes in the WAFL to ensure he is right for round one.

Simpson was pleased with Redden's first hit-out for the club against the Bombers, but confirmed he would need to play next week.

LF

Sheed out for at least 10 weeks with a torn pectoral muscle

eg6914

Quote from: LF on March 21, 2016, 09:31:31 PM
Sheed out for at least 10 weeks with a torn pectoral muscle
nooo, massive loss for us :'(

LF

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2016-03-22/thursday-deadline-for-jetta

WEST Coast coach Adam Simpson says the Eagles will make a decision on Thursday as to whether star recruit Lewis Jetta will play against the Brisbane Lions at Domain Stadium on Sunday, as the former Swan battles to recover from a calf strain.

Jetta did very little in the Eagles' light 30-minute skills and recovery session on Monday.

He has not played since he strained his calf in the first quarter of the Eagles' second NAB Challenge match on March 3.

Jetta was a chance to play for East Perth in the WAFL last Saturday to prepare for round one, but he instead trained on Friday and had the weekend off.   

He walked a couple of laps with youngster Malcolm Karpany, who had a compression bandage on his left hamstring, before joining in some stationary handball drills.

He left the track early as the main squad continued to train.

Simpson told Fox Sports on Monday that Jetta was touch and go to make his West Coast debut this weekend.

"Fingers crossed we get through training this week and he's available," Simpson said.

"We don't want to play too many players that are underdone and he definitely would be underdone if we played him. That decision will come later in the week. We may need to play him though."

Chris Masten did some running and is progressing well from his ankle injury.

Dom Sheed did not appear on the track. He had surgery on his torn pectoral tendon last night and will miss 10 weeks, while Sharrod Wellingham is eyeing off a round four return as he rebounds from a knock to the knee.

Simpson said Jack Redden was available to face his old club, but said the decision rests with the match committee.

"He's played two games now … so we think that's the games required, the minutes required. He's available. So now it'll come down to selection."

The Eagles did some ground ball drills with wet footballs in anticipation of some rain in Perth on Sunday.

Assistant coaches Brady Rawlings and Dean Cox dunked footballs in tubs of water before running some ground ball pick-up drills on a warm and dry Monday afternoon in Perth.

jvalles69

I've got a feeling Redden and Jetta won't line up round 1.  Would like to see Redden play against Brissie, but not sure it will happen.

elephants

Quote from: jvalles69 on March 22, 2016, 07:30:41 PM
I've got a feeling Redden and Jetta won't line up round 1.  Would like to see Redden play against Brissie, but not sure it will happen.

Yeah it would be cool but I'd rather see him get 100% then smash the hell out of the Hawks in round 2 ;)

Gigantor

So I'm having a crack at the round 1 team

Obviously Brown, Masten, Sheed and Wellingham are out but I'm also assuming Jetta and Hutch wont play either

Starting 18 + Lycett I'm happy with, the last three are really tough, I've gone fairly conservative but I hope Simmo gives one of the young guys a crack

B: Will Schofield, Eric Mackenzie, Shannon Hurn
HB: Brad Sheppard, Jeremy McGovern, Jackson Nelson
C: Andrew Gaff, Matt Priddis, Liam Duggan
HF:Elliot Yeo, Jack Darling, Mark LeCras
F: Jamie Cripps, Josh Kennedy, Josh Hill
FOLL: Nic Naitanui, Jack Redden , Luke Shuey
INT: Scott Lycett, Xavier Ellis, Sam Butler, Patrick McGinnity/Jamie Bennell

RaisyDaisy

Wouldnt be surprised to see Redden miss this week too

elephants

Agreed on Redden.

Its a dangerous game to be playing but even without Redden and those who are 50/50 we should have enough to get the job done at home against the Lions imo.

LF

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-03-23/eagles-shore-up-list-resign-masten-sheppard-and-schofield

WEST Coast duo Will Schofield and Brad Sheppard have signed contract extensions on the eve of the 2016 season to remain at the club until the end of 2019.

Schofield, 27, is likely to see out his career at the Eagles and needs just 18 games to qualify for life membership.

Sheppard, 24, has developed into an outstanding defender under coach Adam Simpson and was the Eagles' player of the finals last year.

He could also qualify for life membership under the new deal should he play the majority of games over the next four years, having already played 84 matches since he was drafted with pick No.7 in the 2009 NAB AFL Draft.

LF

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane  13m13 minutes ago
West Coast has placed Mitch Brown on the long-term injury list and upgraded Brant Colledge from the rookie list as his replacement.

Very interesting,looks like he might be playing then if we have done this since
But we never upgraded anyone for Cavka did we?

LF

Random question has anyone read the players Q&A on their profiles on the West Coast site,some of the answers are hilarious.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/player-profile/josh-kennedy

LF

Shuey and McGovern both did not train this morning  :-\ ,I hope they are fine for the weekend

elephants

Quote from: LF on April 05, 2016, 05:39:43 PM
Shuey and McGovern both did not train this morning  :-\ ,I hope they are fine for the weekend

As poor as Freo's form is, we really do need both of them at 100%. Given they're two of our more injury/niggle prone players I'm pretty fine with them missing the odd session, particularly if its early in the week.

jvalles69

Quote from: elephants on April 05, 2016, 05:42:45 PM
Quote from: LF on April 05, 2016, 05:39:43 PM

As poor as Freo's form is, we really do need both of them at 100%. Given they're two of our more injury/niggle prone players I'm pretty fine with them missing the odd session, particularly if its early in the week.

Simmo said in the presser that Shuey had rolled his ankle before the game, but he ended up playing and playing well, so I'd say they are just taking some pressure off it.  McGovern will be managed all season with his shoulders so think they are both safe.