Main Menu

Diamond in the rough

Started by auscoyote, February 01, 2016, 03:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auscoyote

Early days but we might of snagged one here :)

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2016-02-01/allen-settling-in

As the 2015 National Draft neared its conclusion in November, most people assumed West Coast would pass on its final selection of the meet.

Having bolstered its midfield and backline stocks with three quality players in Luke Partington, Tom Cole and Kurt Mutimer, the Eagles’ recruiting staff waited with bated breath to see if a quality forward might slip through the cracks.

West Coast’s diamond in the rough was none other than Matthew Allen, an imposing 193cm, 88kg Mt Gambier native who fits the mould of a modern forward: strong, mobile and clean with the footy.

The former Glenelg star says his adjustment to the ‘big time’ had gone smoothly, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t without its challenges.

“Footy is a fulltime job now,” Allen said.

“The physical demands are trying; you are always doing something and on the big days especially you are training in the morning, have a bit of a break during the day, and then you are back doing some more work later. We have got great coaches and support to get us through. I’m absolutely loving it.”

Teammates Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling have been playing the role of big brother to Allen since his arrival at West Coast headquarters, regularly pulling the 18-year-old aside at training to offer their support or a pearl of wisdom.

Allen said while he needed more muscle to tussle with the duo, he was slowly learning their tricks of the trade to combat the competition’s best defenders.

“The way they understand the game and read the game is incredible,” he said.

“That will come as I better understand the game plan. It’s not just understanding it, but applying it and consistently getting it right. That’s something I aspire to do.”

While Allen would love to debut in the blue and gold this season, he is taking his development one step and one session at a time.

“I want to stay on the park all year and avoid getting injured,” Allen said.

“As long as I can do that I’ll be out on the training paddock and will give myself a chance to play my best footy.”

Mr.Craig

The_Captain

kennedys replacement in 5-6 years!

auscoyote

Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 01, 2016, 04:05:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTymzc0-ukk

Thanks Mr C.
Interesting viewing. 4 Goals matched up on Kieran Collins. Not bad for pick 62, at least we got something to work with.

Quote from: The_Captain on February 01, 2016, 04:10:28 PM

Hogan would be better at the end of 2017 ;D
The bonus being it would shatter my docker mates ;D ;D

Big Mac

Quote from: auscoyote on February 01, 2016, 11:05:43 PM
Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 01, 2016, 04:05:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTymzc0-ukk

Thanks Mr C.
Interesting viewing. 4 Goals matched up on Kieran Collins. Not bad for pick 62, at least we got something to work with.

Quote from: The_Captain on February 01, 2016, 04:10:28 PM

Hogan would be better at the end of 2017 ;D
The bonus being it would shatter my docker mates ;D ;D

woah woah woah slow down there mate

auscoyote

Sorry, getting ahead of myself :-X

Big Mac

Quote from: auscoyote on February 01, 2016, 11:51:18 PM
Sorry, getting ahead of myself :-X

You guys can have Aaron Black or something  ;D ;)

elephants

I think its pretty clear Darling isn't going to be the number 1 forward at 191cm. This lad looks like an excellent investment for the future, real good head on his shoulders.