BBL05: Discussion and Fantasy [Not sure how the other thread disappeared]

Started by PowerBug, December 10, 2015, 10:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

So I figured I would open a new thread for this one, just to keep it seperate as it might be a useful tool for people and it'll be easier than flicking through the pages. In the next week I will attempt to put up what I believe are the Best XI for each BBL side, which will hopefully ease some pain in selection our fantasy sides. Everything here is entirely my opinion, I will try my best to put my selectors cap on though and not just pick my favourite players.

In this thread:
Nige is putting up a sentence or two on each player.
PowerBug is putitng together a best XI and a general squad preview.

The next two posts will have everything collated nicely :)
A Port supporter with a full set of his own teeth
Coach of WXV side Rio De Janeiro Jaguars
2023 SC: Rank 126

PowerBug

Adelaide Strikers
Full Squad
Bats:
Alex Ross - Best XI player as PB has pointed out, but bats too low behind some bigger names. I'd look elsewhere.
Brad Hodge - The old timer has still got it and should be best XI unless the Strikers wanna blood youth. Most likely coming at 5 behind Ludeman, Simmons, Head and Jaya though. A gamble, potential POD.
Craig Simmons (Spin) - Surprised everyone by bowling spin and actually being decent at it last BBL, will open with Ludeman and has shown he can find a boundary and score big. Consider.
Travis Head (Spin) - Captain, will play and likely bat first drop. Also bowls himself when he wants. A good pick. He's in my team.
Kelvin Smith - He's a good player, but is likely down the pecking order. Injuries, form or rotation are his only chance I reckon. Don't bother.
Jono Dean - Unlucky really. He's definitely their next best and will get games at some point. Middle order bat though. Tread with caution.
Mahela Jayawardene - The replacement international for Kieron Pollard. Doesn't have his predecessor's allround ability, but is a Lankan great that can hit it. Should play most games but might be rested given they don't have a bye. Consider.
Jake Lehmann - One of the brightest prospects in SA, has been doing well for his state. Unfortunately isn't a walk up start but might get a chance at the expense of Ross, Hodge or Jaya. Probably won't play enough to be worthwhile.
Alex Keath - This bloke is flowering terrible and useless and literally filling up a spot on the roster, he's the last guy you should pick from this squad.

Keep:
Tim Ludeman - The only man with gloves in this side, opens the batting and can find the boundary. Must consider for your starting keeper spot. Will also play every week with no bye.

Pace:
Michael Neser (Bat) - Allrounder who bowls more than he bats. Should feature as one of four pace options for the Strikers. Better options going around though fantasy wise.
Ben Laughlin - This bloke can seriously bowl and should be Richo's partner in crime all tournament. Worth picking but not for me.
Gary Putland - Been around a while and could get a run but probably the last Strikers pacer you should pick.
Kane Richardson - Hasn't got a run for SA surprisingly, but he's a Big Bash regular and will spearhead their attack. Have a good look here.
Billy Stanlake - I'm a huge fan of this bloke and reckon the Strikers have got a real winner here. Comes cheap and should be one of four pace bowlers. If he doesn't perform and step up to the occasion, he's first on the chopping block. I like him and have him.
Hamish Kingston - I like this guy and think he's actually a decent player. Could get a look in over Neser or Stanlake but I wouldn't bet on it, I think he's ahead of Putland though. Better options out there.

Spin:
Jon Holland - Botha leaving should have been good for him, but the Strikers got Rashid in as an international meaning unless they want two pure spinners, he's going to be unlucky and miss out. Simmons and Head bowling spin part time doesn't help his cause. A no from me.
Adil Rashid (Bat) - New international for the Strikers, comes in as an allrounder who is known and loved by the coach. Should play every game and will be loved by many. Definitely consider this guy.

Best XI
Tim Ludeman
Craig Simmons
Travis Head
Mahela Jayawardene
Brad Hodge
Alex Ross
Adil Rashid
Michael Neser
Kane Richardson
Ben Laughlin
Billy Stanlake

Pushing for selection
Jon Holland - This really is a game by game case as to whether they see two spinners a need. If so Stanlake is the unlucky one to drop out. He and Rashid both spin it the same way, meanwhile Travis Head is capable of providing some left to right spin overs.
Jono Dean - Played really well when given the chance in BBL04, they might attempt to play the extra pure bat and trust Simmons and Head to bowl 4 overs between them. This is where I think Neser's spot might be in danger.

Not even close
Alex Keath - I wouldn't be picking him to play unless they are really struggling.

Final Word
Not too many selection dramas here. Kingston I can't see breaking into the side, Putland is definitely a chance, as is Jake Lehmann. Jayawardene might not play every game so watch carefully there. Gillespie coaches Rashid at Yorkshire as well I think he will thrive in the Big Bash this season, great player. Rashid, Ludeman, Laughlin are my picks from this team.

Melbourne Stars
Full Squad
Bats:
David Hussey - Captain this season, probably the only thing keeping him in the team in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love him a lot, but I don't think he'll bat or bowl too much. Look elsewhere I reckon.
Glenn Maxwell (Spin) - Love him or hate him, this guy is fantasy gold. He bats, he bowls, he usually gets involved in the field as well. Will be on international duty later on but he's worth picking until then.
Kevin Pietersen - This bloke was one of the best picks last season and that won't change. Runs galore here, you can even captain him. Stars have a few byes but also DGWs, a great pick.
Rob Quiney - Don't think he'll play too much to start with, but when the guys on international duties go, he'll come in and have an impact. Still not sure I'd pick him though.
Marcus Stoinis (Pace) - Should finally see some Big Bash action. I expect him to play every game and he'll definitely bat because he should open with Wright. A chance to bowl depending on what Huss is thinking. No harm in his selection.
Luke Wright (Pace) - Stars man since day dot, opens the innings and will continue to do so. Scores well usually, but doesn't bowl these days and I wouldn't expect that to suddenly happen again. Worth a punt regardless.

Keep:
Peter Handscomb - Put his name of the lips of BBL fans last year with a scintillating ton to win the game. Didn't keep with Triffitt wearing the gloves but given the make up of the Stars squad this year, it makes sense he'll stand behind the stumps this season. Might bad a tad low to be worth it over a Dunk or Ludeman type.
Sam Harper - Mark my words, superstar in the making. Don't bother though, he's behind Hank and Triffit.
Tom Triffit - Go to man for keeping last season, Handscomb keeping for Vics recently and doing well, plus the talent available means that this bloke probably won't get a run unless Stephen Fleming wants to omit a better player. Even if he plays, will bat too low. Nope.

Pace:
Scott Boland - Great player, potentially a bit underrated. You could do a lot worse than picking this fella.
James Faulkner (Bat) - Bowls well, bats well (albeit sometimes a tad low), worth picking until he likely leaves to join the national squad.
Evan Gulbis (Bat) - Surprising recruitment but he can play, not sure there's a spot for him in the best XI though but a new coach for the Stars might bring some new ideas and might give him a sniff.
John Hastings (Bat) - The Duke! Basically spearheads the Stars attack and will net you points through his amazing ability to take wickets in high volume. Will slog some runs if needed as well, has to be looked at.
Ben Hilfenhaus - Joined Gulbis in moving north to join the Stars, will most likely replace Jackson Bird so you could pick him if you think he's the POD you're looking for.
Daniel Worrall - Not overly popular amongst Stars fans after his last Big Bash and has a few to displace to earn a run. Has been slaying for SA though so form could see him in. The other options available are better.

Spin:
Michael Beer - Much loved figure at the Stars but isn't as good as he used to be. Whether he plays or not is hard to say, but he probably won't keep Zampa out.
Adam Zampa - Join the Stars and becomes their main spinner you'd think which means Beery sits out unless they want the experience. Unlikely that two spinners will play with Maxi available as a spin option. I think everyone needs a spinner in their fantasy side, this bloke is an option.

Best XI
Luke Wright
Marcus Stoinis
Kevin Pietersen
Glenn Maxwell
Peter Handscomb
David Hussey
James Faulkner
John Hastings
Adam Zampa
Ben Hilfenhaus
Scott Boland

Pushing for selection
Evan Gulbis - This guy can play, I am surprised by the move to the Stars from Hobart, I don't see a guaranteed spot for him in this side.
Rob Quiney - When he played last seas he was really good. He'll come in for the back end of the tournament when the ODI players head off.

Not even close
Sam Harper - Nothing against the kid, but between Handscomb and Triffit the keeping duties will be covered. And there's no chance of breaking in as a bat only.

Final Word
Pick a Stars player at your own risk. The best options performance wise (Maxwell, Faulkner) are bound to be on international duty for the end of the tournament. I am expecting a heap of rotation, if Dave Hussey wasn't the skipper I wouldn't have him in my best XI, Kevin Pietersen WILL miss at least one game through resting. Handscomb should play over Triffit and the two quicks should keep Worrall out of the side. One of the strongest on paper but this comes with fantasy caution.

Sydney Thunder
Full Squad
Bats:
Aiden Blizzard - Proven to a solid top order player for the Thunder but you'll find better options available.
Jake Doran - Has talent and can play, probably won't see too much action though.
Michael Hussey - Captain, still has it, bats high enough to be worthwhile but when it comes down to preference, I'd prefer others.
Usman Khawaja - Will likely be playing a few games to show he's worthy of his spot in the national side for the remaning tests, if he doesn't impress he'll continue to play for the Thunder where he'll reward you for selecting him.
Jonte Pattison - Good kid, terrible pick. Unfortunately one of those blokes that won't get a look in.
Kurtis Patterson - Middle order batsman so you're gonna be hoping the Thunder either having batting collapses or he's raking in catches. Find someone else.
Ben Rohrer - Needs to get out there in the middle to do well, again a middle order player so you may as well look elsewhere.
Shane Watson (Pace) - Can't review the imminent LBWs, but he should bat high enough and bowl a bit to make you consider him. I won't pick him because I don't like him.
Jacques Kallis (Pace) - You'd be foolish not to consider this man. Had a great Big Bash last time around and that will happen again. Great captain option for the first round as well. Lock.
Ahillen Beadle - His cool name is probably the most appealing thing about him. Has played before, was good but not great, pick him if you like his name and aren't taking this thing seriously.

Keep:
Chris Hartley - Only keeper on the list, cheap as chips. Stick him on your bench and be glad you did. Won't bat high enough to start but he'll get a go from time to time and should get some catches from behind the stumps.

Pace:
Patrick Cummins - If he's not injured, he might get injured and if neither occurs then he'll play, bowl well and be a good pick, better and more durable options out there.
Andrew McDonald (Bat) - He's an old man and a shell of the player he was, I wouldn't pick him and I'm not sure the Thunder will either.
Gurinder Sandhu - I have a man crush, so the bias in me says that you should probably re-evaluate your life choices if you don't have him in your team. Leads the attack and will get you wickets. Starred last season.
Andre Russell (Bat) - This man in sensational. The international will play and quickly become loved if he isn't already. Bowls more than he bats but can wield the willow. Have a look.
Clint McKay - Moved north for more game time as his days at the Stars were cooked. Will play and does alright but if you're picking a pure bowler from the Thunder, Sandhu is your man, not this guy.

Spin:
Fawad Ahmed - Comes up from the Renegades and will be their primary and probably only spinner unless somebody bowls part time which is unlikely because Fawad is love, Fawad is life. Get around him, no seriously, consider long and hard.
Chris Green - Can also bat but probably won't get much of a go given how many damn allrounders the Thunder have, Fawad the preferred spinners. Not an option.

Best XI
Jacques Kallis
Shane Watson
Michael Hussey
Aiden Blizzard
Kurtis Patterson
Ben Rohrer
Chris Hartley
Andre Russell
Gurinder Sandhu
Clint McKay
Fawad Ahmed

Pushing for selection
Usman Khawaja - This one depends on Cricket Australia's plans, if he is not going back into the test side then he'll play, he'll bat at 3 with Rohrer or Patterson dropping out and the rest going down one.
Andrew McDonald - Makes it tough with 3 all rounders already in the squad, but he's played before and played okay so he'll be wanting games no doubt.

Not even close
Jonte Pattison - This Under19 player will no doubt be something, having captained the ACT/NSW Country side in the recent u19 champs, but I don't think he'll play in a batting heavy squad.

Final word
A bat heavy squad, any of the top 3 would be good choices for fantasy, Kallis, Watson, Hussey I like. On the other side Sandhu is very clearly the standout quick so I'd be locking him in. Fawad Ahmed has no competition for spin and none of the bats bowl spin, he'll be playing every game barring injury.

Sydney Sixers
Full Squad
Bats:
Moises Henriques (Pace) - Skipper but currently injured, otherwise is a solid pick for your team.
Steve Smith - I don't think much needs to be said other than you'll have to trade him out after Round 1, worth it for the one week you'll have him.
Jordan Silk - Remembered for that catch. Bats well but down the order so you should look at other guys.
Michael Lumb - Opens, can hit it, consider.
Nic Maddinson - Arguably one of the best young batsmen in the country, probably opens with Lumb and so you can pick either. Don't hesitate to select him.
Ed Cowan - Should get a run giving the availability of other Sixers batsmen but Lumb and Maddinson are better choices.

Keep:
Brad Haddin - Will be the gloveman for the entirety of their campaign now that he's no longer in the national side so you could pick him, but he'll bat too low to justify selection.
Ryan Carters - Has left keeping behind to focusing on destroying lives with the bat, a successful endeavour to date. I like him, a POD for sure given other, bigger names.

Pace:
Mitchell Starc - Ankle injury means he's out of the game for a bit and I don't think he'll return in time. If fit he goes to the test team because he's the lovechild of Aus fast bowling and probably doesn't have to prove fitness like Khawaja.
Jackson Bird - Wearing pink this season instead of green. Gets the nod from me, but others might like Abbott or Bollinger more.
Josh Hazlewood - If he plays you should have him in your side, but if he's on national duties then he's taking up a spot in your team for no good reason.
Sean Abbott (Bat) - Bowls, bats and all that good stuff. A proven pick that should be considered.
Ben Dwarshius (Bat) - Will miss out I reckon but could get a few games, there's at least three other pace options in this team alone you should pick before this lad.
Doug Bollinger - Gotta love Dougie. Pick him and he'll reward you with wickets and the fact he's an absolute lad (apart from that one time he didn't give me and my mates his autograph).
Mickey Edwards - Oh Mickey, bad luck mate, you won't get picked any rate, hey Mickey! Yeah... just don't pick him. He won't play unless there are injuries galore.

Spin:
Nathan Lyon - Pick him while you can because he's well worth it. Probably worth turning into the next bloke after that.
Johan Botha (Bat) - Swapped Strikers' blue for Sixers' pink and will slot in nicely since he can bat too. Consider strongly.
Steven O'Keefe - His only problem is getting selected when Lyon is available, otherwise he'll probably play alongside Botha as I can't see them leaving some of his ability out. Botha the better option from this side.

Best XI
Michael Lumb
Nic Maddinson
Moises Henriques
Ryan Carters
Jordan Silk
Brad Haddin
Sean Abbott
Johan Botha
Steven O'Keefe
Jackson Bird
Doug Bollinger

Pushing for Selection
Ed Cowan - I think he will get games at some point, Maddinson does play middle order in Shield and Henriques is currently injured.

Not even close
Mickey Edwards - a fast bowler so I don't see a spot for him. Early on it's Bird, Bollinger and Abbott, then Hazlewood will be available at the end of the tournament. Starc might get a game on return from injury as well.

Final Word
This squad has currently got injuries and unavailablities, making selection mostly straightforward. Smith is going to be available for the opening DGW, Lyon I believe is also available. Starc, Henriques are currently injured. Jackson Bird is the bowler I like here, and Michael Lumb will be opening no matter what and will play when fit so he's my favoured batsman. They play 6 games in the first 4 rounds with no byes so I'd be looking at starting at least 2 Sixers.

PowerBug

Nige

Happy to chip in where I can. Might even do my own and compare it against yours, could be interesting and/or helpful.

PowerBug

Adelaide Strikers
Full Squad
Bats: Alex Ross, Brad Hodge, Craig Simmons (Spin), Travis Head (Spin), Kelvin Smith, Jono Dean, Mahela Jayawardene, Jake Lehmann, Alex Keath
Keep: Tim Ludeman
Pace: Michael Neser (Bat), Ben Laughlin, Gary Putland, Kane Richardson, Billy Stanlake, Hamish Kingston
Spin: Jon Holland, Adil Rashid (Bat)

Best XI
Tim Ludeman
Craig Simmons
Travis Head
Mahela Jayawardene
Brad Hodge
Alex Ross
Adil Rashid
Michael Neser
Kane Richardson
Ben Laughlin
Billy Stanlake

Pushing for selection
Jon Holland - This really is a game by game case as to whether they see two spinners a need. If so Stanlake is the unlucky one to drop out. He and Rashid both spin it the same way, meanwhile Travis Head is capable of providing some left to right spin overs.
Jono Dean - Played really well when given the chance in BBL04, they might attempt to play the extra pure bat and trust Simmons and Head to bowl 4 overs between them. This is where I think Neser's spot might be in danger.

Not even close
Alex Keath - I wouldn't be picking him to play unless they are really struggling.

Final Word
Not too many selection dramas here. Kingston I can't see breaking into the side, Putland is definitely a chance, as is Jake Lehmann. Jayawardene might not play every game so watch carefully there. Gillespie coaches Rashid at Yorkshire as well I think he will thrive in the Big Bash this season, great player. Rashid, Ludeman, Laughlin are my picks from this team.

PowerBug

Melbourne Stars
Full Squad
Bats: David Hussey, Glenn Maxwell (Spin), Kevin Pietersen, Rob Quiney, Marcus Stoinis (Pace), Luke Wright (Pace)
Keep: Peter Handscomb, Sam Harper, Tom Triffit
Pace: Scott Boland, James Faulkner (Bat), Evan Gulbis (Bat), John Hastings (Bat), Ben Hilfenhaus, Daniel Worrall
Spin: Michael Beer, Adam Zampa

Best XI
Luke Wright
Marcus Stoinis
Kevin Pietersen
Glenn Maxwell
Peter Handscomb
David Hussey
James Faulkner
John Hastings
Adam Zampa
Ben Hilfenhaus
Scott Boland

Pushing for selection
Evan Gulbis - This guy can play, I am surprised by the move to the Stars from Hobart, I don't see a guaranteed spot for him in this side.
Rob Quiney - When he played last seas he was really good. He'll come in for the back end of the tournament when the ODI players head off.

Not even close
Sam Harper - Nothing against the kid, but between Handscomb and Triffit the keeping duties will be covered. And there's no chance of breaking in as a bat only.

Final Word
Pick a Stars player at your own risk. The best options performance wise (Maxwell, Faulkner) are bound to be on international duty for the end of the tournament. I am expecting a heap of rotation, if Dave Hussey wasn't the skipper I wouldn't have him in my best XI, Kevin Pietersen WILL miss at least one game through resting. Handscomb should play over Triffit and the two quicks should keep Worrall out of the side. One of the strongest on paper but this comes with fantasy caution.

PowerBug

Quote from: Nige on December 10, 2015, 10:58:55 PM
Happy to chip in where I can. Might even do my own and compare it against yours, could be interesting and/or helpful.
Do this one, I have two reserved posts at the top I will put my predictions in one and yours in the other.

Nige

Quote from: PowerBug on December 10, 2015, 11:28:22 PM
Do this one, I have two reserved posts at the top I will put my predictions in one and yours in the other.
No worries, can do.

I wouldn't change either of your XIs so far. If this continues to be the case, rather than literally copying yours and causing repetition, I might even just assess the chances/potential of every player from every team.

In fact, I reckon that might even be a better option.

nrich102

Adelaide players will be helpful in fantasy as bench cover cause they play every round. Other than that they're not really that fancy from a fantasy perspective.

PowerBug

Quote from: Nige on December 10, 2015, 11:41:33 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on December 10, 2015, 11:28:22 PM
No worries, can do.

I wouldn't change either of your XIs so far. If this continues to be the case, rather than literally copying yours and causing repetition, I might even just assess the chances/potential of every player from every team.

In fact, I reckon that might even be a better option.
Yep whatever you feel. I think I will look at getting the other 6 done tomorrow whilst watching the test match. Get it out of the way nice and quickly so we can all focus on finalising our teams.

Nige

Quote from: nrich102 on December 10, 2015, 11:44:14 PM
Adelaide players will be helpful in fantasy as bench cover cause they play every round. Other than that they're not really that fancy from a fantasy perspective.
Currently got Head and Stanlake myself, while Ludeman was in my team but replaced by Dunk.

I'll almost certainly be bringing in Adil Rashid for Nathan Lyon, I think it's important to have at least one spinner.

Quote from: PowerBug on December 10, 2015, 11:44:45 PM
Yep whatever you feel. I think I will look at getting the other 6 done tomorrow whilst watching the test match. Get it out of the way nice and quickly so we can all focus on finalising our teams.
No worries.

I'll get on it tomorrow whilst watching the test as well, shouldn't be too difficult.

nrich102

Quote from: Nige on December 10, 2015, 11:55:03 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on December 10, 2015, 11:44:14 PM
Currently got Head and Stanlake myself, while Ludeman was in my team but replaced by Dunk.

Pretty much the same haha. Had Dunk in the whole time so far, but I'm seriously considering changing to Ludeman. The lack of DGWs just puts me off.

Adamant

Nice work PB. No arguments from me yet!

Money

I'm interested to see where Wade will bat for the renegades with Finch and Gayle

Nige

Adelaide Strikers

Bats:
Alex Ross - Best XI player as PB has pointed out, but bats too low behind some bigger names. I'd look elsewhere.
Brad Hodge - The old timer has still got it and should be best XI unless the Strikers wanna blood youth. Most likely coming at 5 behind Ludeman, Simmons, Head and Jaya though. A gamble, potential POD.
Craig Simmons (Spin) - Surprised everyone by bowling spin and actually being decent at it last BBL, will open with Ludeman and has shown he can find a boundary and score big. Consider.
Travis Head (Spin) - Captain, will play and likely bat first drop. Also bowls himself when he wants. A good pick. He's in my team.
Kelvin Smith - He's a good player, but is likely down the pecking order. Injuries, form or rotation are his only chance I reckon. Don't bother.
Jono Dean - Unlucky really. He's definitely their next best and will get games at some point. Middle order bat though. Tread with caution.
Mahela Jayawardene - The replacement international for Kieron Pollard. Doesn't have his predecessor's allround ability, but is a Lankan great that can hit it. Should play most games but might be rested given they don't have a bye. Consider.
Jake Lehmann - One of the brightest prospects in SA, has been doing well for his state. Unfortunately isn't a walk up start but might get a chance at the expense of Ross, Hodge or Jaya. Probably won't play enough to be worthwhile.
Alex Keath - This bloke is flowering terrible and useless and literally filling up a spot on the roster, he's the last guy you should pick from this squad.

Keep:
Tim Ludeman - The only man with gloves in this side, opens the batting and can find the boundary. Must consider for your starting keeper spot. Will also play every week with no bye.

Pace:
Michael Neser (Bat) - Allrounder who bowls more than he bats. Should feature as one of four pace options for the Strikers. Better options going around though fantasy wise.
Ben Laughlin - This bloke can seriously bowl and should be Richo's partner in crime all tournament. Worth picking but not for me.
Gary Putland - Been around a while and could get a run but probably the last Strikers pacer you should pick.
Kane Richardson - Hasn't got a run for SA surprisingly, but he's a Big Bash regular and will spearhead their attack. Have a good look here.
Billy Stanlake - I'm a huge fan of this bloke and reckon the Strikers have got a real winner here. Comes cheap and should be one of four pace bowlers. If he doesn't perform and step up to the occasion, he's first on the chopping block. I like him and have him.
Hamish Kingston - I like this guy and think he's actually a decent player. Could get a look in over Neser or Stanlake but I wouldn't bet on it, I think he's ahead of Putland though. Better options out there.

Spin:
Jon Holland - Botha leaving should have been good for him, but the Strikers got Rashid in as an international meaning unless they want two pure spinners, he's going to be unlucky and miss out. Simmons and Head bowling spin part time doesn't help his cause. A no from me.
Adil Rashid (Bat) - New international for the Strikers, comes in as an allrounder who is known and loved by the coach. Should play every game and will be loved by many. Definitely consider this guy.

That's my thoughts on the Strikers squad. Feel free to agree or disagree. Will field any questions as well.