Going super cheap in defence

Started by Gigantor, December 09, 2015, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: LF on December 09, 2015, 03:36:17 PM
Yeah Brown is probably pushed out of our best 22 so I wouldn't be starting him.

Quote from: fasttrack13 on December 09, 2015, 03:46:56 PM
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/west-coast/west-coast-eagles-look-to-tweak-defensive-system-after-cyril-rioli-magic-in-hawthorn-premiership-win/news-story/e7c614de0f1b016e6c665e130c4a5fa1

Words of Shannon Hurn:
Eric Mackenzie and Mitch Brown would slot easily back in to the team’s backline next year and said Jeremy McGovern could become a damaging swingman in the mould of retired premiership utility Adam Hunter.

Read that myself.

I'm fairly certain Brown is in our best 22. He can play on bigs and smalls

As soon as Glass retired, Brown was more or less guaranteed

Gigantor

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 09, 2015, 04:06:47 PM

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/west-coast/west-coast-eagles-look-to-tweak-defensive-system-after-cyril-rioli-magic-in-hawthorn-premiership-win/news-story/e7c614de0f1b016e6c665e130c4a5fa1

Words of Shannon Hurn:
Eric Mackenzie and Mitch Brown would slot easily back in to the team’s backline next year and said Jeremy McGovern could become a damaging swingman in the mould of retired premiership utility Adam Hunter.

Read that myself.

Will we play Brown and Schofield? Not sure if we need 3 talls plus Gov even if they are all capable of playing on smalls

Capper

Quote from: Gigantor on December 09, 2015, 05:09:33 PM

Words of Shannon Hurn:

Read that myself.

Will we play Brown and Schofield? Not sure if we need 3 talls plus Gov even if they are all capable of playing on smalls
Can you define super cheap? how much are you planning to spend on you backline? 2M? more/less?

LF

Quote from: Gigantor on December 09, 2015, 05:09:33 PM

Words of Shannon Hurn:

Read that myself.

Hurny is the captain of the team he can that but in the end he doesn't end up picking the team every week.
I reckon Brown is more likely to play when we need him to depending on which team we are playing.

crowls

Totally agree this is the line to be conservative on.    High scoring Def tend to get up the ground and many of these face role changes this year.    Shaw, Hodge, priced out of the market.    I see myself looking at Hibberd, KK, Yeo,  Simpson,  Maybe even Oxley then rookies.    Weitering at 220k appears to be poor value also.

No players over 500k was my mantra last year and it remains this year.   As with fwds preference to DPPs with potential mid time as first option picks.

Gigantor

Quote from: crowls on December 11, 2015, 01:37:36 AM
Totally agree this is the line to be conservative on.    High scoring Def tend to get up the ground and many of these face role changes this year.    Shaw, Hodge, priced out of the market.    I see myself looking at Hibberd, KK, Yeo,  Simpson,  Maybe even Oxley then rookies.    Weitering at 220k appears to be poor value also.

No players over 500k was my mantra last year and it remains this year.   As with fwds preference to DPPs with potential mid time as first option picks.
Even with the news today on McVeigh I still think sub 500k is a good idea. I feel McVeigh has zero upside, he will maintain his average or drop.

Currently I'm looking at:

Newnes, Bartel, B.Smith, Mackenzie, Harwood, Rookie (Rookie, Rookie)

I believe Newnes has a very strong chance of going 95+ in 2016

Grufflez

With fit backmen at WC this year how does Yeo look ? he scored poorly because he was used to clog holes most weeks, i know his large scores while playing mid were only against poorer teams but still huge upside.
Expect he will still be used as that hole filling utility but a fit WC should see more mid time would you agree?
Really interested in what keen WC supporters know/think of him for 2016, ty.

crowls

Quote from: Gigantor on December 11, 2015, 11:06:25 PM
Quote from: crowls on December 11, 2015, 01:37:36 AM

Even with the news today on McVeigh I still think sub 500k is a good idea. I feel McVeigh has zero upside, he will maintain his average or drop.

Currently I'm looking at:

Newnes, Bartel, B.Smith, Mackenzie, Harwood, Rookie (Rookie, Rookie)

I believe Newnes has a very strong chance of going 95+ in 2016
Looked at my draft team and only player over 500k is McViegh and thats because I am chasing the DPP.  Newnes at 95 is a definite chance and we would all take that right now if we could.

Goosey

I can't bring myself to go super cheap, just looking at Shaw's numbers from last year, his consistent ad reliable output is too hard to ignore, I will be doing my best to fit him in. After that I will go mid price, looking at Bartel, Hibberd, Smith then not sure after that.

LordSneeze

Quote from: Goosey on January 01, 2016, 10:10:45 PM
I can't bring myself to go super cheap, just looking at Shaw's numbers from last year, his consistent ad reliable output is too hard to ignore, I will be doing my best to fit him in. After that I will go mid price, looking at Bartel, Hibberd, Smith then not sure after that.
I somewhat disagree here. yes Shaw is consistent, but I feel he is massively overpriced. He is priced at 113 to start the year, I cannot remember any defender ever being able to backup that sort of average year on year. He should be able to average 100+, but I think that 113 might be too much of a stretch.

To me right now there is only 1 lock for me in defence. That is Simpson. In the last 10 years he has averaged 93, 89, 85, 94, 100, 94, 94, 95, 95, 92. It appears he is about 2-3 points underpriced and should be a top 10 defender at the end of the year.

Spite

Quote from: LordSneeze on January 03, 2016, 11:55:08 PM
I somewhat disagree here. yes Shaw is consistent, but I feel he is massively overpriced. He is priced at 113 to start the year, I cannot remember any defender ever being able to backup that sort of average year on year. He should be able to average 100+, but I think that 113 might be too much of a stretch.

To me right now there is only 1 lock for me in defence. That is Simpson. In the last 10 years he has averaged 93, 89, 85, 94, 100, 94, 94, 95, 95, 92. It appears he is about 2-3 points underpriced and should be a top 10 defender at the end of the year.

BJ! Had to back up a 115 and then went 130  8)

LordSneeze

Quote from: Spite on January 04, 2016, 12:06:58 AM

BJ! Had to back up a 115 and then went 130  8)

Nice, didn't know that one. I still feel he will struggle to back it up especially when you expect improvement from the rest of the GWS team aswell.

Mat0369

Yeah, I remember the BJ one because I refused to start with him at that price. I can't see Shaw replicating something like that. He is likely to go more Malcho then BJ

Goosey

I do agree that he is expensive, but I don't consider him overpriced.

Overall, he finished ranked 11th for average score and 6th for total points, that's a fair effort for a defender. I don't see his role changing so I don't see his returns changing. I think he will definitely be top a 6 defender, so I am prepared to start him rather than trying to get him in later. It just means I have to squeeze some coin out of another line!

Mat0369

Was this Shaw's first season without a major brain fart that saw him miss time? I don't back that happening again. I started with him last year based on price vs potential knowing full well he could go full tard at any moment. Priced at 600k and watching people get burnt by Malcho makes me say pass.