Main Menu

Melbourne 2016 pre-season

Started by Barra13, November 09, 2015, 12:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gigantor

Quote from: Big  Mac on March 16, 2016, 11:38:48 AM
Hogan's media interview today

"His accuracy was about 58% and mine's 69%, so I don't think I'll be going to him for advice," Jesse Hogan says about David Schwarz.

Purple 77

I just, love him, you know? Like, I love him.

TomK

Hahahah love that

Quote from: Purple 77 on March 16, 2016, 01:41:46 PM
I just, love him, you know? Like, I love him.
Kinda hard not too

Nige

Barra13

QuoteHad a look for an hour between 10:30-11:30.

No: Dawes, Mitch King,  Spencer, Viney from what I saw.

Vanders walked off just as I got there. Newton came out to do boxing with Jetta. Giving the pads a serious work out.

Rehab: Kent doing sprints. Salem on light duties. Weideman as well. Matt Jones and Garland on light duties.

Almost everyone else was doing everything including Dunn, Lumumba and Brayshaw.

Clarry came off after one drill and had a tight right hip. Physios got in to him pretty strongly. Then he did some boxing. Hopefully just some tightness that is all fine and a week off will have him feeling better before round 1.

Usual drills all about quick ball movement. McCartney barking out orders when mids were going 5 v 3 from a stoppage and kicking to a 4 v 2 forward line. Dunn and Hunt managed to intercept a few and Macca was cracking that the forwards would trip over their pulled down pants. The attacking players then started to work it out. A definite focus on the player forward of the stoppage to run forward  away from the stoppage as soon as the ball is won and then make his defender choose whether to run with him or attack the ball carrier. Similarly the focus for the outnumbered defenders was to go hard at the ball carrier to force a mistake.

Hogan, Dunn, Frost, Gawn and Pedersen all did contested marking practice.

Harmes, JKH, Garlett and Max King all were practising snapping goals.

Hogan had plenty of shots at goal during various drills. Throws in one or two shuffle steps but otherwise very fluent run up and kicking wasn't an issue.

QuoteKent was on a deload day
Dawes was there early, moving freely,
Spencer and Viney only absentees   
Garland had a bad corkie   
Jetta had a knee on knee knock in the game  light day   
Oliver deload day 
Wagner slight knee strain
VDB rehabbing     
Matt Jones concussion so light run 
Newton joins main group on Friday   
Brayshaw will definitely play at Casey 
Trengove won't   
no idea about the Trac told me Rd 10  (smartarse)   
Salem deload       
mood very upbeat

JBs-Hawks

Did Weidamen play at all over the pre season?

Barra13

Purple 77

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on March 16, 2016, 03:53:10 PM
Did Weidamen play at all over the pre season?

In the recent VFL practice match, he only got about 3ish disposals... largely thanks to Casey getting smashed and only kicking about 3-4 goals.

Holz

Think Omac is chance of getting games played 2 NABs not sure how he went.

will be interesting to see what another year in the gym will do to him.

Big Mac

Quote from: Holz on March 16, 2016, 04:54:41 PM

Is still a fair way off it imo

Defensive work isn't too bad (apart from occasional lapses), but he often looks unsure when he has the ball and can turn it over or put a teammate under pressure unnecessarily. Maybe it is more AFL experience that will help him with this but imo he will play the first half of the season in the VFL

Purple 77

Quote from: Big  Mac on March 16, 2016, 05:15:16 PM
Quote from: Holz on March 16, 2016, 04:54:41 PM

Is still a fair way off it imo

Defensive work isn't too bad (apart from occasional lapses), but he often looks unsure when he has the ball and can turn it over or put a teammate under pressure unnecessarily. Maybe it is more AFL experience that will help him with this but imo he will play the first half of the season in the VFL

Yeah, I think experience is all that is left... and a couple more kilos. I expect him to play at least a handful of AFL games this year though, but as Mac says, probably later in the year.

Barra13

QuoteSwung past at about 10:30 for an hour.

The Casey group were just milling around having a bit of a laugh whilst the rest trained. Looks like they had done some light stuff and a few of them did goal kicking before heading off. Someone else will know more I'm sure. Dunn, Brayshaw, Weideman etc. Not sure if I saw Lumumba.

Dawes was doing running with Crossy and other support staff. Sprints and jogs.

Ben Newton was wearing the training jumper not singlet which usually means participation at some stage with the main group. Can't recall see Spencer, ANB or Trenners.

Anyway, the main group were broken up in to smaller groups including Macca taking Salem, Wagner, Tyson, Matt Jones and Oliver for a kicking drill. Forwards practising some goal kicking. Other mids working on ground balls and so on. All pretty standard stuff.

Of note to me was towards the end of the session Goodwin assembled 18 players to form a team and run through some game scenarios to make sure they had positioning and game plan set up.

That team was

Forwards: Hogan, Frost, Watts, Kent, Garlett, Ben Kennedy

Mids: Gawn Tyson Viney Jones, Wings; Matt Jones, Bugg

Backs: Garland, T Mc, Wagner, Jetta, Salem, Vince

By this stage of course the Casey guys had left and Pedersen had left as well. Harmes and Grimes grabbed green bibs to be token defenders. Vanders, Oliver, Petracca and a couple of others watched from the sidelines. Might only be of interest to me and/or a coincidence but Matt Jones and Bugg were both playing as inverted wingers.

They did a few around the ground stoppages and then set up a 3 points up with 30 seconds scenario. Hogan went as the 7th defender to CHB. Watts came up as an extra midfielder covering the far side of the ground. Gawn was very defensive with his taps. The kicks all stayed boundary side and after Frost marked in a pocket then centred the ball Gawn was vocally saying "should just take the shot Frosty".

Vanders did some contested marking with Rawlings and handballing after the training finished. He appeared good to go. Jones did fast hands work with Macca. Ben Kennedy did extra ground balls. Salem and Viney had shots for goal. And Hogan and Kent took turns kicking to each other on the lead. Jesse still dropped one or two and wasn't happy but otherwise most stuck. Kent's kicking was mostly great but he just slices them every now and then. Just has to keep being balanced over the ball. Hogan kicking to a lead is a thing of beauty.