Main Menu

2016 Best 22

Started by Kellogscrunchynut, October 25, 2015, 03:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toga

Broad sounds like he's impressing big time. Looking forwards to seeing what he can bring to the table.

GoLions

Quote from: Nige on February 17, 2016, 05:53:01 PM
I still really want Castagna to be elevated and given a shot.
Same, for obvious reasons

quinny88

I've heard a bit about Chaplin training with the forwards so Astbury can fit in down back. Anyone confirm this?

Nige

Quote from: quinny88 on February 17, 2016, 09:46:55 PM
I've heard a bit about Chaplin training with the forwards so Astbury can fit in down back. Anyone confirm this?
Interesting. Haven't really heard much myself, though I haven't really looked into it or been paying too much attention really. Astbury and Chappy can play similar roles down back but I can't help but feel throwing Chappy forward could be the Steve Morris experiment all over again.  :-X Unless he goals and celebrates like he did v Port, then I'm all for it.  ;D

Nige

So I thought I'd take the NAB 3 squad and make our 'best 22' from it.

Obviously a few mainstays aren't playing as you'll see, but I think it also helps gauge who is in the frame for selection and battling for the last few, debatable spots because for the most part, it's a fairly full strength team that we've picked.

1. Nick Vlastuin, 2. Dylan Grimes, 3. Brett Deledio, 4. Dustin Martin, 5. Brandon Ellis, 6. Shaun Grigg, 7. Ben Lennon, 8. Jack Riewoldt, 9. Trent Cotchin, 10. Shane Edwards, 12. David Astbury, 14. Bachar Houli, 15. Andrew Moore, 16. Shaun Hampson, 17. Daniel Rioli, 18. Alex Rance, 21. Jacob Townsend, 23. Kane Lambert, 24. Ben Griffiths, 29. Ty Vickery, 30. Reece Conca, 33. Kamdyn McIntosh, 35. Nathan Broad, 37. Connor Menadue, 41. Mabior Chol, 44. Adam Marcon, 46. Jason Castagna

Notable absentees: Anthony Miles, Ivan Maric, Taylor Hunt, Troy Chaplin

B: Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, David Astbury
HB: Bachar Houli, Nick Vlastuin, Nathan Broad
C: Brandon Ellis, Trent Cotchin, Connor Menadue
HF: Dustin Martin, Tyrone Vickery, Brett Deledio
F: Ben Lennon, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards
Foll: Shaun Hampson, Jacob Townsend, Kane Lambert
IC: Reece Conca, Kamdyn McIntosh, Shaun Grigg, Ben Griffiths

E: Andrew Moore, Daniel Rioli, Mabior Chol, Adam Marcon, Jason Castagna.

So I opted for experience mainly, but also picked some of newer/younger guys. Miles, Maric and Chaplin come in, along with an omitted notable absentee in Batchelor. Hunt isn't best 22 anymore. Yarran is also one to keep in mind. That means there are five players to be 'replaced'.

Astbury -> Batchelor
Broad -> Yarran
Hampson -> Maric

That leaves Chaplin and Miles. Both will be best 22, no doubt about it. Miles plays in the middle, but I think Townsend will remain in the side, he's been impressive and done enough. It looks like we're gonna try the three talls - Griff, Ty and Jack which makes the decision harder. I think Menadue has been superb and might get a run. Needs to add to his frame, but everything else he has to offer earns him a spot on the wing/interchange. Also should be noted Chaplin's been used as a forward so far in 2016 and I think that will continue to be the case.

So really, the Miles -> Townsend and Menadue -> Chaplin with the team being shuffled around a bit as a result, but I think the pressure is gonna be on guys like Griffiths, Conca, McIntosh and Lambert to keep their spots.

Feel free to tear that apart, but I guess it's just worth thinking about and watching NAB 3 to see whether it supports or trashes what I've suggested.

quinny88

Can't argue with anything there Nige. Big game for some players tonight To put their hand up. Talk of Yarran being a shock inclusion for the round 1 side as well which will make things interesting

Money Shot

What are your boys thoughts on Menadue and Broad? Most of the FF community are all over them but I'm not sold on their job security.

Nige

Lock Menadue in I reckon. It sounds like Grigg and Conca are going to miss a couple of matches and so Menadue will get a chance I'm pretty sure. Good performances will keep others out. He has also has insane speed and a nice kick which should help his chances as well, we lack both at times. Broad's less likely. Needs to break into the back six which is pretty settled. Consistently good VFL chances or an injury and he'll come straight in I believe.

quinny88

Broad may have had a better chance if Yaz was gonna miss the first 6 weeks but now he looks like playing round 1

Nige

AFL site had this:

B: Nick Vlastuin, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes
HB: Reece Conca, Alex Rance, Bachar Houli
C: Brandon Ellis, Jacob Townsend, Dustin Martin
HF: Brett Deledio, Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards
F: Ben Griffiths, Ty Vickery, Ben Lennon
FOLL: Ivan Maric, Trent Cotchin, Anthony Miles
INT: Chris Yarran, Kane Lambert, Shaun Grigg, Connor Menadue

There are a dozen locks for the Tigers' best team this season, but it gets tricky thereafter with a lot of competition down to their 30th player. David Astbury has won the battle with Troy Chaplin for a key defensive post and it appears unlikely at this stage Chaplin can fit into an already tall forward line. Ben Lennon gets first crack as a small/medium forward ahead of Sam Lloyd and draftee Daniel Rioli, while Kamdyn McIntosh is squeezed out for impressive youngster Connor Menadue. Jacob Townsend was recruited for a reason and has shown his hardness will be an asset to the midfield. The Tigers will hope Corey Ellis is in their best team by the end of the year. â€" Nathan Schmook

quinny88

Chaplin not in the 22 is interesting. Think the coaches value him much higher than outsiders do