Main Menu

Goodes announces retirement

Started by Mat0369, September 19, 2015, 11:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Adam Goodes has announced his retirement in the rooms. Micky O and his brother Brett are in the rooms. Interestingly he didn't get chaired off the ground with the guard of honour but Spud Shaw was.

Rusty00

Don't reckon Goodes would have wanted the fanfare given the year he has had.

Not really sure that Spud Shaw deserved a guard of honour but it seems to be the norm these days.

Nige

• Dual Brownlow Medallist
  • 3 Bob Skilton Medals
  • 4 All-Australians
  • AFL Rising Star
  • Indigenous Team of the Century
  • 2 Premierships
  • Premiership Captain
  • Sydney Swans Games Record Holder (350 games)

No doubting he was one of the best.

Jay

Grazz

jvalles69

He went out well as prob Sydneys best against North.

Capper

Will be missed having been at the Swans for the past since the 1997 National Draft where he was taken @ pick 43.

A true champion and will be an inductee in to the hall of fame

Sad to see that he declined the lap of honour on GF day
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adam-goodes-declines-grand-final-lap-of-honour-for-fear-of-being-booed/story-fni5fan7-1227535950399

GCSkiwi

Quote from: Capper on September 21, 2015, 12:22:23 PM

Yeah that sucks. Obviously it's his decision but I feel like it's a no-lose situation for him really, other than potentially having to endure the taunting (hear me out on this).

If people boo him during his lap of honor, then no one can possibly stand behind the defence of "I'm just booing him because he's a flog" etc. He's not out there playing, you're not trying to put him off his game. You are undoubtedly playing the man and not the ball. And if he can go out there regardless then I think he'd be firmly giving those people the middle finger and saying "I earned this", because he absolutely has. He deserves a lap of honour as much as anyone retiring this year. But ideally, if all is well in the world, then people wont boo him, they'll clap and cheer someone who is/was a truly great player of the game, no matter what team you support.

Capper

Quote from: GCSkiwi on September 21, 2015, 01:24:36 PM
Quote from: Capper on September 21, 2015, 12:22:23 PM

Yeah that sucks. Obviously it's his decision but I feel like it's a no-lose situation for him really, other than potentially having to endure the taunting (hear me out on this).

If people boo him during his lap of honor, then no one can possibly stand behind the defence of "I'm just booing him because he's a flog" etc. He's not out there playing, you're not trying to put him off his game. You are undoubtedly playing the man and not the ball. And if he can go out there regardless then I think he'd be firmly giving those people the middle finger and saying "I earned this", because he absolutely has. He deserves a lap of honour as much as anyone retiring this year. But ideally, if all is well in the world, then people wont boo him, they'll clap and cheer someone who is/was a truly great player of the game, no matter what team you support.
Goodes is taking 2 months holiday so he on't be around for the GF. He will get his lap of honour during the Swans first home game of 2016. Im already there