Champions League Final - The Best is Crowned

Started by Levi434, August 25, 2015, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levi434

Matchday 7 Champions League Final, AFL Round 22

Team ATeam B
Dublin Destroyers     VS    Christchurch Saints

Only 2 teams remianing! After this week we will finally know who is the best!!

Dublin's Formline: 1833, 1677, 1627, 1594, 1670, 1611.
Christchurch's Formline: 1286, 1395, 1244, 1559, 1582, 1512.

Dublin VS Christchurch. Holz VS meow meow. WXV VS WXV. What a story! You may not know this but Holz and meow are NOT the best of friends. In fact they haven't liked each other ever since meow made the contreversial call to trade Tom Rockliff. Holz has let meow know about this at every opportunity and will probably never stop. This will be especially epic if next week we get a replay in the World's GF.

Dublin have been fantastic all tournament. They have really only been challenged once and that was last week. As you can see by their formline, they have only gone below 1600 once this tournament. In fact they've been top scoring team 5 out of the 6 weeks so far!

If there is ever a team that could beat Dublin, it'd be the Saints. Look at how the strolled through the group stages before turning it right up in the knockout rounds. They scored 1512 last week with half their best team out! Who will meow name this week to make you raise an eyebrow? I've said it before and I'll say it agian, meow is quite possibly the best coach in the game. However Holz is probably 2nd and will desperately want to move up to 1st on that list with a win this week. Call Christchurch whatever; lucky, fortunate, a fluke, but they are legit. However I don't think they are good enough to beat Dublin. I'll tip The Destroyers 1605-1578.

I'd like to hear your predictions below. Also get behind the team you want to win.

Since this is the last week  :( I'd like to get everyone's opinions on how the overall Champs League experience has been this year. Also any suggestions as to how it can be improved or made better for next year.

A few talking points: 
- Was the modifier the right way to do the scoring?
- Should there be a group stage?
- Is it too long?
- How many teams from each league should get in?
- Was Josh Glenn really deserving to be on the poster?
- Which was the best poster?

I personally would love to make the Champs League more interesting and unique. Next year I'd like to give a chance to the XV Admin's to perhaps trial new/proposed rule changes they may be looking to introduce in their respective leagues. I enjoy the group stage as it gives everyone a chance to have a few cracks at it, however the comp may be a bit more interesting and exciting if it was lose and your out.

Again any suggestions and predictions below.

Memphistopheles

The Saints highest score in this tournament wouldn't have beaten Dublin's lowest...

Barring a Sandilands miracle this is going to be a very one-sided affair.

Re: the talking points

Yes the modifier was the right way to do it but, I think it needs tweaking. It seemed a bit biased towards Worlds teams. Also I think the modifier should just go off raw scores and there should be the same captain/vice captain rules for each team in the CL (so people will need to post their team here and pick a C/VC potentially different to their XV Comp).

I think including the Top 8 from each XV league is too many. Make it the Top 4 (from this season' send of year results not next year at the time the CL starts and have 16 teams. Split in to 4 groups of 4 then play a home and away game against each team in that group.

Top 2 from each group make the finals which are knockout. Bottom two from each group eliminated.

Actually thinking about it if you did want to include the Top 8 teams why not have two competitions and run them simultaneous. One for the Top 4 for the Champions League and one for 5th-8th for another trophy not quite so prestigious.

I don't think there needs to be a length on it - can be as long as needed. I like it finishing in Rd 22 though because Rd 23 is rest central for AFL sides.

Hellopplz

Hard to go past Dublin, for for my sake in Worlds, I hope they have a stinker, which would open the door for Christchurch. Lets see if McKernan can back up last round's performance haha.

Love the little slide show up top of the posters Levi! Great work running it this season and willing to improve it next season, I'm sure it can only get bigger and better from here.

Purple 77

That gif is amazing Levi! The effort has been amazing all tournament long.

I was thinking, when determining any modifier, just include the scores from the teams participating? This year we took all the scores from ALL teams from every comp. Why not just use the top 8 teams instead?

That, or the SC+DT+SB/3 method. But that also has disadvantages too.

Dublin SHOULD win it, but Christchuch just keep finding a way. Sandilands to smash Rockliff, but Destroyers to smash Saints... unfortunately.

I like the group stages. Nah it wasn't too long! Could do it season long and I'd still love it! Josh Glenn was undeserving, when you consider Zac Dawson got snubbed. Luke Hodge and Dustin Martin were the best posters IMO.

Could even make your own comp of 18, with the top 4 of each comp getting in, and the next two best teams grabbing 17th & 18th?

Nige

Anyone siding with Dublin is confirmed to be an alt account of Holz.  :P

I think m0nty will have to close FanFooty forever if Holz wins, the forum won't be able to handle his ego running amok.  :o

meow meow

Quote from: Levi434 on August 25, 2015, 08:54:53 PM
You may not know this but Holz and meow are NOT the best of friends. In fact they haven't liked each other ever since meow made the contreversial call to trade Tom Rockliff. Holz has let meow know about this at every opportunity and will probably never stop.

Haha what's this? I enjoy Holz's contribution to the competition, a little (lot, probably too much) of robust discussion is what this is all about. Especially when I turn out to be right about Rocky not being able to come anywhere close to being able to keep up his average after Holz has had a fit about it.

Picken and Boyd are already confirmed ins. Roberton and Dempster not on their injury list either so they should also return. Wilbur is the big one though. Even if he doesn't get a gig for Christchurch he'll still play his role and limit Goldy. If Todd is up against Campbell this one is already over.

Holz

Quote from: meow meow on August 26, 2015, 12:44:57 PM
Quote from: Levi434 on August 25, 2015, 08:54:53 PM
You may not know this but Holz and meow are NOT the best of friends. In fact they haven't liked each other ever since meow made the contreversial call to trade Tom Rockliff. Holz has let meow know about this at every opportunity and will probably never stop.

Haha what's this? I enjoy Holz's contribution to the competition, a little (lot, probably too much) of robust discussion is what this is all about. Especially when I turn out to be right about Rocky not being able to come anywhere close to being able to keep up his average after Holz has had a fit about it.

Picken and Boyd are already confirmed ins. Roberton and Dempster not on their injury list either so they should also return. Wilbur is the big one though. Even if he doesn't get a gig for Christchurch he'll still play his role and limit Goldy. If Todd is up against Campbell this one is already over.

Got to agree with Meow here we are highly highly competitive and it was long before the Rocky Trade :P

I have alot of respect for Meow, probably the best drafter in XV i have ever seen. I think im the best trader in XV (Nige mentioned the ego). Meows probalem has always been he is bias and it reflects in his trades.

I like Meow but this matchup is setting me up for failure. I dont care about losing to anyone (even Berlin) I just can't lose to Meow.

Its basically Trade Champ v Draft Champ. see which method is superior.

Meow is right if Wilbur doesnt play Goldy will go beserk as my captain and its over.

PS: Rocky knocked up a lazy 130 in his last month.

Holz

Quote from: Nige on August 26, 2015, 11:31:11 AM
Anyone siding with Dublin is confirmed to be an alt account of Holz.  :P

I think m0nty will have to close FanFooty forever if Holz wins, the forum won't be able to handle his ego running amok.  :o

greatest XV team does have a nice ring to it.

Toga

Fantastic work Lev, you've made a great competition this year! I personally would be all for a group stage, only adds to the fun - and I don't think many people would say that the comp goes for too long!

I like having 8 teams, or otherwise the suggestion that we have the top 4 from each competition and potentially another competition for the second-tier teams just to keep interest high.

Josh Glenn definitely deserved to be on the poster! What a gun!

Purple 77

Nick Kyrgios told me Kokkinakis banged a woman in Holz's life, and that meow told him to do it...

Holz

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 26, 2015, 03:51:06 PM
Nick Kyrgios told me Kokkinakis banged a woman in Holz's life, and that meow told him to do it...

dont trust krygios word at all.

wouldnt be suprised to see Meow walking around arden street with a crowbar taking out Goldy though

meow meow

I'm all for banter but that's a bit much Purps. I'm offended disgusted to be mentioned in the same sentence as Nick Kyrgios.

Ziplock

Quote from: Memphistopheles on August 25, 2015, 10:47:49 PM
The Saints highest score in this tournament wouldn't have beaten Dublin's lowest...

Barring a Sandilands miracle this is going to be a very one-sided affair.

Re: the talking points

Yes the modifier was the right way to do it but, I think it needs tweaking. It seemed a bit biased towards Worlds teams. Also I think the modifier should just go off raw scores and there should be the same captain/vice captain rules for each team in the CL (so people will need to post their team here and pick a C/VC potentially different to their XV Comp).

I think including the Top 8 from each XV league is too many. Make it the Top 4 (from this season' send of year results not next year at the time the CL starts and have 16 teams. Split in to 4 groups of 4 then play a home and away game against each team in that group.

Top 2 from each group make the finals which are knockout. Bottom two from each group eliminated.

Actually thinking about it if you did want to include the Top 8 teams why not have two competitions and run them simultaneous. One for the Top 4 for the Champions League and one for 5th-8th for another trophy not quite so prestigious.

I don't think there needs to be a length on it - can be as long as needed. I like it finishing in Rd 22 though because Rd 23 is rest central for AFL sides.

I think the thing that needs tweaking in the modifier is that the scaling of scores should only take account the teams participating in the champions league. It doesn't really make sense imo to include scores from the lowest ranked team in worlds in their modifier, and I think that the unevenness of a couple of the comps really helped them out in that regard.

'Also I think the modifier should just go off raw scores and there should be the same captain/vice captain rules for each team in the CL (so people will need to post their team here and pick a C/VC potentially different to their XV Comp).' I actually don't think this is a good idea. For instance, some comps (not that I'm in any of them that have it) have a VC bonus... people who want competitive teams in those comps are going to be more likely to push another top tier midfielder into their side, which drives up the trading price of A grade players, they structure their teams around their specific rules and I think those rules should stay in place. Overall, it'd average out fine.

Holz

Quote from: Ziplock on August 26, 2015, 10:00:10 PM
I think the thing that needs tweaking in the modifier is that the scaling of scores should only take account the teams participating in the champions league. It doesn't really make sense imo to include scores from the lowest ranked team in worlds in their modifier, and I think that the unevenness of a couple of the comps really helped them out in that regard.

agreed, the weaker teams in the worlds really helped to pull down the average. Where as we dont really have this in the euro, being a more even comp. Would let us Euro teams compete more.

Holz

The 2015 Champions League Champions

Grant Birchall, Alex Rance, Tom Mcdonald, Robert Murphy
Joel Selwood, Rory Sloane (VC), Travis Boak, David Mundy
Todd Goldstein (C)
Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead, Jack Gunston, Dustin Martin
Nick Dal Santo, Scott Thompson

Michael Walters, Lachlan Hansen, Nathan Van Berlo