SHun Supercoach 'ultimate' guide discussion.

Started by Patrician, March 22, 2010, 04:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrician

It's Christmas, it's Christmas, gee thanks guys for this lovely gift!!

Patrician unwraps the box

oh great...a pair of undies. Oh well, thanks anyway  :-[

--------------------------------
Ok, so you get my drift, today's Hun guide to the pre-season wasn't the tell all that the raw statistics will be (which come out Monday). But it was worth reading and made me part with $1.80. A fact for which my wife will never forgive me. (quote - "We're Age readers, you traitor!")

Anyway, here's my analysis and what I found interesting. Hope you enjoy, it's a bit of tome.

1. The Damn straight you better be in the top five!

Good to see O'Keefe, Dal Santo, Judd, Riewoldt, Mitchell, Selwood, Swan, Sandilands, Watson, Chapman, Enright, Gibbs popping up in the top five. And you'd want to, given how much you're paying for them.

O'Keefe ($576,300) had a shocker vs St Kilda, but in the next two games did enough to push his average to 109.0. Mitchell ($576,300) got to 110.8 and that's from four games so he's definitely hitting his stride. Corey Enright ($519,100 - 109.3 - 3 games) and Watson ($541,000 - 110.3 - 3 games) also worth a mention.

Although, there's a question over Swan ($654,400 - 105.3 - 3 games) as he's got stiff competition in the midfield by O'bree ($444,000 - 116.5 - 2 games) and Ball. He's performing, but is he worth the price?

Anyway, none of the 600k+ players topped their teams. Are they holding themselves back or being trumped by the new generation?

2. The Good lord! err...oh yeah, it's Sunday...good Gosh!

Brent Stanton ($507,500) - Average of 158.8 from two games. Geebus. Selwood ($588,900) has 129.5 from two games. Luke Ball is cheaper ($457,100) with 120.3 from 3 games so you've got more of a certainty with his average.

Interesting to note that the big averages appear to be coming from the NAB Challenge games. Does this indicate a laxness during the games, allowing for big scores? More experimentation? Maybe.

Also, the two final teams in the Cup, St Kilda and the Doggies, have pretty low highest averages - St Kilda: Gram ($419,600) with 98.0 and Doggies: if you ignore Barry ($366,000 and 108.0) the next is Griffen ($470,800 and 94.0). Tougher opponents? Or sharing it around?

Also keep in mind that (apparently) the pre-season games are worth less points in total, about 85% or so.  So those high scores will be higher come regular season.

3. The Bingle factor - where the bloody hell are you? Your ring cost a fortune!

Ok. Where's Junior? (This could be the title a kids book - like Where's Wally  ;D).

Seriously, Ablett isn't in the Cat's top 5. When you consider that Chapman ($609,900) has played two games for 105, its not as though they're resting all their aging players.

Also missing is the most expensive defender in the game Goddard ($613,600). His first two games were sub 80, but he then pulled a 99 in the NAB Grand Final. I'm not as worried about him as Jnr.

Finally, Monty's favored Dean Cox ($590,00) hasn't surfaced. The Hun has "Questions need to be answered before you lock Cox in for round 1." While Westcoast were adamant injury wasn't the reason for promoting Will Sullivan from the rookie list you have to wonder what’s up.   

3. The WtF?

Lance Franklin ($466,700). He made it to the top five list for Hawthorn, but his average was 75 from 4 games. And that’s after getting 155 vs Richmond in round 1. So, working backwards, that means an average of 48.3 for his other three games. Anyone else worried?

Next is Adam Cooney ($484,100). Despite the Hun's tick of approval, he's not in the top 5 and averaged 70.7 for the NAB Cup. And he has a whole heap of other Doggie midfielders who are on the rise to compete with. May be a player that hits top gear come the regular season (and the Hun does mention he averaged 100 for the second half of 2009) but I'm not convinced enough to take the chance, despite him being a very effective player.

and...looking at WtF from the other perspective, lets take Shane Tuck ($522,500) topping the tigers at an even average of 100.0. Only from two games mind you. Deledio ($549,300) is better at 99.7 from 3 games but still, was a surprise.

4. The Rookie Surprise!

Probably not a surprise to most Fantasy coaches though. The talked about Rookies are all there. Martin ($169,200) is only a touch behind Deledio on 94.7 from 3 games and Barlow ($111,400) has 89.3 from 4 games. Rockliff ($109,200) is going well with 97 from 3 games, although my worry is what happens to that average once Fevola puts down his mobile and Brown steps up.

Bastinac ($94,200) is a fair bit down on 76.3 from 3 games, but as the saying goes "I wouldn't kick them out of bed." Still pretty good. Connors ($177,900) has 78 from 3 games and Banner ($100,200) has 80 from 3. Maquire ($114,000) averaged 70 from two games. The Hun doesn't give an average for Shuey ($100,200) but he did get a tick. Big woops.

5. The Sir, we have a breakout in progress

Who knows if this is the case really, but the players in the $300-$400k mark to notice are Betts (110.3 - 3 games), Naitanui (nuff nuff! errr...100.8 from 4 games) Wells (97 - 2 games), Ballantyne (96.5 - 2 games), Hooker (106 - 3 games), O'Brien (100.7 - 3 games), Robinson (100 - 3 games), Jones (103 - 4 games)....to name a fair few.

Hard to say if these are going to keep performing. Just for interest really  ;D

Anyway, there's my take on it. Save yourself $1.80 and wait till tomorrow.

Justin Bieber

Love the work Patrician. Nice insight and summary. saved me buying the heraldsun later :D

alot of teams do relax in nab challenge games. stanton didn't get the tag in that game = let loose = 196 points.

didn't expect alot from buddy. will be inconsistent and 1 score can do him alot fantasy wise.

korza

vc_bombers

There's an excel file you can download off the superfooty website. Gives the scores of every player for every match, but doesn't breakdown raw stats.

Link: http://resources.news.com.au/files/2010/03/17/1225841/811089-hs-file-supercoach-preseason.xls

Patrician

Mangasm!

Why hasn't this come up before?  ;D

Makes things very interesting. For instance, when Ball and Swan played together, Ball came out on top by a good 27 points.

Prospector_1

Quote from: Patrician on March 22, 2010, 04:05:28 AM
It's Christmas, it's Christmas, gee thanks guys for this lovely gift!!

Patrician unwraps the box

oh great...a pair of undies. Oh well, thanks anyway  :-[

-----

Anyway, there's my take on it. Save yourself $1.80 and wait till tomorrow.

Brilliant post Patrician, thanks for sharing your take on it!

Master Q

sid3bysid3

monty should put you on the payroll, that article and review was the best fantasy review yet. awesome work!!!

Arky

Great work Patrician.

One note on Rockliff- it's the return of Black and Power that threaten his scores, not Fev.  He's been playing midfield this preseason.

Patrician

Yeah, see this is where I get confused with Supercoach putting players into positions and the actual coaches not respecting this.  ::)

Prospector_1

Quote from: Patrician on March 22, 2010, 05:35:24 AM
Yeah, see this is where I get confused with Supercoach putting players into positions and the actual coaches not respecting this.  ::)

Yeah, the Coaches should show more respect for SC and it's quarter of a million fans.

nas

Well done & as we don't get The HeraldSun here it provide a great insight.
Thanks Patrician.

MissPies

Errr this was pretty much word for word from..I won't say where..anyway nice post on a revamp :)

Patrician

Say what? :) Who did I copy?

Pretty much all the info below was in the Hun, its just my thoughts and discussions.

toodledock

did you know your left ball hangs lower than the right? Or was it the other way around?