2015 RULE DISCUSSION THREAD

Started by BB67th, August 12, 2015, 08:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB67th

Feel free to voice any potential rule changes you would like to have considered at the end of this season to be implemented for the 2016 season.

Please note that voting on any rule changes will occur before the trade period opens in the off-season, so if you have a suggestion or change you would like to see in the competition, make sure you get in with it soon.

Rules to Vote on

Note: If there are any additional rules you would like to see changed, or any extra options for what a rule could be changed to, post in this thread or send me a pm before the end of this week. This thread will be locked and votes go out for rule changes on Sunday  (13th September) morning.

Also note that there will be a forced change this season in relation to trades in the second trade window (following drafting). All trades in the second trade period will need to be like for like in terms of which list players are on. So a rookie can only be traded for a rookie and a senior for a senior.

- Sub Rule
- Change to AXV Rookie List (possibly abolished or senior list changed to allow rookies to be upgraded mid-season)
- Changes to priority picks system
- Introduction of a point cap
- AXV Grand Final held in round 22 of AFL Season to prevent being hurt by resting
- Free Agency system (Similar to what PB Suggested - see http://forum.fanfooty.com.au/index.php/topic,104554.msg1670482.html#msg1670482
- Trade Approvals Process
- Penalties for not naming a team (Possibly not being able to win a match)

Memphistopheles

I'd like to see a rule where if a player can't take any further part in the game before halftime then the emergency comes on to cover them.

Because, with only 15 scoring players on each team if one goes down early and scores say 0 it then becomes very difficult for a team to compete in the match.

Whereas in the AFL if a player goes down early with injury it might hurt them a bit late on but, it generally doesn't decide the outcome of a match.

Which is why I think having some rule for injured players would be good, to better reflect real life.

The rule proposal Ringo came up with in British which I think could work for us as well was this:

If a player is replaced before half time or if he spends less than 40% time on ground then substitution from emergency players is allowed at either full points if emergency is from same line  or half points if OOP emergency is used. Administrator to decide if TOG is injury related or not to remove cases where player is sparingly used.

Ricochet

Isn't the afl looking to get rid of subs?  not sure if i like that one sorry Memph. I'd always back this comp to be more like real life. So if a player is injured and can't take any further part in the game then it should be the same here... if the sub is kicked next year. If it stays then i like it

nrich102

Why are people so against trading future picks? I like the idea cause it means I can try and get lots of first round picks in this years trading window  :P

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Ricochet on August 13, 2015, 08:31:38 AM
Isn't the afl looking to get rid of subs?  not sure if i like that one sorry Memph. I'd always back this comp to be more like real life. So if a player is injured and can't take any further part in the game then it should be the same here... if the sub is kicked next year. If it stays then i like it

It's not so much a sub rule Ricochet as a rule to help teams with an early injury. Did you read this bit?

With only 15 scoring players if one goes down early and gets 0 it then becomes very difficult for a team to compete in the match. Whereas in the AFL if a player goes down early with injury it might hurt them a bit late on but, it generally doesn't decide the outcome of a match.

Ricochet

Quote from: Memphistopheles on August 13, 2015, 10:15:16 AM

It's not so much a sub rule Ricochet as a rule to help teams with an early injury. Did you read this bit?

With only 15 scoring players if one goes down early and gets 0 it then becomes very difficult for a team to compete in the match. Whereas in the AFL if a player goes down early with injury it might hurt them a bit late on but, it generally doesn't decide the outcome of a match.
I did read it mate, just don't agree

Luck will always be apart of this game. Good or bad

Rids

I would like to see the rookie list disappear and for teams to have one list. Reason being, the rookie list has almost disappeared from AFL. Teams are now leaving one or 2 players short on the senior list so they can upgrade a rookie or 2 after seeing them play the preseason.

Another reason is that teams are now delisting a player and then committing to them to be picked up as a rookie. The way the system currently works here is that a team will require to delist a delisted player. Even if they have been guaranteed a spot on the rookie list eg Broughton, Schneider.

Toga

Not sure if we do it for admin reasons (to make it easier for you guys at the end of a round) but I really dislike the team submission sheets at the moment and would much rather just name the 15 like the other comps do it.

i.e.
D: X, X, X, X
M X, X, X, X
R: X
F: X, X, X, X
U: X, X

Adamant

Quote from: Ricochet on August 13, 2015, 10:28:49 AM
Quote from: Memphistopheles on August 13, 2015, 10:15:16 AM

I did read it mate, just don't agree

Luck will always be apart of this game. Good or bad

Yep definitely agree with Rico here. I also like the fact that it gives weaker teams a chance to pull off an upset if their opposition cops an early injury, which is good for the comp.

Quote from: Toga on August 13, 2015, 10:49:13 AM
Not sure if we do it for admin reasons (to make it easier for you guys at the end of a round) but I really dislike the team submission sheets at the moment and would much rather just name the 15 like the other comps do it.

i.e.
M X, X, X, X

Also agree with this.

Nige

Quote from: Adamant on August 13, 2015, 11:05:01 AM
Quote from: Toga on August 13, 2015, 10:49:13 AM

i.e.
M X, X, X, X

Also agree with this.

Jroo

Think we need to do something about the unevenness of the comp.

I know this probably won't be popular but what about some kind of point cap?

That would probably have to lead to unlimited list movements, which I'm sure will be more popular  :P

tbagrocks

I don't think a point system is a bad idea but I wouldn't like to see anything else happen :)

Memphistopheles

Quote from: JROO8 on August 13, 2015, 01:18:21 PM

That would probably have to lead to unlimited list movements, which I'm sure will be more popular  :P

I don't think we need to do anything about the unevenness of the competition. If anything this season has been more even. There is a wide gulf between the top and the bottom teams in the competition (probably Top 4 and bottom 4) but, that's because we have a few teams in rebuilding mode.

We started on our rebuild just two seasons ago and are already starting to show signs that we will be able to turn things around with a strong back end of this season.

The Llamas who lost most games two seasons ago are starting to rise up the ladder now and I'm sure the other rebuilding sides will do in the future.

I think the Folders and Dongs only started their rebuild last season so they'll need another season or two before we see good signs while the Vipers have some talent on the list and I think are in a similar spot to the Folders and Dongs.

Perhaps the one thing which could benefit teams doing a rebuild is priority picks? If after two seasons you've won less than X games (I'd suggest 10) then you get an end of first round priority pick?

nrich102

Quote from: Memphistopheles on August 14, 2015, 12:06:53 PM
Quote from: JROO8 on August 13, 2015, 01:18:21 PM

I don't think we need to do anything about the unevenness of the competition. If anything this season has been more even. There is a wide gulf between the top and the bottom teams in the competition (probably Top 4 and bottom 4) but, that's because we have a few teams in rebuilding mode.

We started on our rebuild just two seasons ago and are already starting to show signs that we will be able to turn things around with a strong back end of this season.

The Llamas who lost most games two seasons ago are starting to rise up the ladder now and I'm sure the other rebuilding sides will do in the future.

I think the Folders and Dongs only started their rebuild last season so they'll need another season or two before we see good signs while the Vipers have some talent on the list and I think are in a similar spot to the Folders and Dongs.

Perhaps the one thing which could benefit teams doing a rebuild is priority picks? If after two seasons you've won less than X games (I'd suggest 10) then you get an end of first round priority pick?
At the moment if you win less than 2 games in a season you get a priority pick. Going to be very hard to get a priority pick with that. I say maybe if you win 4 or less games 2 seasons in a row?

Ricochet

Yeh priority picks are the best way to equalize the comp