Geelong admits sourcing drug from Stephen Dank in 2009

Started by Torpedo10, August 10, 2015, 09:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torpedo10

Holz

nah the cats dynasty is legendary and they did nothing wrong to tarnish it, unlike essendon.

nothing to see here.

Grazz

Quote from: Torpedo10 on August 10, 2015, 09:04:57 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/geelong-admits-sourcing-drug-from-stephen-dank-in-2009/story-fni0fiyv-1227477759583

So, will there be a barrage of hate mail for the Cats as there was for the Bombers?

There should be.

Can't see the link as i don't have a digital subscription but what i can say without reading it is clowns like Dank will tarnish everyone he's been involved with and some will question their achievements because of it, sad but true. This is why these A-holes need to weeded out and band for life. I'd go further and jail them for ten years.

Ziplock

When you read the article, it's nothing. As Grazz said, just tenuous connections to Dank make people look bad- it was all above board.

Torpedo10

That's Right Grazz, but everyone should be treated similarly, It seems as if Essendon have taken one for the league.

Jay

Quote from: Torpedo10 on August 10, 2015, 11:09:59 PM
That's Right Grazz, but everyone should be treated similarly, It seems as if Essendon have taken one for the league.
It doesn't seem like that at all actually..

Grazz

Torpedo10

Quote from: Jayman on August 10, 2015, 11:13:12 PM
Look, the lack of records into what Essendon did is disgusting but to say that the AFL as a whole doesn't have a drug problem is ABSURD. Not only recreational but also performance enhancing.

Ziplock

Quote from: Torpedo10 on August 10, 2015, 11:37:10 PM
Look, the lack of records into what Essendon did is disgusting but to say that the AFL as a whole doesn't have a drug problem is ABSURD. Not only recreational but also performance enhancing.

Was this in reference to the geelong article?

Cause geelong actually have documentation of what they gave their players, and had it cleared with the AFL, WADA and ASADA... it's not really the same thing as essendon at all.

The recreational drug use in AFL probably isn't, imo (albeit, without any stats to back me up, so all conjecture), massively higher than it would be in that age bracket/ income earning bracket. If anything, it'd probably be lower in the sense you wouldn't have large proportions smoking weed heaps, since it would flower with their performance as is detectable for so long.

Not saying that it isn't a problem, but so many people who make big bucks in sydney could basically make snowballs out of the coke they consume.

Performance enhancing is a bit different... players and clubs are mostly going to be circumventing current performance enhancing drug laws, but I doubt you'd have too many using drugs that are directly banned. It's probably not safe, and it's scummy... tbh, that's basically exactly what essendon did.

Point is- Australia has a drug problem, and elite athletes/ sports clubs are always going to try to get an edge whether it's safe or not. Still, something they should be trying to stamp out as much as possible.

Grazz

I don't think that is the case here with the Bombers mate. When your Captain fronts a press conference with all bar a couple of team mates behind him and tells the nation " When your employer can't tell you exactly what you were injected with it is concerning" now thats probably not an exact quote but it would be very very close to what Jobe said. Thats what the club has been fined for and received trade sanctions for.

ASADA couldn't prove that TB4 was used to which now WADA is appealing because they believe they have frozen samples from two players that have higher than normal levels of TB4 in them but this is now a separate issue to what you have been punished for already. You were fined etc for not keeping sufficient/adequate records of the injection regime that went on and for bringing the game into disrepute which however you break it down is just.

How many parents would continue to let their kids attempt to play AFL football if clubs were permitted to inject what they pleased and kept poor records to the point they couldn't say what was given at any one time.

I feel for the Essendon supporters 100% innocent in all this but have stuck fat to the club which is commendable to say the least.
I feel for the players who in this situation would of felt a great deal of pressure to be involved and took part with complete faith in the club to do it right but sadly the club let them down here as ive explained above. I don't believe or want to see the players receive any ban i just don't think they deserve it in all honesty they have been through more than enough. But and it's a big BUT and totally out of yours and my control under the WADA code an athlete must bare responsibilty for what is ultimately put in there body, this was done to stop the "I didn't know" excuse happening and thats where the players are buggered but if your told and given a list and you go home and with your parent s you do the searches of the WADA banned substances and it all comes back ok surely you'd expect some compassion from WADA in this instance, I pray they get it but WADA don't have to give it under the WADA code as it stands and as i said i will always say that's not fair if they cop a ban but i do fear for them.

I know people are gutted with all the stuff thats been hurled around and possibly at you as a supporter but here it is a nutshell and i except it's difficult to swallow but the Essendon Football club brought all this on the players and the supporters that is where the anger should be directed and James Hird was a big part of that and as much as i hate saying this to you mate thats where your anger and disappointment really should be directed. Im sorry but i call it as i see it and hope you understand that. 

Quote from: Torpedo10 on August 10, 2015, 11:37:10 PM

I don't doubt this for a second mate, one would be very naive to think that nobody else has pushed the boundaries of whats legal. I just hope they have all pulled their heads in and have been scared straight. Every club was investigated as thoroughly as possible and came up clean after the Essendon saga broke, did some get away with it, possibly they did but now we'll never know unless there is a whistle blower one day in the future and if so hit them hard also.

On the recreational drug side i would say pretty confidently that every club has had some sort of issue at some point, that much cash in the hands of very young men that come from all demographics is a recipe for disaster if footy clubs aren't vigilant and i feel alot haven't been vigilant enough tbh but i blame the three strikes policy for alot of that.