Melbourne vs North Melbourne Round 19

Started by Barra13, August 07, 2015, 09:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barra13

INCONSISTENT BASTERDS by JVM

Melbourne and North Melbourne are two teams whose form during the 2015 season is regarded by all and sundry as extremely inconsistent. Their highs and their lows over the year so far have been well documented and fans of both clubs have been heard leaving some of their games muttering the words "inconsistent basterds" as an apt description of the cause of their frustrations.

On this basis, one might think it would be a difficult task to select the winner of this week's contest at the MCG and yet the Kangaroos are rightly firm favourites with the pundits to win the match up.

The favouritism no doubt stems from the fact that they seem to be finding some consistency at last with wins in their last four matches. But if you look at who they've beaten since their 55-point loss to the Gold Coast Suns on the day of Garry Ablett Junior's comeback game five weeks ago, a different story emerges. They have since beaten Geelong (at a time when the Cats were at their absolute poorest), Essendon, Brisbane and Carlton whilst enjoying the AFL's dream fixture and it's been a while since they've had to fight out a pressure game against one of the competition's power house clubs.

Of course, at this stage of the journey Melbourne fans can only dream about winning two games in a row (let alone four) and there's that little matter of North's 13-game winning streak that goes back all the way to late in 2006 when Nathan Jones' career was in its infancy that makes them such firm favourites. When you consider that young Demons like Jesse Hogan, Angus Brayshaw, James Harmes and Alex Neal-Bullen were running around in the Under 11s and 10s when their club last prevailed over this week's opponent, it brings the enormity of the task into perspective.

And yet, I have this feeling that the time is ripe for Melbourne to overturn yet another long-running hoodoo. So far this year the club has smashed many of these, starting with the game over the Suns which marked its first opening round win in a decade. On the eve of Anzac Day, it beat Richmond to record its first Friday night win in a long time, Hogan kicked five goals against the Saints (albeit in a losing game) to end several years when the best an individual player had scored in a game was three and the wins against Geelong at Simonds Stadium and last week at Collingwood ended long droughts against those clubs. In the case of those latter victories, they were completely unexpected which is what one expects from inconsistent teams.

But if there has been one consistent thing about both clubs this year, it has been the form of their main ruckmen. Todd Goldstein has been great for the Kangaroos all year, is a certain All Australian and has been mentioned as a Brownlow chance. Max Gawn only grabbed the first ruck mantle at Melbourne after half a season at Casey but has been the stand out big man ever since and (pardon the pun) continues to grow in stature.

If Maxy can win his battle against Goldstein on Sunday he will consolidate a position among the top three or four ruckmen in the competition and go a long way to putting an end to his club's days as inconsistent basterds.

THE GAME Melbourne v North Melbourne on Sunday 9th August, 2015 at MCG at 1.10 pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Melbourne 83 wins North Melbourne 77 wins 1 draw

At MCG Melbourne 54 wins North Melbourne 35 wins

Last five times Melbourne 0 wins North Melbourne 5 wins

The Coaches Roos 0 wins Scott 2 wins

MEDIA

TV - Fox Footy Channel at 1.00pm (live)

RADIO - Triple M 3AW

THE BETTING

Melbourne to win $3.60 North Melbourne to win $1.29

LAST TIME THEY MET

North Melbourne 19.9.123 defeated Melbourne 14.9.93 at Etihad Stadium in Round 23, 2014

North rested some of their leading lights on the eve of the finals Melbourne the opportunity to stay in the game until the second half when the Roos took control and moved away to win by 5 goals. Nathan Jones and Dom Tyson were the best of the Demons.

THE TEAMS

MELBOURNE

B: Garland, Lynden Dunn, Neville Jetta
HB: Daniel Cross, Tom McDonald, Jeremy Howe
C: Jack Grimes, Dom Tyson, Heritier Lumumba
HF: Angus Brayshaw, Chris Dawes, Bernie Vince
F: Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan, Jack Watts
FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Jack Viney
I/C (from): James Harmes, Mark Jamar, Matt Jones, Viv Michie, Alex Neal-Bullen, Ben Newton, Aaron Vandenberg

IN: Mark Jamar, Matt Jones, Ben Newton

OUT:

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: Sam Wright, Robbie Tarrant, Lachlan Hansen
HB: Nick Dal Santo, Scott Thompson, Ben Jacobs
C: Shaun Higgins, Jack Ziebell, Shaun Atley
HF: Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Taylor Garner
F: Ben Brown, Jarrad Waite, Lindsay Thomas
FOLL: Todd Goldstein, Ben Cunnington, Andrew Swallow
I/C (from): Majak Daw, Sam Gibson, Luke McDonald, Aaron Mullett, Robin Nahas, Kayne Turner, Max Warren
IN: Majak Daw, Lachlan Hansen, Aaron Mullett, Robin Nahas, Max Warren

OUT: Ryan Bastinac (omitted), Michael Firrito (suspended)

Purple 77

North Melbourne's 5 consecutive games read:

Essendon, Brisbane, Carlton, Melbourne then St Kilda.

I'm fairly certain they were going to lose to one of them, so it is either this week or next.

Please, let it be this week.

Hogan to kick 4 I reckon.

Holz

North lost to Adelaide, Port, Hawks, Freo, Pies, Sydney , Goldcoat

North beat lions, cats, tigers, essendon, westcoast, gws, cats, essendon, lions, blues.

besides the GC game they have actually travelled alright this year. Freo Hawks Sydney you cant blame them for losing. Port Adealide and Pies (when they were on) are not bad losses.

Have been able to beat the Cats twice, tigers, WESTOAST at home.

way way too much class.

If north dont turn up it could be 20-30 in it but im expecting around 45 point win.

Purple 77

Purple 77

Was that the worst game Jack Watts has ever played?

To be honest, that loss was easier to stomach than usual. Was really pleased how we came back. Just too many skill errors and gifts to North Melbourne was the difference IMO.

Purple 77

But really, I can't believe how much I love Hogan. I just, like, love him.

Purple 77

Viney beats yet another quality opponent in Swallow, while tearing it up himself. Was our best midfielder.

And Dawes played a really good game, particularly the first half. He has actually been decent in the past 3-4 weeks. Still, there was a goal or two he needed to kick.

Big Mac

4 posts in a row purps? :P

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 09, 2015, 04:20:32 PM
Viney beats yet another quality opponent in Swallow, while tearing it up himself. Was our best midfielder.

And Dawes played a really good game, particularly the first half. He has actually been decent in the past 3-4 weeks. Still, there was a goal or two he needed to kick.

Viney has been amazing. So consistent too

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 09, 2015, 04:15:40 PM
Was that the worst game Jack Watts has ever played?

To be honest, that loss was easier to stomach than usual. Was really pleased how we came back. Just too many skill errors and gifts to North Melbourne was the difference IMO.

Someone said there's been a bug going around the club and Watts was one of the people who had it. I don't really care if it's true or not, but it makes it easier to stomach his performance so I'm going with it

Quote from: Purple 77 on August 09, 2015, 04:16:16 PM
But really, I can't believe how much I love Hogan. I just, like, love him.

<3

Purple 77

Yeah... each time I thought I was finished, but I then I thought of something else to say :P

Barra13

It's been a while since Jones was held that well. If he had more of an impact as well as Vince who knows how it could've gone. Dawes lead the comeback charge and could've been a belting if it wasn't for him. Viney was the best inside mid with Tyson #2 for us. Tyson's last few weeks have been good. Brayshaw did some nice things as well. Matt Jones was actually in my best players also.  ???