Main Menu

New numbers

Started by Bill Manspeaker, July 23, 2015, 07:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Manspeaker

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2018-12-17/number-12-lives-on-at-st-kilda

The famous No. 12 will once again be worn at St Kilda, with Nick Riewoldt formally passing on the number to Max King tonight.

The longest-serving captain in the club’s history, Riewoldt wore the No. 12 throughout his illustrious 336-game career.

The number was then rested upon his retirement at the end of 2017, however, Riewoldt says King is the perfect player to bring it back.

“I’m thrilled to be passing the number on to Max,” Riewoldt said.

“It’s pretty clear to see that he’s an impressive young man with incredible potential both on and off the field.

“In what has been a pretty tough year for him, he’s tackled his rehab with complete professionalism, and I know the club has been really happy with how he’s been tracking.

“I had a few injuries concerns in my first season. The club was conservative and did the best thing for me long-term, which worked out pretty well in the end.”

Riewoldt, who has spent the past few months with family in Texas, said it was important to be there in person to present the jumper to Max.

“Presenting him with his first No. 12 was a really special moment, and I hope he enjoys playing in it as much as I did and makes it his own.”

King, who grew up a Saints fan idolising Riewoldt, said he couldn’t quite believe it.

“I’ve literally dreamt about this moment for as long as I can remember,” King said.

“To be picked up by the Saints a few weeks ago was incredible, but to be given the jumper by Nick himself is just unimaginable.

“If I can have half the career he had I’ll be happy. I hope I can do Nick, the club and the supporters proud.”

1 - Coffield
12 - King
10 - Hannebery
19 - Marshall
23 - Bytel
25 - Kent
33 - Paton
34 - Parker
40 - Hind
41 - Young
44 - Wilkie
45 - Alabakis