Main Menu

Brilliant win!

Started by shorty3264, June 17, 2015, 05:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorty3264

Our best four quarter effort for some time I feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujk_AJX-78Q

Give it a watch and some feedback would be awesome. Also, how much does Stanley out hurt what has been a new-age ruck combo.

johnoP

Fantastic win- I was really expecting Port to run over the top in the final quarter but super solid 4 quarter effort from the team.
Very excited about the future prospect of a stanley/blicavs combo- getting a mid/back/ruck/rover/HF out of two players has to make the team harder to play against.

powersuperkents

Well deserved win. Makes me worried about Port Adelaide - they had the chance to run over them in the first half and just could not find the form from last year. Honestly, the Cats outplayed them (over as soon as the burst players broke the game open during the 3rd term) and Scott outcoached Hinkley with ease - this makes me very angry because there is no point of the power using a gameplan which the whole league has now studied and knows how to prevent (the post-to-post play). Geelong and Richmond have been the best two teams I've seen this season facing it - not just disarming it but capitalising upon it by scoring.

Really played well and Rhys Stanley was fantastic, I always thought this guy was a hack when he played as a forward for the Saints, and questioned why Geelong traded him in, but I truly saw his potential on Friday - he literally embarrassed Lobbe like I've never seen before, add Blicavs and it was a whitewashing in the centre. Really am starting to doubt Port's top 8 potential if they rely solely on this single game plan and a few players - Wines, White, Pittard, Broadbent, & Polec - to implement it. The other difference I noticed between to two sides was that Geelong rarely made mistakes - I believe the pivotal factors in securing victory is the ability to remove all mistakes (like Hawthorn, Sydney, & Fremantle), and capitalise upon it when your opposition blunders (like Hawthorn & esp. Sydney). Huge differences between the two teams (Port has been a basket of errors every game this season and has relied on speed and natural talent to win most games which hasn't been enough).

On the Port side I can say I was only happy with Wingard and Wines (the Cats even caused Robbie Gray - who I consider a no-fault player - to make simple errors through their pressure).

On the Geelong side no poor performance really springs to mind - I though Stanley, Blicavs, Kersten, Hawkins (although restricted had an impact), & Enright were incredible and Caddy was also influential. The Geelong defence still remains one of the best in the comp. imo and the emerging forward line is looking very strong (esp. Gregson).

Just drafted Jansen into my team yesterday (as a long-term prospect) so I'm hoping for a debut for him this week. Has been inconsistent in the VFL but when he's firing he accumulates +30 disposals - think he could start in the forward line or maybe the backs before gradually shifting to the mids.

Certainly a well deserved win and the young prospects makes this a team of the future rather than a peaking side (still a lot more to offer from the players - VFL & AFL)     

shorty3264

Some good views fellas!

Great insights there. All those Port comments were well and truly backed up today... woeful. I only got to listen to 10 minute patches here and there. But once again Port were helpless when the opposition picks holes in there gameplan. Top 4 was well gone but now top 8, unthinkably, could also be down the gurgler.

As for the Cats, stacks of upside! Looking forward to being at the game tomorrow to watch history with a champion of our club.

One interesting thing to watch in the coming year, this comment coming from your backline comments, we do have one of the best in the comp, i agree. The thing to watch is we have a top 4 backline with a middle of the road midfield and forward set up. So hopefully as the other areas improve we can still maintain that great defence which has been a Geelong feature for years,

Thanks for the comments lads. Video to come!