The Death of Guns & Rookies

Started by Mr.Craig, January 13, 2015, 09:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrads

Mid-late season we will probably see a trend of downgrades becoming basement-price players (with DPP for flexibility) just for the extra squeeze on cash. I still think if you use your team and trades like a stock-market you'll comfortably be able to bring yourself to 22 premiums by round 15ish.

Capper

Is AF Fantasy still going with 2 trades a week??

Mr.Craig

The_Captain

nrich102

Quote from: The_Captain on January 15, 2015, 10:10:06 PM
And 3 in bye week?
There weren't last season, so I assum not this season.

The_Captain

Quote from: nrich102 on January 16, 2015, 08:27:56 AM
And 3 in bye week?

Oh was that for DT or supercoach then? Maybe ive lost it haha

dirkdiggler

my initial approach might well be to focus on guns who are consistent and reliable in terms of injury/suspension etc etc.
So maybe Priddis/Ward/Cotchin etc etc Not sure really....perhaps having more set and forget options as opposed to swapping between premos..
It might allow me more scope to trade the midpricers earlier and bag some easier cash..Just an early thought, haven't done any real work on my team yet.

nrich102

Quote from: The_Captain on January 16, 2015, 05:16:40 PM
Quote from: nrich102 on January 16, 2015, 08:27:56 AM
And 3 in bye week?

Oh was that for DT or supercoach then? Maybe ive lost it haha
Yeah. DT and SC had 3 during the bye rounds but AF didnt.

Money

Anyone considering it this year? I hadn't realised how much quality can fit into a team going guns and rooks as we've  been blinded by the mid price options this year !

Counting Franklin and Rosa as a 'gun' or 'premo' I managed to squeeze in 15! That with F1-F3 being Martin, Dalhaus and Barlow and D1-D3 then being Bartel, Simpson and Yeo. Not to mention 5 out in out gun mids.

And with rookies being Brown (Ess), Broad, Keays, Matheison, Menegola, Kent and Kommer on field. Who really should all fit into their respected 22s.

So did we right off Guns and Rooks too early? Or are the mid priced options reasonable  enough to go with?

(If anyone thinks I should make this into a new thread let me know otherwise fire away here)

Mr.Craig

Lol, nice bump. ;) I was going to write a bunch of these things but got lazy.

I think my original post holds the answers, although the conclusions I was drawing at the time proved to be off the mark. It turns out there were a number of mid pricers who were justifiable picks and enough rookies around to make good money. Picking a player is a complex balancing act and I don't really need to go into those considerations, but what I will say is that any player has the potential be a great pick regardless of their starting price.

As far as this year goes there is massive potential in mid priced players mostly due to guys coming back from LTI's or being significantly undervalued due to vests. Then you've got the potential breakouts.

Hunter, Daniel, Patton, D.Menzel, Kerridge, Bird, B.Kennedy, Kent, Simpkin, C.Ellis, B.Crouch, M.Crouch, Liberatore, Aish, Yeo, Williams, A.Hall, Hartung, Petracca, Anderson, Acres, Whitecross, Lamb, Harwood...the list goes on. It's a minefield by if you pluck the right guys from that list you'll go a long way to a high ranking. Pick too many of them, or the wrong ones and you are shot.

Right now I've got 12 premiums, 7 that fall loosely into the category of mid price and 11 "rookies". All you can really do is choose players on their merits and go from there.

I do worry about the rookie stocks this year. There'll be enough around to start with and probably for the first wave of downgrades but beyond that I don't see a huge amount of depth or rookie listed gems. I'm willing to pay a premium to get on the best rookies available early to bank as much cash as I can.

T Dog

Going with as many guns as I can get. Means more rookies than mid pricers, but that's just me.  :)

Ricochet

Quote from: T Dog on February 26, 2016, 11:12:45 AM
Going with as many guns as I can get. Means more rookies than mid pricers, but that's just me.  :)
I'm with ya mate

Grannyboy

There are a few middies/expensive rooks looking the goods in round 1 but as Rancey said: "One hot day doesn't make a summer." ??? :P