Main Menu

Malthouse sacked

Started by Bill Manspeaker, May 26, 2015, 02:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

looks that way doesn't it. Should have waited until the end of the year imo

Nige

He'll be sacked by day's end by the sounds of it.

Edit: Apparently might even be within the next few hours.

ossie85

Cheers Mick, thanks for the career

Jay

Mailman the 2nd

Respect that he had such a long career, but that was one of the worst finishes to a career I've ever seen

LordSneeze

Was always gonna happen.

Mat0369

Considering his comments you can't be surprised. He was already skating on thin ice.

On a side note, I am looking at memberships

Ricochet

The Calrton boys would want to start winning games, no excuses now

Mailman the 2nd

Apparently Malthouse said something along the lines Eddie Betts signing with Adelaide from Carlton well before he actually left via free agency due to Steven Trigg

Mat0369

Quote from: Ricochet on May 26, 2015, 02:53:44 PM
The Calrton boys would want to start winning games, no excuses now

The list is going to get blown up either way. You just want to blood as much youth as possible and maximise trade value on a few others.

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on May 26, 2015, 02:56:08 PM
Apparently Malthouse said something along the lines Eddie Betts signing with Adelaide from Carlton well before he actually left via free agency due to Steven Trigg

Morning Glory âœ"@MorningGlorySEN
"Steven Trigg assured us when he arrived, dont take it (Eddie Betts leaving) too personally, we (Crows) had him stitched up 18 months out"
Follow
Ned Guy @nedguy12
@MorningGlorySEN That is 100% incorrect

Mailman the 2nd

That's tampering effectively if the AFL find evidence of it no? Isn't Trigg on some kind of suspended sentence as well

Never mind he was suspended for 6 months earlier, his career in afl could well be over though

Mat0369

If I was Trigg I would be furious. Regardless if it is true or not, as you said, it could lead to potential tampering charges and a suspension

Mat0369

I'll try and post quote the article in here as well

QuoteSack or reappoint me: Mick Malthouse on future as Carlton Blues coach

MICK MALTHOUSE HAS BEEN SACKED BY CARLTON
Decision comes after explosive ‘back me or sack me’ radio interview
Club board called crisis meeting and decided to terminate his contract
Scroll down for live updates
UPDATE: CARLTON has sacked coach Mick Malthouse.

The veteran coach is addressing his players for the final time after being told by CEO Steven Trigg that his contract had been terminated.

Malthouse was given his marching orders this afternoon after an explosive early-morning radio interview.

The veteran coach was called out of a match committee meeting, where he was picking the team for Friday night’s match, and summoned to Trigg’s office.

The AFL had talks with Carlton this morning during which they were made aware of the club’s decision.

Club officials arrived at Ikon Park following a meeting at club president Mark LoGiudice’s Queen St office following Malthouse’s outburst aimed at the board on SEN this morning.

Malthouse had told confidantes he expected to “be tapped” at some time today after publicly declaring the club would have to make a call whether to sack him or reappoint him.

On Monday, the Blues said they would make a call on their senior coach during the bye in Round 11, but Malthouse this morning all but dared the board to sack him, declaring that waiting two weeks to make a decision was pointless and refusing to step down.

John Barker has firmed as the most likely man to take over as interim coach.

Barker and Dean Laidley, both assistants to Malthouse, have been the names touted as potential fill-ins, but Barker, 40, is considered most likely to get the gig as the Carlton hierarchy are impressed with the energy he could bring to the club.

Barker, in his second year as backline coach at the Blues, has a good rapport with the players and is regarded as having more potential to be a senior coach.

A phone call from Trigg on Saturday morning set the scene for Malthouse’s departure.

Trigg told Malthouse that the Blues board could not tolerate another heavy loss â€" and they face a red-hot Sydney at the SCG on Friday night.

Malthouse arrived at Ikon Park shortly after 10am and took centre stage in a circle of his players ahead of training before delivering a passionate pep talk with the words “stick together” heard from the grandstand.

Media and supporters were then told to leave the arena as it was a closed training session.

Long-time member Lesley Makaravicius was one of the few allowed to watch the session and she said the coach had the full attention of his troops.

“He seemed to be very much in charge,” she said. “I don’t know whether he was wanting it to be a legacy for the young boys but he seemed to be concentrating a lot on teaching methods.

“He did a lot of work with the young ones. He was doing a lot of midfield coaching.”

Earlier, Malthouse declared the club will have to make a call to sack him or reappoint him.

“I will not be standing down,” he said on SEN radio.

Asked if that meant he would have to be sacked, he answered: “Either that or they reappoint me”.

But you’re not expecting that are you? “No”.

Despite the club’s insistence that it was waiting until a bye round, Malthouse said he believed the it had already made its decision and results against Sydney and Adelaide are irrelevant.

“If I was the second-year coach you might find two weeks under pressure to find out whether the bloke can handle the pressure (would be worthwhile).

“When you’ve coached for 30 years two weeks is hardly relevant,” he said on SEN.

“What I’m saying is I don’t see what’s to be gained by it.”

In an explosive interview, Malthouse said:

* BLUES CEO Steven Trigg had talked to him about appointing a caretaker coach but no names had been raised.

* TRIGG also told him forward Eddie Betts had signed with Adelaide while he was still playing for Carlton. Player manager Ned Guy immediately took to Twitter to declare that was “100 per cent incorrect”. The Herald Sun has asked the AFL if it will investigate the allegation.

* PLAYERS have approached him to voice their concerns about the psychological impact of talk the club was rebuilding.

* WHEN former CEO Greg Swann and president Stephen Kernahan left the club and a new administration led by Mark LoGiudice and Trigg took over “I knew it was going to be a difficult position to hold on”.

Malthouse said he had been told he wouldn’t be judged on wins and losses. Asked if the goalposts had shifted this year he said “absolutely, totally”.

“Boards crack under pressure and the first thing that goes is the coach because it relieves a bit of the pressure and they beat their chest because they’ve made a decision,” Malthouse said.

“I’ve been a position on the other side for 30 years arguing (sacking a coach mid-season) is damn ridiculous, I still think it’s damn ridiculous, but I don’t run football clubs.

“What do they get out of it, is it an ego trip or is it a pressure release? I don’t know.”