Main Menu

Will Minson

Started by JBs-Hawks, April 30, 2015, 11:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoLions

Ringo

Quote from: GoLions on May 26, 2015, 08:23:41 PM

Do not blame them appealing - Just a ridiculous decision - One match maximum imo. Know touching umpires is a no no but 4 weeks for that tap is out of proportion when we see some of the weak penalties already handed out this year.

Big Mac

I fail to see what a 4 week suspension achieves as opposed to a 1 week suspension or even a fine

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 26, 2015, 08:37:09 PM
I fail to see what a 4 week suspension achieves as opposed to a 1 week suspension or even a fine

It rams home the idea that touching/intimidating the umpires is the worst thing you can do, which I agree with.

However, considering the umpires said he should be reprimanded, don't really see how a 4 week suspension fits into that. 1 week would've fit better

Big Mac

Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on May 26, 2015, 09:02:01 PM

It rams home the idea that touching/intimidating the umpires is the worst thing you can do, which I agree with.

So 1 week wouldn't send a message?

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 26, 2015, 09:43:56 PM
Quote from: Mailman the 2nd on May 26, 2015, 09:02:01 PM

So 1 week wouldn't send a message?

Standard was set with Moore. It's pretty simple, they want to stay as far away from association football where players basically shake and borderline bully referees.

elephants

If the umpire says it should be a reprimand, it should be imo. One week at most. Completely different situation if the ump feared for his safety but he probably didn't even realise it happened until after the game lol

Grazz

Four games is extremely harsh for what it was then to throw in the Ump asking for a reprimand or fine ontop of it makes the judgement harder to accept. The clear message is do not touch an umpire under any circumstance and that message is directed at the Amateur Comps i feel, this is where the Umps are the most vulnerable to abuse or assault. Examples are going to be made of anyone that touches an Ump regardless of their intention good or bad. I applaud them for their stance on the Umps but a bit of common sense and rational is needed at the same time, the message will still get through if he received 1 or 2 games.

Ricochet

He got more weeks than what Moore did http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-23/moore-deserved-harsh-penalty-for-umpire-push-says-matthews

So there must be something more too it surely. The vision looks like a tap but it must have been vicious in nature? I dunno

Grazz

The AFL have all the stats on the Umps and there could be a decline in those taking up the job of being an Ump in lesser comps hence their over reaction to some incidents like Will's i don't know just guessing but somethings made them steer this course of harsh punishment regardless of the circumstance.

elephants

What about in future if with all umpire contact cases the umpires decided on the penalty?

Probably a lot of flaws in this idea but its worth a shout.

Ziplock

there would have to be more, to me it looks like a pat on the back rather than anything else...

elephants

Shame, reckon he could get a call-up this week after the touch up Cordy last week :o

Big Mac

Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2015, 10:46:41 AM
Shame, reckon he could get a call-up this week after the touch up Cordy last week :o

So he did end up getting a call-up  :o

elephants

Quote from: Big  Mac on May 28, 2015, 07:03:44 PM
Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2015, 10:46:41 AM
So he did end up getting a call-up  :o

Kinda called it? Can I..? Yep, I'll claim it :p