Main Menu

Beginning of the end for the Champ

Started by SydneyRox, April 16, 2015, 11:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCSkiwi

Quote from: PICCOLLO on July 31, 2015, 09:52:17 AM
To call all booers booing Goodes racist is small minded and baffling. 

I don't think anyone is actually doing this, the problem is the head-in-sand approach being taken that there isn't ANY racist booing.

However, some Carlton supporters are probably booing because of the spear throwing thing, not for the racial component but because he went over to them and taunted them. A struggling club having the opposing team's success rubbed in their face will incite boos. It's showmanship on Goodes' part; what did he expect?

As I tried to highlight above, it is a matter of perspective. You call it a taunt because that's how you frame it mentally, if you were to kick a goal against an opposing team and run over to their spectators, it would be as a taunting gesture. I have no doubt that played a part in what Goodes did, but I also have no doubt it was not his sole motivation. He was showing pride in his culture. Similarly when Jetta did it on the weekend, it was to show support and respect for his friend. There's a raft of motivations for these displays, and it's not always the most immediately obvious one. But still, fair enough for the Carlton supporters to boo him. Then. There. What's been everyone else's excuse since?

Quote from: PICCOLLO on July 31, 2015, 09:52:17 AMGoodes does stage for free kicks instead of getting on with the game too; a quality lots of us don't like. (We hate watching the soccer players rolling around)

Ok, again though he's not alone in that, but he is alone in the level of reaction it's generated. Other players get booed in isolation for particular events. Goodes is being harassed. Is he that much worse than others who do the same thing?

However, the continued booing needs to stop.  We now know it's affecting Goodes mentally and he can't cope.  That makes the booing a form of bullying.  We love this guy for what he's done for the game and what he's done as an Australian.  It's time to restore some faith.

Exactly, and it's that mentality that more people need to adopt. Whether we want to call it racist or not, it's still gone too far for whatever reason. It's personal, it's not about his gameplay any more (because I accept for some that is all it's about), people are playing the man and not the ball now.

Quote from: Ricochet on July 31, 2015, 10:39:22 AM
Booing and cheering is apart of the game. There is absolutely no reason to stop it in general.

But for Goodes, we now have to because it's affecting him mentally. And it wouldn't be any different if he was white. We need to show a bit of compassion now

I agree. I don't think you should (or even can) ban booing. But at some stage you have to draw a line under something and let it go, that doesn't seem to have happened for Goodes.

jvalles69

Quote from: GCSkiwi on July 31, 2015, 08:11:33 AM
And funnily enough after I mention a few players I see this on my facebook feed:

https://www.facebook.com/thatguywhorants/posts/1114357908592264:0

"Some people say they boo him because of his style of play: he's flamboyant, he "stages" for free kicks, and let's not forget that he celebrates goals in an indigenous manner during rounds specifically set out to celebrate indigenous culture. In Aussie terms, they boo him because "he's a flog". But the game is rife with players who do exactly these things, and those players don't get booed. Hayden Ballantyne of the Fremantle Dockers is one of the most hated football players in the entire AFL, and he doesn't get booed. Joel Selwood, Brent Harvey, Jack Riewoldt, Luke Hodge, Dustin Martin, none of them get booed either despite displaying the same sort of antics on a regular basis. Why do you suppose that is?"

If you read the whole post it's quite interesting. Granted there's some inaccuracies but if you focus on the message...

I've read this article and many more.

I believe SOME booers are racially motivated and I can't condemn them enough for that.  However, some Carlton supporters are probably booing because of the spear throwing thing, not for the racial component but because he went over to them and taunted them. A struggling club having the opposing team's success rubbed in their face will incite boos. It's showmanship on Goodes' part; what did he expect? Goodes does stage for free kicks instead of getting on with the game too; a quality lots of us don't like. (We hate watching the soccer players rolling around)

To call all booers booing Goodes racist is small minded and baffling

However, the continued booing needs to stop.  We now know it's affecting Goodes mentally and he can't cope.   That makes the booing a form of bullying.  We love this guy for what he's done for the game and what he's done as an Australian.  It's time to restore some faith.

I don't think there is a single person who would disagree with those 2 highlighed points.  The media are the ones to blame for this getting out of hand calling the boos racist when they have no idea, but everyone against Goodes has no idea if the boos are in fact racist so everyone just needs to move on.  Like I said before, it would be something for Goodes to come out and just say the boos are racist to him and it's affecting his mental health, respect would be returned and he'd go on with no more boos, I believe that.

jvalles69

Anyone read the commetrary from Dallas Scott, can't find a link, but it's posted via his facebook page.  100% agree with this guy and it's why Goodes annoys the hell ou of me.

Gigantor

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 31, 2015, 11:49:16 AM
Anyone read the commetrary from Dallas Scott, can't find a link, but it's posted via his facebook page.  100% agree with this guy and it's why Goodes annoys the hell ou of me.

http://theblacksteamtrain.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/adam-goodes-ensuring-racism-as-sport.html

This was written last year about "apegate", the last paragraph will resonant with a lot of people

http://theblacksteamtrain.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/the-wayland-smithers-school-of.html

This is from Wednesday, gotta love The Simpson reference :)

jvalles69

Quote from: Gigantor on July 31, 2015, 12:15:06 PM

http://theblacksteamtrain.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/adam-goodes-ensuring-racism-as-sport.html

This was written last year about "apegate", the last paragraph will resonant with a lot of people

http://theblacksteamtrain.blogspot.com.au/2015/07/the-wayland-smithers-school-of.html

The main part to takeaway.

"As Adam walks out for his next game, before making his way onto that perfectly manicured stadium lawn, I suggest he take a deep, slow breath and reflect upon the reality of his life.  Rather than having to emerge from the sheds for the ‘coloured people’, kept separate from the white folks playing beside him, he will run out after being supported by his entire team, not kept to the back.  When he is thirsty, he doesn’t have to take a drink at the appropriately labelled drinking fountain, set aside for only folks with his racial identity, but rather will be served like a prince, with a special servant whose only job is to provide refreshments for the thirsty players, regardless of their skin colour or heritage.  As he drives his brand new sports car to training, where he looks around at the other players arriving in their equally expensive vehicles and stops to realise he is paid just as much as them, if not more, he should perhaps pause a moment and wonder about whether he is fighting a war that has already been won, and instead of complaining from his position at the top, realise how those on the bottom rungs might be sick of hearing him whinging and would much rather he just got on with life. "

shaker

Quote from: jvalles69 on July 31, 2015, 12:27:33 PM
Quote from: Gigantor on July 31, 2015, 12:15:06 PM

The main part to takeaway.

"As Adam walks out for his next game, before making his way onto that perfectly manicured stadium lawn, I suggest he take a deep, slow breath and reflect upon the reality of his life.  Rather than having to emerge from the sheds for the ‘coloured people’, kept separate from the white folks playing beside him, he will run out after being supported by his entire team, not kept to the back.  When he is thirsty, he doesn’t have to take a drink at the appropriately labelled drinking fountain, set aside for only folks with his racial identity, but rather will be served like a prince, with a special servant whose only job is to provide refreshments for the thirsty players, regardless of their skin colour or heritage.  As he drives his brand new sports car to training, where he looks around at the other players arriving in their equally expensive vehicles and stops to realise he is paid just as much as them, if not more, he should perhaps pause a moment and wonder about whether he is fighting a war that has already been won, and instead of complaining from his position at the top, realise how those on the bottom rungs might be sick of hearing him whinging and would much rather he just got on with life. "

Spot on you see it the same as me others don't and that is ok we all don't have to agree , some who boo may be racist I don't know but the majority of them I think are just sick of his whinging and the fact him using the word racist has set off a nasty situation all because of booing , this is only going to increase the booing and he must know that ? so suck it up Adam block the booing out stop whinging and play footy or quit and follow your cause away from the football field

PowerBug

Adam Goodes recently admitted to being affected by boos, I think it was a couple of months ago? Now since then, his level of boos has increased. I believe it has a lot to do with that point, if he doesn't like it, then people will do it to annoy him. If a player that people liked (Say Rory Sloane) came out and said he didn't like people whistling during the game, people will whistle when he gets the ball to put him off. A crowd is there to help their team, and that includes hurting the opposition. In saying that I have some issues with booing the opposition, like why they get booed when they run onto the ground before the match. During the match fair enough, but before the game come on.

Back to the point though, if Adam Goodes is of the impression that the negative attention he attracts is racially motivated, it has to stop, and stop now.

Kellogscrunchynut

I think Damien Hardwick hit the nail on the head, at best it's bullying and at worst it's racism. Either way it needs to stop.

ossie85

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on August 01, 2015, 01:50:16 PM
I think Damien Hardwick hit the nail on the head, at best it's bullying and at worst it's racism. Either way it needs to stop.

Exactly right!

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: ossie85 on August 01, 2015, 01:59:23 PM

Exactly right!
agreed it is bullying!

i dislike the word racist being used, it divides everyone, the definition of racism by the nation, the world in general is what needs to be addressed correctly.

There was a poll in the paper that 78% of the nation as a whole thought it wasnt racist.

The question should have been how many of you think you are racist?

The vast majority do not think they are, steps can be then taken as a whole nation to make the necessary adjustments to better understand together, not point fingers argue and divide :-X

Ziplock

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on August 02, 2015, 10:00:03 AM

Exactly right!
agreed it is bullying!

i dislike the word racist being used, it divides everyone, the definition of racism by the nation, the world in general is what needs to be addressed correctly.

There was a poll in the paper that 78% of the nation as a whole thought it wasnt racist.

The vast majority do not think they are, steps can be then taken as a whole nation to make the necessary adjustments to better understand together, not point fingers argue and divide :-X

I'd be interested to see if that statistic changes if you polled minorities who are actually subjugated to racism.

I think GCSkiwi summed it up pretty well for the large part- it's one thing to boo a player when they commit a certain act, but it's another thing to begin to systematically boo and harrass a player 'coincidentally' after they publicise their opinions on indigenous issues.

Maybe a lot of the booing isn't racially motivated- people are just doing it because they've never liked goodes as a player, and now they have the option to constantly voice that opinion alongside the masses. But I think the reason why they have that option is because there is a significant portion of booers who are booing for racially motivated reasons (whether conscious or unconsciously), and I think adding your voice in support of those boos is problematic.

As for the 13 year old girl... racism needs to be called out, regardless of age. If she honestly didn't know that was a racial insult, she'd have to be a flowering moron.... 13 year olds are kids, but it's not like they're infants, they know what they're doing. Sometimes you have to take a hard stand on these things- honestly if he'd gone up to her after the game privately she/ her family probably would have just laughed in his face.

If you want to boo goodes when he stages for a free kick, or snipes someone, w.e imo, go for it, he's no different to any other player. But if you're constantly booing him throughout the game, then you're a bit of a cow.

Holz

Quote from: RiOtChEsS on August 02, 2015, 10:00:03 AM

Exactly right!
agreed it is bullying!

the truth is 99.9999999% of people are racist in the technical term. I dont think there is anyone out there who has zero prejudice about anything.