Main Menu

Blues 2016 H&A Discussion

Started by Vinny, April 01, 2015, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronKirk

Quote from: fanTCfool on July 04, 2016, 07:49:01 PM
I don't know what his contractual situation is like, but I hope we look at Jack Redpath in the off season.
The Doggies have obviously put their money with Boyd, so he could be looking for better JS and we desperately need a key forward.

Carlton are looking at Vickery aren't they?

Nige

Mat0369

Quote from: AaronKirk on August 02, 2016, 10:19:28 AM
Carlton are looking at Vickery aren't they?

God no, why? We already have our spud forward quota with Liam Jones.

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on August 02, 2016, 10:02:26 AM
Looks like Walker is about to announce his retirement

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-02/versatile-carlton-veteran-andrew-walker-expected-to-walk

When he was up and going he was an amazing player. He had all the tools. One of my favourite football moments was the mark he took on Carlisle at the G. I was at the game and had a pretty good side view from the top deck, it is still stuck in my head.

I am assuming Jamo isn't too far off retiring as well, he has battled injury for most of his career and has had an undisclosed illness which has kept him out of footy for a lot of this year as well. Both he and Walker were elite in their positions when they were fit but both struggled with their bodies.

Mat0369

Jamo has just retired effective immediately.

Mat0369

Dear Carlton members and supporters,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you to announce my retirement from AFL football, effective immediately.

In recent times, I have found it increasingly hard to prepare, both physically and mentally, for the rigours of the sport. Being a representative of our football club demands an individual give nothing short of 100 per cent, and I’ve come to the realisation that I can no longer sustain the intensity required to play AFL.

When you’re in among the day-to-day routine of training, preparing and playing, it’s often difficult to step away and reflect upon all that has happened, but, since I made the decision to retire, I’ve had a chance to recall some of my achievements over my 10-year journey at the Blues. Experiences like going from a rookie-listed player to captaining the team on occasions and my tenure as vice-captain seem surreal, and I thank the Club for allowing me to represent it in those prestigious positions. Life Membership is something that I’m particularly proud of, and I know that inextricable link to the Carlton Football Club is only going to mean more and more as the years pass by.

I’ve been blessed to work with some incredible people who have each had an influence in shaping me into the man I am today. To the men who have served as senior coach throughout my career, Denis Pagan, Brett Ratten, Mick Malthouse, John Barker and Brendon Bolton, I thank you for everything you did for me.

To those assistant coaches that I’ve worked closely with over the years, in particular Gavin Crosisca, Brent Montgomery, Gavin Brown, Rob Wiley and Dale Amos, I thank you for investing the time and effort you have in me. We’ve shared some incredible memories together, and I can’t thank you enough for the support and guidance you have provided.

To the players I’ve run out with, thank you for your unwavering friendship. To know that I have people I can count on long after footy means the world to me. I’d especially like to thank the band of brothers who have lined up in defence with me throughout the years.

To my fiancée Georgie and my family, Jim, Sue, James, Will and Lucia, thank you for always believing in me. You’ve had to endure all of the ups and downs throughout the years, but your patience and unwavering support has kept me going. I couldn’t have done it without you. Thanks also to my manager, Nigel Carmody.

I’m going to miss footy. Knowing I’ll never don the navy blue guernsey again is difficult to process, but I leave with a decade’s worth of memories that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. The thrill of running out onto the MCG in front of 95,000 people is a rush that I know I’ll never be able to replicate, while the feeling after a win, being surrounded by family, teammates and support staff is something that I’ll look back upon fondly and, to a certain extent, wistfully.

The support the Carlton family continues to conjure week after week, year after year, is a true testament to you all. The boys appreciate it so much and, personally, it’s something I’ll never forget. I thank you for all the support and kindness you’ve shown me and I can’t wait to sit with you in the years to come and cheer on future generations of Carlton players.

I hope that I’ve been able to do the guernsey proud.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Jamison

blue

Great to see another of our 2015 draftees named this week in cuningham, leaving only McKay left to debut, which hopefully we will see in the next few weeks. I was happy enough with what I have already seen from jack, curnow and weitering but to get 4 of 5 out there is just fantastic for the club and hopefully puts the shambles of the 2014 draft behind us

Mat0369

I was really pleased with the performance today. If only we had shown up with half the intensity we had today against the Lions we would have won that game. Buckley may have just locked himself a new contract after today's game. With his inconsistent year he may have been one we looked to ship off. It will be interesting to see how this offseason goes with so many guys out of contract but still stuck with a few guys locked into bad deals.

fanTCfool

Special mention must go to Liam Jones today, defensive pressure was good and an aerial presence

Rusty00

Hey guys, how many seasons do you reckon Simmo has in him. Has an amazing record of durability so I would've thought a couple more seasons at least? I guess (barring any unforeseen major injury) it will come down to his mindset on whether he wants to continue playing?

fanTCfool

Quote from: Rusty00 on September 05, 2016, 04:39:02 PM
Hey guys, how many seasons do you reckon Simmo has in him. Has an amazing record of durability so I would've thought a couple more seasons at least? I guess (barring any unforeseen major injury) it will come down to his mindset on whether he wants to continue playing?

2017 looks set to be his last, though body-wise he could go on for many more. In fact, he hasn't signed on for 2017 yet IIRC but I am almost 100% certain that he will.

elephants

Quote from: fanTCfool on September 05, 2016, 04:59:07 PM
Quote from: Rusty00 on September 05, 2016, 04:39:02 PM

2017 looks set to be his last, though body-wise he could go on for many more. In fact, he hasn't signed on for 2017 yet IIRC but I am almost 100% certain that he will.

When he did his calf a year or two ago I thought he was done. Pretty ultimate professional but I agree that 2017 will be his last.