Main Menu

Blues 2016 H&A Discussion

Started by Vinny, April 01, 2015, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

Levi has to play this weekend. What I would consider doing for this round is this

Jaksch for Levi - White goes to half back and you also have the option of swinging Hendo. You also want to stretch the Eagles depleted tall defender stocks. This allows Rowe to play permanently down back and Levi to spell Wood in the ruck

Tutt in for Daisy - Tutt will either play as the sub or can play as a half forward. On the big ground he can try and use his pace to exploit his opponents running back to goal.

Armfield or Whiley for Clem Smith. It depends if they want the pace or the bigger body. Smith doesn't have the endurance to run out a full game and I think it is too much of a risk to take him over to Perth. I guess both could come in with Dennis the sub. If that is the case I would expect Cripps to get dropped. Whiley is still trying to build a fitness base coming off injury so he might miss. Graham would be the other since he is the accumulator and he had a bit of the ball. Ellard is probably another logical option since he can play as a small forward and he is a good vest candidate since he has been able to come on in the past and snag bags of goals.  Boekhorst looks like he needs to hit his straps at reserve level and he didn't do that in his first performance so I will be shocked if he is named.

Kellogscrunchynut

What happened to Armfield? not long ago he was a certain starter, and looking like becoming a premier shutdown player of the comp.

Big Mac

Is there any chance Cripps gets mid time this week?

Or should I be okay to trade him? Probably won't do it this early, but just in case

Mat0369

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on April 07, 2015, 11:01:31 PM
What happened to Armfield? not long ago he was a certain starter, and looking like becoming a premier shutdown player of the comp.

He was probably our best forward tagger in 2012 and had really improved that season as an overall player. He struggled with injury in 2013 and his disposal seemed to regress back to pretty poor. 2014 Carlton were using Daisy in the role with Ellard and Menz as the small forwards once Jeffy was dropped. He can't come on as a sub because his disposal doesn't make him effective impacting games and once he stopped hitting the scoreboard Mick phased him out. I think with Daisy out 6-8 he will have a chance to come in and play in that position so it will be interesting.

Quote from: Big  Mac on April 07, 2015, 11:04:03 PM
Is there any chance Cripps gets mid time this week?

Or should I be okay to trade him? Probably won't do it this early, but just in case

Same role as last week. He had his minutes in the middle but his disposal isn't great and he is handball happy which won't help his SC scoring. Thomas was playing the year as a half forward so that is why I have Tutt coming in. Off the top of my head I see Carrots running with Priddis, Curnow going with Gaff and Everitt running with Shuey. Everitt and Curnow could swap match-ups but I see it similar to that. Murph will get the Selwood tag, interestingly Murph didn't get a lot of midfield minutes either and played a bit off HF. He destroyed WC last time he played them so between him, Gibbs and Judd that will be the bulk of the center square rotations.

elephants

So Tommy Bell slaaaayed it on the weekend. Always thought he had the tools to be quality. Blues fans reckons he will continue this good scoring?

Mat0369

Because I am a lazy f'er I'll do a copy paste from something I wrote at the start of the pre-season

Quote from: Mat0369 on January 15, 2015, 03:44:55 PM
Tom Bell - He is the human wrecking ball. A huuuuuuuggggggggeeeeee midfielder and one of my fav players at the club with the way he goes about it. With Brock and Robbo gone I think he cements his spot in the 22 running through the guts. He obviously has ability but hasn't had it all click yet. At 343k I will probably prefer Monfries, but don't be surprised by a 90 average for Tom Bell. He can butcher the ball, but he also wins the hard ball and has a big motor, he can also kick goal which is handy. He has had a few broken fingers/hands the last couple of seasons which has also seen him miss games

elephants

haha cheers man, looking at possibly picking him up in my elite draft. If he can produce consistent 80+ efforts it'd be tough to say no!

Mat0369

Yeah he is one I was looking at for my draft as well. I ended up getting Gus not expecting him to get the vest.

Mat0369

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-09/two-blues-in-frame

QuoteCARLTON forward Levi Casboult and speedy recruit Jason Tutt have boarded the plane to Perth and appear likely to come into the side to face West Coast at Domain Stadium on Friday night.

Strong-marking big man Casboult was left out of the Blues' 27-point round-one loss to Richmond due to a lack of form.
But the 199cm big man, who booted 15 goals in 19 games last season, looks set to take the place of Kristian Jaksch (broken ribs) and could cause headaches for the Eagles' depleted defence.

West Coast will be without key backmen Eric Mackenzie and Mitch Brown for the rest of the season, with the pair recently suffering season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injuries.

However, 196cm Will Schofield (ankle) is set to return to a key defensive post for the Eagles alongside impressive youngster Jeremy McGovern.

Casboult booted one goal and had a strong physical presence for the Northern Blues in a VFL practice match on Good Friday, while Tutt collected 21 disposals and kicked a clever goal playing up forward and on a wing.

The pacy 23-year-old could replace injured star Dale Thomas (shoulder) for his first Carlton appearance after he walked out on the Western Bulldogs at the end of last year following 26 games and 22 goals in four seasons.

Some Blues players, including star midfielders Chris Judd and Marc Murphy, travelled to Perth on Wednesday.

I would be shocked if we only made two changes this week

Nige

Surely the Eagles without Mackenzie and Brown means that Levi comes in as another tall to stretch the Eagles back line?

Mat0369

Oh yeah, I am certain he will come in, but I figured at least 3 were going to be dropped

Nige

Quote from: Mat0369 on April 09, 2015, 02:23:01 PM
Oh yeah, I am certain he will come in, but I figured at least 3 were going to be dropped
We'll see if you're right in 4 hours.

Mat0369

So change 3 ended up being Cripps.

and

QuoteEllard is probably another logical option since he can play as a small forward and he is a good vest candidate since he has been able to come on in the past and snag bags of goals.

Mat0369

For those wondering why Murph has dropped off from where he was a few years ago, he is routinely getting his knee drained and jabs so he is able to get up and play each week.

Mat0369

Is anyone watching the post game? They were talking about Eddie Betts and him leaving Carlton. Dermie says he wouldn't pay Eddie 450k while Mark Maclure said he would since he is a 40 goal a year forward. Dermie was saying that for Betts to be successful he needs to be at the feet of Taylor Walker so he wouldn't be worth the cash and they had a bit of back and forth. King brought up the Thomas move which Dermie couldn't defend. The thing I think people underrate with Eddie is his goal assists and his leadership qualities. He played a huge part in keeping Yaz, Jeffy and Robbo happy and in line. Considering two of those went off the rails last year and are no longer there it adds to the pain