Main Menu

NAB 2 Roundup

Started by Mr.Craig, March 08, 2015, 07:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

How the young guys went...

Jed Anderson - Not as influential as last week, had some closer attention and was off for a while in Q2 having his back worked on. Was super classy as always and his handballing in tight space was a highlight. Still looms as a Round 1 selection.

Billy Hartung - Excellent game. Not big numbers and missed a goal he should have kicked but his pace really worried the opposition. I'd suggest he'll continue being our go-to sub at least for the first half of the season unless injuries allow him to push into the 21. The big tackle on Majak Daw was a highlight.

Alex Woodward - Came on as sub and did what was expected of him but the reality is he remains about the 26th/27th best player at the club and I think his opportunities will be limited.

Jono O'Rourke - Couldn't have asked for more in his first game. Ran well, hit targets (81% efficiency), kicked two goals and almost had three. He should make his debut in the first six weeks of the season and might even be a shock Round 1 inclusion.

Dan Howe - Very low numbers and I didn't notice him much but he was clean with the ball when he had it. Had his hands full with some of the North forwards and wasn't able to rebound much.

Pittonet - Once again saw little action and it's hard to make any judgement on him.

Sicily - Disappointingly left out of the side and it suggests he's not in the Hawks' immediate plans.

Tim O'Brien - Where in the world is Tim O'Brien?? I couldn't find any information about him being injured but I can only presume that's the case. He signed a contract extension last year and really needs a good season to prove his worth.

Teia Miles - It was a shame not to see him get another game after last week's good performance. Hopefully this time next year I'll be raving about him.

Scrads

I think our Round 1 side is the same as our GF side with Frawley in for Spangher. And depending on form and whatever, perhaps Ceglar comes in for Hale.

The only real chance Anderson, Hartung, JOR and the likes have of getting a game would be if Birchall isn't fit yet, and they play as the sub with Duryea going back into Birch's spot (aside from additional injuries from here which touch-wood stay far far away!).

FB: Gibson Lake Stratton
HB: Burgoyne Frawley Birchall
M: Hill Hodge Smith
HF: Breust Roughead Rioli
FF: Hale Gunston Puopolo
R:McEvoy Lewis Mitchell
I:Shiels, Suckling, Langford, Duryea

Lurking tier 1: Anderson, Hartung, O'Rourke, Woodward, Ceglar, Spangher

Lurking tier 2: Schoey, Whitecross, Litherland, Simpkin, TOB

Mr.Craig

We need to field 2 teams.

Ricochet

Quote from: Mr.Craig on March 11, 2015, 12:19:32 PM
haha arrogance

You boys do look ridiculously strong again

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Ricochet on March 11, 2015, 12:33:25 PM
haha arrogance

Reality!

We can't afford too many more Hallahan and Lowden situations.

Ricochet

Quote from: Mr.Craig on March 11, 2015, 12:44:28 PM
Quote from: Ricochet on March 11, 2015, 12:33:25 PM
haha arrogance

Reality!

We can't afford too many more Hallahan and Lowden situations.
It's a nice problem to have. I reckon a few young boys will see that Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Lake and co are nearly done in the next year or two and that would keep most of them at the club

LF

Yeah you should be alright if once those older guys retire.
Agree with Rico the young ones can see that lot of players is nearly done.
Look what happened with West Coast and Mitch Brown,he wanted to leave but they managed to convince him to stay and that is was just a matter of time before he would be playing every week and now Mitch says he is glad he stayed.

Mr.Craig

Looking ahead to 2017/18 when all the 30+ guys are retired...

B: Duryea, Frawley, Litherland
HB: Birchall, Stratton, Suckling
M: Hill, Lewis, Smith
HF: Anderson, Roughead, Breust
F: Rioli, Gunston, Hartung

RUC: McEvoy, Langford, Shiels

INT: O'Rourke, Whitecross, Sicily, Ceglar

Obviously that won't be the exact line up, players come and go and we'll need another quality back presuming Shoey and Brand don't cut it. An inside mid will also be imperative.

Scrads

Quote from: Mr.Craig on March 11, 2015, 06:02:00 PM
Looking ahead to 2017/18 when all the 30+ guys are retired...

B: Duryea, Frawley, Litherland
HB: Birchall, Stratton, Suckling
M: Hill, Lewis, Smith
HF: Anderson, Roughead, Breust
F: Rioli, Gunston, Hartung

RUC: McEvoy, Langford, Shiels

INT: O'Rourke, Whitecross, Sicily, Ceglar

Obviously that won't be the exact line up, players come and go and we'll need another quality back presuming Shoey and Brand don't cut it. An inside mid will also be imperative.

Woody? :)

tbagrocks

WhiteX playing today for Box Hill today ;D  Just needs to force his way into that darn 22 now! Drop the #19 for him :P

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-03-13/whitecross-to-make-return-via-vfl