Rules discussion thread

Started by PowerBug, February 12, 2015, 03:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

This thread will be used to discuss the various aspects of the game that can be improved upon or introduced. I will unlock this thread after the completion of the 2014/15 Shield Season, and it can be added to throughout the off-season.

One bonus that this game has got, is that we are getting a taste of the game before it actually starts, so improvements can be made before Season 1 (2015/16)

Points that require discussion:
- Money, handing out money, winning money, spending money
- Future auctions for full-time contact players (4-Day, 1-Day, T20)
- Free agency
- Rules of future auctions (For example the bidding range business doesn't seem worth it after seeing it in action)
- Compensation payment for de-listing players or retiring players
- Rules on how (or if) trading will occur. Or whether you can offer to buy players from other clubs for money. (Will have to have a limit on list movements, am not allowing teams to change their entire squads between seasons)
- How to keep activity through winter.

Things Admin (me) need to do before Season 1:
- A complete rules thread (Consisting of team selection, bidding, points, FAQ etc.. like what the XVs have)
- Fixtures for all three comps
- List of full time free agents
- List of T20-only players (this list may overlap if a full time player has no state, e.g. An unsold Johan Botha can be picked up for the T20 comp only)
- Be a better admin than ossie, Holz, Ringo, BB67th combined. :P

But for now, don't worry about this thread, it's here so I don't forget anything. If you do see something that can be added to the list, just PM me. Thanks :)

PowerBug

So seeing as the draft is dwindling down, I thought I would open this.

Now there's a heap of points that need discussion, some of them overlap. Firstly, let me explain my view on how I see this running:

Everyone owns their 'core' group of players, they are the ones you are drafting now, you can use them in all competitions.
Everyone gets a starting amount of cash next season, and that can be used for extra full time players, and T20 only players.
You will get more money by winning matches (and overall trophies), and by delisting players. (values for these to be decided).

But first point, the auction we just had. What was good, what was bad?

My thoughts whilst running it were the range was pointless, and people were just bidding 1-5k above the highest. If the actual bid was released, but some kind of next highest bid so that we aren't spending 5 months watching a player go from $10k to $500k in $1k increments.

Every team that bid each round has put together a solid squad so I don't think the quality distribution is terrible. Some interesting prices, but each to their own. At least everyone has the option to buy everyone, unlike a draft, where you are forced into a strategy basically.

Anyway, your discussion. Go.

BratPack

I would say in terms of the Auction, do something similar to the IPL, where the auctioneer takes 10k bids up to 500k then increases to 25k and if it goes past a million it goes to 100k bids, when the leading bid is posted. you can bid what you want but the minimum increase HAS to be that much, so you post for example something like this

G. Maxwell - Leading Bid: 600k. Minimum to take lead: 625k.

Then if the player who holds the bid is simply bidding the minimum to hold, he stays open if there was an equal bid, or he gets sold for the new bid if there isn't

Other than that, what I would do is again similar to the old IPL way, if a player hasn't played a match for his state/BBL Team yet, he isn't eligible for the auction, they get put into a draft after the Auction is over with a price attached (IE: No free transfers, minimum 10k) and anyone with money left enters with draft order reverse to standings if they desire to take a "top up" player or wait till the T20 squads come out. That way only the major players are bidded on.

PowerBug

Anyone else got something to say about the auction and improvements for next time?

nrich102

I agree that we don't need to put in the bid range, maybe say we just need to beat it by so much, say 10k. Or we could put a % figure on it, but idk what it would be.

PowerBug

Quote from: nrich102 on February 24, 2015, 06:09:44 PM
I agree that we don't need to put in the bid range, maybe say we just need to beat it by so much, say 10k. Or we could put a % figure on it, but idk what it would be.
A % would start getting too complicated I feel. What if it was something like this:
For leading bids that are:
$0 - $100k: Next bid must be at least $1k higher
$101k - $200k: Next bid must be at least $5k higher

And you see where this is heading. Basically it makes everyone aware, the bids won't go up so slowly it takes months (those numbers above might need tweaking) and everyone is aware on exactly what the lead bid is.

PowerBug

Ok, time for something that will get discussion.

Trading.

Do we have any? How will it be monitored? How many movements?

nrich102

I think we should have trading. I think we should be able to bring up to 5 players into out team through trading/transfers for the main team, plus another 1 or 2 that are for the Big Bash comp only.

I think that you should have the final say on if a trade goes through PB.

R.Griffen

Limit the movements, I don't think it has to be 1-1 but no less than a certain number in a squad. Set a min and a max team list stay within that

PowerBug

Quote from: nrich102 on March 01, 2015, 11:06:58 PM
I think we should have trading. I think we should be able to bring up to 5 players into out team through trading/transfers for the main team, plus another 1 or 2 that are for the Big Bash comp only.

I think that you should have the final say on if a trade goes through PB.
Players acquired for the BigBash only are only one year commitments. So there won't be any trading of those players.

Seeing as we are dealing in money here, perhaps buying of players could be introduced somehow as well? So instead of offering player for player, offer player for money. Just a thought.

nrich102

Maybe we could use both? Think we should use money as the main way for transfers, but I can see both working.

PowerBug

Home Ground Advantage
There are three different competitions to worry about here, so each should have their own little rules. In line with the Domestic cricket season, I propose that:

• One Day Cup will have NO home ground advantage, as the actual competition runs in one state with minimal following.
  • The First Class Competition will have an element of HGA in line with the Sheffield Shield
  • The Big Bash will have a larger amount of HGA applied compared to the Shield as the crowd plays a much bigger factor

nrich102

Quote from: PowerBug on July 27, 2015, 07:03:17 PM
Home Ground Advantage
There are three different competitions to worry about here, so each should have their own little rules. In line with the Domestic cricket season, I propose that:

• One Day Cup will have NO home ground advantage, as the actual competition runs in one state with minimal following.
  • The First Class Competition will have an element of HGA in line with the Sheffield Shield
  • The Big Bash will have a larger amount of HGA applied compared to the Shield as the crowd plays a much bigger factor
I think this is a good way to go. Would be quite similar to real life.

Scrads

Quote from: PowerBug on July 27, 2015, 07:03:17 PM
Home Ground Advantage

All good from my end here :)

PowerBug

The rules thread is up and almost completely, but all points are still up for discussion. Below are some of the key points I wish to highlight:

9 Home Ground Advantage
9.1 First Class Shield
- The Sheffield Shield is generally a quieter competition. Because of this the only HGA applied will be in the finals.
- For the 7 rounds of the Home and Away season, no HGA will be applied.
- For the first two weeks of finals, a 20 point bonus will be applied to each home side.
- For the final of the Shield, the home side will be awarded a 40 point head start.

9.3 T20 Comp
- The home crowd in T20 plays a much bigger part compared to the other two comps. Each franchise will receive HGA, however the scale of the HGA will vary.
- When the T20 Comp begins, 5 rounds of the First Class Shield and the entire OneDay Cup will have been played. The positions everyone is in for these two comps will decide how much HGA is dished out for Round 1
- The following HGA points will be awarded for each position in the two comps: 1st - 20, 2nd - 16, 3rd - 12, 4th - 10, 5th - 8, 6th - 6, 7th - 4, 8th - 2
- Then following on if a franchise is to win a match, they will earn themselves 6 HGA points, if they lose then they will lose 4 points.
- The maximum amount of HGA available is 50 points
- The minimum amount of HGA available is 0 points
- There will be no HGA in the final/Super 4s

The Shield HGA might seem a little unfair at first, but this stops the possibility of an unfair draw of which 4 teams will get 4 home matches, and 4 teams will only get 3 home matches. A new fixture proposal is heading towards the board for the T20 competition which means that the HGA won't be uneven for that comp.

10.2 Player Finances
- When a franchise de-lists a player they (the franchise) are eligible to receive compensation payments. The money handed out for compo payments will be as follows:

• If a player did not feature in more than 2 matches* for a franchise over the course of the season there will be no compensation
  • The player featured between 3 and 6 matches* then the franchise will receive $10,000
  • If a player played 7 or more matches* for the club then the franchise will receive $20,000
  • If a player featured regularly as a captain or vice captain (At the discretion of Admin) then the franchise will receive $40,000
*Minor Round matches only
- Players will also demand cash from the franchise if they are playing and playing well.

• Players that score over 100 points in any Minor Round game will be paid $2,000 from their franchise (This is doubled for Major Round games)
  • Players that play 5 games for the club (Any format, Major and Minor Round matches) will receive $2,000 upon selection of their 5th game.
- How much money a player earns is not recorded.

I figured I better explain 10.2. There needs to be some kind of effort made to stop the rich dominate teams getting too rich. The really clever manager will be able to find loopholes, build up a huge bank balance, and basically control the comp for eternity. The payments made to players that play well is an attempt to slightly halt the high increase of money.

The first part of 10.2 is mainly concerned with what happens when teams go bankrupt, as there's no way teams would choose to de-list their captain of the previous season by choice. If a player retires then they also eligible to the compo payments.

Do people feel this is getting too complicated? I will have excel spreadsheets covering all the finances so it's not something individual teams need to worry about.