Hawka

Were in Deep Trouble
Roughy gone for the yr  :'(
it was bad enough with 2 tall fellas down in gilham and stratts
But now our our 2nd ruck and 2nd forward is down
Meaning that we may have to drop a small so we can bring in 2 talls

We cant afford Bailey and renouf in the same team
but i think we can afford bailey or renouf and hale
or do we go in with 2 of bailey,renouf and hale and 1 of Lisle or Milne(194cm kpp defender but who has played a fair bit forward for boxhill this yr)

thoughts?

Toast

I think that you gotta go with Hale. We picked him up for this purpose so now he has to repay the faith. I must admit I'm not that confident that he can, but unless Lisle or Milne can ruck we don't have a choice.

You are spot on about not being able to play Bailey and Renouf in the same team. It just makes us too slow.

Rusty00

Definitely agree with the above.

Hale was recruited because he can play ruck and forward. He has to step up and play the role Rough has been playing the last 4-5 weeks.

Toast

Interesting bit o news, hale didn't play today and lisle spent some time pinch hitting in the ruck. Might mean nothing but it's some food for thought

hawk_88

Lisle has always done a bit of pinch hitting but isn't a season long option in the ruck, even as a 30% second ruck spending the rest of the time forward. I don't think Milne is quite there for us yet.

The solution is an interesting one. No one player can offer what Roughy did. Hale comes the closest but he doesn't have the defencive aspect, nor is he as good around the ground.

It is going to have to be a bit of a change in team structure.

When Bruce is fit he will come back into the side as a permanent forward. Before this I wouldn't have put him in our 22 but as a permanent forward, where there previously wasn't space, he has had experience that no one else on our list has had. I think this is the major certainty.

Hale has to come back into the side. It will be Hale and one of Bailey/Renouf. Bailey would be my preference however they will be managing his injuries so Renouf will have to play a few as well.

Lisle is a good chance too. Doesn't have the tank to play CHF or spend too long in the ruck, however playing as a third tall with Hale and Buddy this could work.

Will be a larger focus on having midfielders spend time up forward. Buddy is going to get extra attention so midfielders are going to have to play dedicated defensive roles up forward and hopefully kick a few as well. Expect Hodge, Lewis and Burgoyne to rotate through over the weeks as history tells us that you can't leave a midfielder in this position too long or they lose their edge.

Our team dynamic and structure will change. It may take a few weeks for us to get the set up right. I think he bat deep enough to account for the personal losses with he right structure. Young, Bateman and Ellis to come back from injury, Ladson and Smith waiting in the wings as well so I think we can account for the loss of midfield talent up forward.

MajorLazer

Renouf has been in hospital for the past couple of days because of an accidental knee to the stomach from J-Pod in a rucking contest.

Done something to his liver. I think they said he will definitely miss next week.

hawk_88

Bailey isn't a certainty and Hale apparently isn't ready either despite playing for Box Hill for two weeks.

Where is Wade Skipper when you need him... oh that's right, we de-listed him, like an idiot.

Hawka

we are only play GC
can we afford to play either lowden or grimley?

hawk_88

If Hale is fit enough, even a little under done, we should probably play him to get him ready.

Lowden is probably ahead of Grimley at the moment. I guess if we have to we will.