Main Menu

McCarthy granted indefinite leave

Started by LF, January 29, 2016, 02:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

Quote from: tbagrocks on January 29, 2016, 06:57:52 PM
It's their own fault! If the Giants had recruited better in the first place instead of hoarding draft picks, they would have a better culture and the young guys might have wanted to stick around!

Told you all that would happen!

Oh yeah, so when players leave the crows they're mummas boys, sooks and wimps, but any other club it's a culture issue.

Step off you hypocritical flog.

For the record, I think the poor guy probably is seriously anxious or stressed for being homesick- homesickness isn't a mental illness, but if you're getting severe anxiety or depression from it...

Hopefully he'll get well and end up playing for us again.

If not

Quote from: Mr.Craig on January 29, 2016, 07:27:55 PM
Could have got something decent for him and now they will likely get squat.

pretty sure all freo were offering was their first round pick (which was like pick 20) and a showerty fringe player? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's all it was I'm glad we didn't keel over and instead tried to fix mccarthy's issues.

nrich102

Quote from: Ziplock on January 30, 2016, 07:48:13 PM

pretty sure all freo were offering was their first round pick (which was like pick 20) and a showerty fringe player? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's all it was I'm glad we didn't keel over and instead tried to fix mccarthy's issues.
I think it might of even been there second round pick, cause they wanted Harley, yeah?

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Ziplock on January 30, 2016, 07:48:13 PM

The offer was Pick 22 and a 2016 first round pick. I know Freo really wanted to fill that hole in their forward line but that's massive overs for a guy who had only played half a dozen decent games.

In the end Freo used 22 to get Bennell and they may end up getting McCarthy for this years first rounder or less, presuming he sorts out his issues and they still want him (and GWS are willing to break the contract).

GWS had a "When keeping it real goes wrong" moment. Totally understandable that they wanted to hold on to their investment but at the same time I don't think many of us are surprised that it's turned out the way it has.

Hopefully it all works out for him.

Bill Manspeaker

the deal could have been something like

Freo lose Weller, gain McCarthy
Saints lose pick 5, gain Weller
GWS lose McCarthy, gain pick 5

and probably other little bits n shower

that's what the Saints were pushing for I'm pretty sure

Ricochet

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on January 31, 2016, 01:58:50 AM

Weller isn't going anywhere

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: Ricochet on January 31, 2016, 02:37:33 AM

dunno man, bloke on Bigfooty (I know I know) who has a very good strike rate on these things reckons the only thing stopping the deal was GWS

Weller's signed though I guess so that ends that. until he's out of contract again :P

Ricochet

Quote from: Bill Manspeaker on January 31, 2016, 02:48:27 AM
Quote from: Ricochet on January 31, 2016, 02:37:33 AM

dunno man, bloke on Bigfooty (I know I know) who has a very good strike rate on these things reckons the only thing stopping the deal was GWS

Weller's signed though I guess so that ends that. until he's out of contract again :P
come talk to me at the end of 2018 then :P
He'll have a brownlow by then ;)

LF

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/gws/homesick-cam-mccarthy-could-become-a-delisted-free-agent-if-gws-agrees-to-sever-contract/news-story/69c6fb58c2bc6933b192659e78852fc6

FREMANTLE could potentially pick up trade target Cam McCarthy as a delisted free agent for nothing ahead of the 2017 season.

McCarthy’s uncertain future is likely to become clearer by the end of this week after a series of meetings between the AFL, AFL Players Association, Greater Western Sydney and McCarthy’s management.

McCarthy, a WA product who has battled homesickness at the Giants, was granted indefinite leave from the club after the crisis came to a head this week.

The 20-year-old appears unlikely to attend any meetings over his future in person.

McCarthy’s management is expected to push for the youngster to be delisted by the Giants and his contract â€" which has two more seasons to run â€" severed.

The AFL would then need to determine by what means McCarthy could re-enter the competition in 2017, with the prospect he would be considered a delisted free agent.

Ringo

GWS would surely be seeking some compo from the AFL though if they were to go down this path and make him a free agent. 

Ziplock

Nah, screw that- put him through the trade system- if he wants to sever his contract, then if freo are being wanks he can try his luck at the PSD.

Holz

Quote from: Ringo on January 31, 2016, 03:24:52 PM
GWS would surely be seeking some compo from the AFL though if they were to go down this path and make him a free agent.

possibly but they are getting enough compo with this academy rubbish.

Kennedy and Hooper is just unfair.

they cant stock pile all the talent. They have too many good young players.

Mr.Craig

You make it sound like they are holding on to all their talent.

Tyson, Treloar, Adams, O'Rourke, Jaksch, Frost, Plowman, Sumner, Townsend, Miles, Boyd, Edwards, Darley, Hampton, Lamb, Phillips, Bugg....

Barra13

Ziplock

Quote from: Holz on February 01, 2016, 11:07:34 AM
Quote from: Ringo on January 31, 2016, 03:24:52 PM

possibly but they are getting enough compo with this academy rubbish.

Kennedy and Hooper is just unfair.

they cant stock pile all the talent. They have too many good young players.

haha, we don't have FS, so I think academy players are fair enough considering the development the clubs have to put into them.

Quote from: Mr.Craig on February 01, 2016, 03:52:13 PM
You make it sound like they are holding on to all their talent.

Tyson, Treloar, Adams, O'Rourke, Jaksch, Frost, Plowman, Sumner, Townsend, Miles, Boyd, Edwards, Darley, Hampton, Lamb, Phillips, Bugg....

GWS recruited knowing they'd lose a shower ton of talent. Obviously some of those are better than others- but Tyson, Treloar, Adams and Miles... that's basically a beast inside midfield right there (albeit, pretty sure Miles was forced out).  To be fair, they did play for star players like pendles etc. with ridiculously good pick packages, but it never happened.

Quote from: Barra13 on February 01, 2016, 08:53:13 PM

Eh, scoops like this can come from one disgruntled player tbh. Like, it's entirely probable and tbh, if he was battling with homesickness that badly, quite probable. But w.e, I still feel bad for him tbh.

Rusty00

So if GWS had agreed to trade McCarthy to Freo and the end of last season they would currently be looking at Pick 1 in this year's draft along with Pick 5 (Treloar trade), Pick 7 (Carlton trade) and Pick 14 (own pick).

I think TBags head would've exploded if that had happened :P