Main Menu

Adelaide 2016 Season Megathread

Started by TomK, February 23, 2016, 09:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbagrocks

I am a little curious at Cheney getting the R1 nod, didn't really expect that so maybe Lever has to play on big Ben Brown? Not overly comfortable with Cheney on him anyway, unless Talia plays on Brown and Cheney on Petrie? Lever or Cheney will be ok against Waite so let's hope now it's not Brown one-out v Cheney in the goal square!

Also they are going in a little size heavy up forward with four talls named. Guess JJ will do a little rucking but CEY and Lyons missing for McGovern is very interesting indeed!

Of course I would've shoved JJ at CHB at the start of last season :P

Money Shot

Is Luke Brown a key defender, medium defender or the running half back type.

Hagebear

Would definitely keep JJ up forward. Starting to have a bit of a presence about him. Just not sure where the Govenor fits into out structure with Tex, JJ and Tommy Lynch.

TomK

Quote from: tbagrocks on March 25, 2016, 10:19:11 PM
I am a little curious at Cheney getting the R1 nod, didn't really expect that so maybe Lever has to play on big Ben Brown? Not overly comfortable with Cheney on him anyway, unless Talia plays on Brown and Cheney on Petrie? Lever or Cheney will be ok against Waite so let's hope now it's not Brown one-out v Cheney in the goal square!

Also they are going in a little size heavy up forward with four talls named. Guess JJ will do a little rucking but CEY and Lyons missing for McGovern is very interesting indeed!

Of course I would've shoved JJ at CHB at the start of last season :P
I think it's absolutely ridiculous Hartigan isn't playing, watch one of their key forwards kick 5. I don't understand why McGovern is playing either, surely he should only be back up for Lynch/Tex at his size. Not happy with the team at all.

Also why send a 40 goal a year key forward down back? ???

Quote from: Money Shot on March 25, 2016, 10:32:49 PM
Is Luke Brown a key defender, medium defender or the running half back type.
Small lockdown defender, looking to add more rebound in the coming years though. Very underrated and rarely beaten.

TomK

Even though we only made one change, the team looks a lot better. Unfortunately VB looks finished, was slow and fumbly and we have too many young guys demanding games to give him a free ride much longer. Hartigan should have played last week, Lever is still too young to be taking the big forwards, hopefully it stays like this. Cheney will play the role VB was meant to but probably a lot better.

Knight and Cameron have one more week in the SANFL to gain more fitness then they're straight in, probably for two of Mackay/McGovern/Milera with Menzel also knocking on the door. Once these guys come back, I'll be a lot more confident going into games.

Jay

Quote from: TomK on March 31, 2016, 10:51:23 PM
Even though we only made one change, the team looks a lot better. Unfortunately VB looks finished, was slow and fumbly and we have too many young guys demanding games to give him a free ride much longer. Hartigan should have played last week, Lever is still too young to be taking the big forwards, hopefully it stays like this. Cheney will play the role VB was meant to but probably a lot better.

Knight and Cameron have one more week in the SANFL to gain more fitness then they're straight in, probably for two of Mackay/McGovern/Milera with Menzel also knocking on the door. Once these guys come back, I'll be a lot more confident going into games.
I love NVB as a bloke and he's a fantastic club man, but he cannot function at AFL level anymore and I'm relieved we've made the move.

Bring on the Showdown.

PowerBug

Talia -> Dixon
Hartigan -> Schulz
Cheney -> Westhoff
?

At the other end Hombsch played on Walker last time (3.2) but we didn't have Carlile that game so expect Trengove to follow Walker and Carlile to sit on Jenkins like the first match last year.

Should be good one on Saturday, both teams have the same ruckman too which is surprising (Sam Jacobs) ;)

TomK

Talia - Dixon
Hartigan - Howard
Lever - Westhoff

I reckon that's the set up they'll use with Cheney being on who ever and drifting off trying to intercept Dixon or even double teaming him.

PowerBug

Lever vs Westhoff will be fun. The battle of the lanky lads

Hagebear

Didn't expect that result. Our forward line is starting to look a treat. Also didn't expect Milera to have the impact he has. Has pretty much overtaken Cameron straight away. Can see the Govener ending up at CHB a bit like his brother.

tbagrocks

Quote from: Hagebear on April 06, 2016, 04:45:21 AM
Didn't expect that result. Our forward line is starting to look a treat. Also didn't expect Milera to have the impact he has. Has pretty much overtaken Cameron straight away. Can see the Govener ending up at CHB a bit like his brother.
I like the look of the shorter but carbon copy of big brother Mitch as the third tall option, or is that the fourth :P  But having that extra forward option, given Lynchy plays high up the ground anyway, really dangerous player when the opp focuses on Tex and JJ (When will we offer JJ a good enough deal for him to re-sign?)

The backline with Lever, Talia, Hendo not back yet, Cheney solid, Hartigan solid and Sam Shaw handy backup and also really quick for a 6"4. Really like the backline and the depth, would like to see McLovin Junior stay forward ;)

But what most pleases me and also a little concerning given Port's 70 inside 50s :o  Is that losing the inbred to Geelong hasn't affected us, yet! The midfield is almost become bystanders, with Laird, Seedsman, Smith, Lever, Brown and co, delivering the ball straight down to Eddie, Tex and co.

Whilst the midfielders numbers are down, they aren't even in the best players whilst the crows pile on goals :o  Run and carry from  defence straight into attack where Eddie and JJ have been devastating running into space!

How long can this style last? Let's wait till Saturday first, then we have the cheats from Hawthorn the following week! GET READY ........

powersuperkents

I'm really liking the look of Jenkins this season (injury kept him from getting 50 goals last season, but he should be capable of getting anywhere between 50-75 this season if everything goes right). From both Crows games he looks as though he's taken his game to another level and could be an elite forward this season.

Do Crows supporters see him maintaining this role as the dominate goalkicking tall this season? (it seems as though Tex is pushing up the ground and Jenkins has become the no. 1 target in the forward 50). He scores buckets (against North, Port, & was the only forward that went big against Hawthorn in the Elimination Final) and doesn't need to rely on being a flat track bullying (has a strong work ethic as well which is always makes a significant difference).

Basically, would you consider him as a POD in fantasy formats?  :)

tbagrocks

I think it's his size and strength that has stood him out. Back in 2012 when the crows lost to Sydney in a final, JJ kicked 8 goals for Sturt that week! Crows beat Freo the next week and lost to someone in the Prelim

But some of those goals for Sturt, JJ ran and bounced the ball and kicked long from outside 50, has always had raw talent but again, his engine, maybe not unlike Geelongs Blitzcavs in athleticism although not at that elite level, makes him a really hard matchup

It almost seems like JJ is the No 1. focal point at full forward and leading out but also runjing back into space. But it makes sense, who can actually guard Jenkins athletically and physically being 199 and over 100 kg? Tex might be the one who takes he bait and runs up field using all his football nous whilst leaving JJ as the deap forward target to provide a contest and bringing into play Eddie, Cameron, Milera and the likes

Probably hard to tell if JJ can keep up enough numbers regularly enough to be a unique as a fantasy option but given his Ruck stints, I can see him our performing his Swans counterpart Skurtly Tippett! Which would be a fine task for JJ this year!

But given his white hot form and unique physique, can actually see Jenkins become the 100 point scorer this year! However I don't think so personally. The penny has dropped and he is a star. Adelaide better re-sign him before the offers come from Carlton and the likes!

powersuperkents

Yeah I've noticed his athleticism and he has really taken to Pyke's gameplan - showing that he understands how to implement a gameplan (rare among most key forwards of that size).

He's a Victorian but I don't see him leaving the Crows - he seems like a player who values more than just money (esp. with the Crows giving him a second chance after Essendon passed on yet another promising player) and seems to be the team spokesman in media articles.

I have him in my legacy league and I've noticed his improved set shot accuracy and the ability to score in play so far this season (he used to only score in play from right in front but this year he's been able to hit targets from just about anywhere). I would be very happy with a +80ppg average from him (he's consistently improved his average each season so hopefully this season becomes a huge leap for him). It's good to hear that fans see a 80-100ppg range is possible because I've always rated him as a player but had concerns that he wouldn't be able to reach the heights he has shown so far this season (two consecutive games with +4 goals against Port & the Roos is very reassuring from him - continuing from his 4 goals against the Hawks last season).   

Grazz

Can we hurry up and give JJ exactly what is required to get pen to paper PLEASE.