WXV Trade Talk

Started by meow meow, July 13, 2015, 07:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Memphistopheles

I've said all along this trade period that given we have three good rucks we will likely trade one of Stefan Martin or Billy Longer if the price is right. The new Geelong best and fairest winner isn't going anywhere :p

We only want to trade one of them though so we will look at all the offers for Martin and Longer and weigh them up to determine what's best for our team. Ideally we were looking for a young gun (or future gun) midfielder at least in return though we are open to getting a future def/fwd premium instead.

For those of you considering making an offer for  Stefan Martin consider this:

• Martin was clearly the second highest scoring ruckman in the competition last season with a 110+ average
  • Martin was in the top 15 averaging SC players in the competition
  • Martin is a genuine captain option having scored 10 scores of 110 and above, 7 scores of 120 and above and 5 scores of 130 and above
  • If you don't trade in Martin he's likely to end up at one of your main rivals for the flag in the next couple of seasons
  • This is the second year in a row he's finished with a 110+ average

So don't say oh but he's on the older side or come to me with reasons why he's not the best option and trying to offer us a cheap deal. If you want to challenge for the flag in the next two seasons then trading in Martin would be one of the best things you can do. Not only will you get a 110 a best XV starter but, you will also stop your main rivals from acquiring him.

And, one final point on him. When I look down the list of the top 20 averaging SC players from last season I don't see a whole lot of players WXV clubs would be willing to trade. A couple of the older guys have moved already (Mundy/Montagna) but, out of the rest I'm not sure you'll find too many clubs willing to part with them. So this could be one of your only chances to pick up a genuine WXV gun.

With regards to Longer. Last year we gave up the following to acquire him. At the time McCarthy was a relative unknown so iwhat we gave up was close to Guthrie + Nat 9 for him (probably a bit less).

Trade 63
Cape Town give: Cameron Guthrie + NAT #9 + NAT #34
Pacific give: Billy Longer + Cameron McCarthy + NAT #59

So we're not trading him for less than that.

He's also had a slightly better year in 2015 where he established himself as the Saints #1, played 18 games and upped his averaged by a few points. He also produced two scores of 130 or higher this season compared with none in 2014.

Rucks are in demand so we will need a good offer to move these guys. We'd be happy to hold on to them if an offer we like doesn't eventuate.

But, if you are interested for either player send me your best offer and we'll consider it against the others.

RaisyDaisy

Although he's a spud anyway, he's our spud

Mike Pyke is set to retire after the B&F according to afl.com.au

Still has a year to run on his contract, but leaving early helps Sydney's chance of getting Luey

Flower. We might need to pay through the nose now to get a ruck although surely Tippett and Vardy get DPP to relieve us

meow meow

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 09, 2015, 11:30:28 AM
although surely Tippett and Vardy get DPP to relieve us

Certainties.

RaisyDaisy

Yeah I'd think so too

Pyke retiring helps us with our cap too lol

Holz

Memph just a side thing are you worried that Blicavs one day will be a mid only. He really isnt a ruck just a really really big midfielder. Thats why his scoring has been soo good.

Obviously will be a ruck next year but 16 a game isnt huge.

he actually averages more touches then hit outs already which is moving towards a mid.

given Zach Smith is probably moving to geelong he may turn into a pure mid if they play Smith as the starting ruck.

RaisyDaisy

Smith, Blitz, Vardy, Stanley, Simpson, Clark

They can't all be rucks!

Holz

If Daniel Currie moves then he should be on most if not all teams radars.

I have Goldy so im all set but Daneil Currie can play and entering his prime ruck age. If he goes GC could overtake Nicholls and be the number 1 ruck.

In his last game he scored a respectable 90. With 36 hitouts which is 14 more then Nicholls Average and not only that more than in every single game Nicholls played this year (15)

elephants

Quote from: Holz on October 09, 2015, 04:19:13 PM
In his last game he scored a respectable 90. With 36 hitouts which is 14 more then Nicholls Average and not only that more than in every single game Nicholls played this year (15)

Settle down with that sample size mate! :P

Ricochet

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 09, 2015, 04:09:52 PM

They can't all be rucks!
Well they can next year. After that though unlikely

Looking into it... Vardy and possibly Clark probably won't be next year.

Holz

Quote from: elephants on October 09, 2015, 04:20:19 PM
Quote from: Holz on October 09, 2015, 04:19:13 PM

Settle down with that sample size mate! :P

only had 1 game as a ruck and got more hitouts then Nicholls has in his career of 30 games.

RaisyDaisy

LOL keep pumping him up Holz :P

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Ricochet on October 09, 2015, 04:21:46 PM
Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 09, 2015, 04:09:52 PM

They can't all be rucks!
Well they can next year. After that though unlikely

Looking into it... Vardy and possibly Clark probably won't be next year.

Yeah I reckon Smith, Stanley and Simpson get ruck status. Blitz and Vardy pinch hit. They could be sneaky chances to get DPP but wouldn't surprise me if they don't

With Pyke retiring, we really need a ruck now  :'(

RaisyDaisy

Just looking at HO numbers

Vardy played 3 AFL games for 20, 12 and 10 HO so clearly just providing relief.

In reality, if they provide relief they really should have DPP

Memphistopheles

Quote from: Holz on October 09, 2015, 11:46:43 AM
Memph just a side thing are you worried that Blicavs one day will be a mid only. He really isnt a ruck just a really really big midfielder. Thats why his scoring has been soo good.

Obviously will be a ruck next year but 16 a game isnt huge.

he actually averages more touches then hit outs already which is moving towards a mid.

given Zach Smith is probably moving to geelong he may turn into a pure mid if they play Smith as the starting ruck.

I am a bit which is why we only want to trade one of those two rucks so we have the other in case he loses it next season (2017). I do think Wright will be ruc/fwd in a while (he probably loses it next year) in a similar role to what Charlie Dixon did when he showed his best scoring at GC.

And we also have Trent West who may see game time if Berger leaves and is a backup to Stef.

Holz

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on October 09, 2015, 04:31:23 PM
LOL keep pumping him up Holz :P

interesting thing is im pumping him up but I have zero plans on trading him (this year)

Im a currie fan, I think he deserves a go. Could use a solid starting ruck as a backup.

Plus i still have Daw.