XVs CL 2016 - Group Stage 1 (Rd 16) Dicussion thread

Started by PowerBug, July 05, 2016, 10:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Group H
Mexico City Suns 1393 defeated by Australia Ales 1632.72
Now that is a score! Jack Steven as captain goes 311.82 (All these scores are post-multiplier), 11 players passed 90 points which is brilliant back-up players to support the skipper. Mexico lost Ebert for 10 and Bartel was below par, but still put up a good score, it just wasn't enough against this team!

Group A
KL Crocodiles 1313.04 defeated by PNL Reindeers 1419
Is this the multiplier coming through in favour of Worlds teams again, or did the Crocs just have a bad one? Skipper Gary Ablett with only 126.82 hurts big time, meanwhile Priddis, Hodge, Zerrett all picked up 120s for the Reindeers who give us the first upset of the Champions League!

PowerBug

Group B
Winchester Werewolves 1483.13 defeated by Berlin Brewers 1557
Seems to be a trend so far, the first named teams are getting beaten (Note: I entered the KL vs PNL game the wrong way in my spreadsheet so on Excel KL were named first) Brewers with a heap of high scoring players, 9 centurions including Steven going 170 and Gawn going 282 as captain, even Daniel Talia scored 122! The Werewolves weren't bad, Priddis went 230 as C, Hodge, Cripps and Gray all going 125+ as well, but it just wasn't enough.

Sri Lanka Strikers 1479.78 defeated by Spanish Stallions 1650.95
Holy smoke! Would you look at that. I think Serbia do great, then Australia one up it, and now Spain the 26th ranked side of all teams have one upped them with a 1650 to upset the group favourites! Dangerfield 316.2, Miller 153, Wright 149 really helping the side along. The Strikers weren't without their own good scorers, the decision not to loophole in Kieren Jacks 138 was an interesting one, but it didn't cost them in the end. Stallions, too strong today.

PowerBug

Group C
English Lions 1556.51 defeated Bangladesh Bears 1145.93
Well, a non-event really here. The Lions had Steven captain who went 359.54. The one shining light for the Bears was Jack Grimes who scored 135.8. They lost their skipper Tom Liberatore who started so well. Even in this weak group, it'll be three games and goodbye from the Bears. The Lions though, off to a good start :)

Group F
Laos Elephants 1354.82 defeated by Iceland Polar Bears 1682.81
I genuinely don't believe it, I thought after the Ales score we were done and the highest score of the round had been achieved, then the Stallions went even bigger and that was definitely it, but nope, Iceland going bananas to eclipse that! 11 players tonned up, 7 players went 110+, and captain Zach Merrett picked up a very very impressive 286.72! Euros teams can't complain, that's 3 of the top 4 scores of those currently calculated! If someone goes bigger than this I will be very surprised and probably lose my shower.

PowerBug

Group G
UAE Tigers 1330.2 defeated by Swiss Storm 1421.11
A closeish game in the 2nd of the weak groups. The Storm put in a very consistent performance and the captain (Prestia) put in a stellar 273 to take the game away from the Tigers. UAE put some good scores in but very poor scores by Mundy, Rich, Gibson and Birchall hurt their chances in a tight game.

iZander

Purple 77

Yay Berlin!

My highest score of the year though :-/

Torpedo10

PowerBug

Quote from: Torpedo10 on July 11, 2016, 02:16:13 PM
Dave you legend!

Geez, we pushed Dublin this Week.
You've done a bit more than push them Torp :)

Group D
Dublin Destroyers 1264 defeated by Manchester Magic 1397.03
BAM, another one of the pre-tournament favourites will need to come from 0-1 to get out their group, Rory Sloane goes 299 (as C) which puts to bed my thought that the British teams were gonna cop it hard, a much bigger BXV score for Rory compared to his SC or DT this week. in BXV scoring only Weitering didn't ton up for the Magic, but the Destroyers also named him and Jacob scored for the Magic (44.62) than he did for the Destroyers (36). The team that gets in last minute due to a withdrawal causes a big upset!

Mongolian Lambs 1242.17 defeated by Belgian Bashers 1491.09
In what was expected to be a tough 3 way battle for the group stage, has turned into a 4 thanks to the Magic, which makes this first up win for the Bashers oh so important. The victory was lead by Matt Priddis (119.4), Sam Jacobs (136.54) and Lachie Neale (147.91). The Lambs had too  many passengers, McVeigh, Hunt, Roughead, Johnson, Cameron and Sicily didn't score above 60.

GoLions

If Torp had Crouch over Whitfield and Tippa over Weitering, could've pushed 1500 I think. He also had Ward, Gaff, and a few others score below par. Magic are definitely a wildcard that could do some real damage, midfield is insane.

PowerBug

Group A
Macedonian Wolves 1245.89 defeated by Bradford Badgers 1447.30
A lucky win for the Badgers against the team expected to finish bottom of Group A. Bradford lost Rischitelli for a donut and Liberatore for 61.5. The rest of the team held up though with Luke Shuey (129.4) and Doin Prestia (262.7, C) leading the way. For the Wolves only Stef Martin (113.8) and Sam Gibson (126.3) were able to ton up. They also had their injury worried with Brad Ebert (15.9) and Liam Shiels (43) getting injured.

Group C
Chrishchurch Saints 1336 defeated by Swansea Breakers 1358.69
Well well well, the defended champs go down in week 1, and I can only say they have shot themselves in the foot. With the manager still thinking it was 2015, the captaincy was put on Shaun McKernan who put up the expected 58 because he is a potato. Had Sam Mitchell (117), Matthew Boyd (140), Bryce Gibbs (92), Leigh Montagna (85), or even Connor Blakely (87) been chosen instead, the Saints would be 1-0. The breakers did well considering they played effectively a man down with Ebert only scoring 13.8, Daniel Rich (56.6) was also quiet but Lewis with 220 as captain and Talia going 124 helped them scrape over the line

PowerBug

Quote from: GoLions on July 11, 2016, 04:21:50 PM
If Torp had Crouch over Whitfield and Tippa over Weitering, could've pushed 1500 I think. He also had Ward, Gaff, and a few others score below par. Magic are definitely a wildcard that could do some real damage, midfield is insane.
Would've scored 1492 in that case. Certainly look like a decent team and they have a chance to get out the group (Who would've thought!)

meow meow

GoLions

Quote from: PowerBug on July 11, 2016, 04:25:27 PM
Group A
Macedonian Wolves 1245.89 defeated by Bradford Badgers 1447.30
A lucky win for the Badgers against the team expected to finish bottom of Group A. Bradford lost Rischitelli for a donut and Liberatore for 61.5. The rest of the team held up though with Luke Shuey (129.4) and Doin Prestia (262.7, C) leading the way. For the Wolves only Stef Martin (113.8) and Sam Gibson (126.3) were able to ton up. They also had their injury worried with Brad Ebert (15.9) and Liam Shiels (43) getting injured.
Pfft, hardly a lucky win! Top scored Group A with a Riska 0, and only half of Libba (injured in the 2nd quarter iirc). Team should be a bit stronger this week!

PowerBug

Group E
Hastings Hurricanes 1591.22 defeated New York Revolution 1344
The Hurricanes break the trend, a team named first gets a victory! Joel Selwood (241.3), Nathan Jones (126.3), Rory Laird (131.3) all had big games for Hastings. New York tried, Lewis and Duncan combining for 309 as co-captains, and Tom McDonald had a nig game with 144, but it wasn't enough. Hastings like Serbia, look the goods so far.

Group F
Huddersfield Hawks 1456.73 defeated Pacific Islanders 1329.5
Hawks too strong, Mitchell goes 252.6 as captain, Grimes, Broadbent, Sidebottom all passed 115. The Islanders besides their co-captains who scored 210 and 181.5, they had no help, with 6 players going under 60 one of those being a Rischitelli doughnut.

Purple 77

Been a very strange round  :o

Can't believe my Worlds Teams have been losing :( I suppose me and PNL have to hold the baton in the meantime  8)