multibye midfield headaches

Started by oc16, November 07, 2013, 05:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc16

With this seasons multibyes starting in round 8, it will be more important than ever to start with a team that is to some extent structured around the multi byes. Round 8 will prove a challenge for everyone with popular premium midfielders like; Swan, Pendles, Beams, J. Selwood, Ablett, S. Johnson, Dangerfield and Cotchin all having the round 8 bye. plus popular draftees like jack martin and luke mcdonald.

With this in mind, how many do u think u will start with? will u be going with the collingwood trifecta? how many is too many? can u find space in ur team for the highest averaging 2013 dt player (stevie j) (considering he will most likely be a pure mid)? will this mean that players like dangerfield and cotchin will be a bit more unique, as people wont have room for them in their teams since they will already have too many round 8 bye players?

let me know ur thoughts in the comments -
cheers

Sweetness

I'll look to start 2 of the Trifecta/Ablett and will be (hopefully) in a position to upgrade to the other ones come round 9 and 10.

tbagrocks

Wow, nice catch man! Will have people pulling hair all summer!

Peter

Everyone in same position, so makes for an interesting research challenge as we get closer to the bye rounds

Spinking

Quote from: Majestic on January 04, 2014, 11:08:52 PM
46 trades from round 1 side to the byes begin so something that i wont really be worrying too much about.

This is true to an extent, but with so many trades plus the opportunity to redo your team at the end of round 1 will mean a heap of very similar teams. The byes and your strategy for them are really the only opportunity for good coaches to get an advantage over the pack.  Inexperienced coaches who haven't thought through this will likely end up with a number of 0s come the bye rounds.

Mr.Craig

Quote from: Spinking on January 05, 2014, 12:26:38 PM
This is true to an extent, but with so many trades plus the opportunity to redo your team at the end of round 1 will mean a heap of very similar teams.

I mentioned this at the start of last season and I think it's worth repeating. With so many trades the chances of getting it right are increased but paradoxically so are the opportunities to get it wrong. There were numerous times throughout the season where I could see the most popular trades using Assistant Coach but didn't believe they were the right way to go and went with someone else to try and get an advantage. While we all fear our surper dooper Round 1 unique will kill it and everyone will jump on there is also the likelihood they won't do that well and if you stick by them could end up having an even bigger advantage. Also, if some average player goes big Round 1 lots of coaches could get sucked in, only to see that player return to a 60 average.

There are further opportunities to fix those issues but you need to make wise decisions with the whole list in order to have the funds available and make luxury sideways trades. Even late in the season I was still finding most opponents had 6 or 7 uniques and sometimes as high as 14/15, despite both of us having relatively high rankings. I guess what I'm saying is there is more than one way to skin a cat, those who are successful and make it to the top 1% will have a multitude of varying strategies and trade philosophies which will continue to make the competition interesting.

IanB

In the other games I see it as more of as more of a problem. In this game I see it as more of a harvest time - take the profits and build my "real" team from there

We seem to have so many underpriced players this year, be it recovery from injury transfer or "adult entry", and I see them as cash cows for the taking.  eg I plan to star with HMac and Sandi (provided they don't injured in preseason) and I don't expect I'll still have both of them (or even one of them) by the MBRs.

Any thoughts?