Revised Strategy for upcoming weeks

Started by Scrads, May 05, 2013, 04:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrads

Would it be a good idea to start stockpiling cash for when Cotchin, Watson, Stanton, Franklin, Birchall etc bottom out and we can upgrade to them (hopefully) cheaply?

PowerBug

It certainly makes sense. It's obviously each to their own, but in general. Some question that need answers:

Would will be the players traded out?
Three options here, the injured, the out of form, the rookies.
Jack Grimes: LTI, he has to go. So if the plan here is save cash for Birchall and Gibbs, then the obvious choice here is to go right down to Laird/Docherty/Vlastuin. They'll give you cash and be a good D7/8 prospect while giving you cash. Then you upgrade Stevenson/Terlich in a couple and get the premium that's bottomed out.
Sammy Dwyer: Are there any fwd Rooks on the bubble this week? Certainly none that have been scoring exceptionally well. Maybe if you've already downgraded once (e.g. the above Grimes situation) then turn him to Dale Thomas who's bottomed out
Oliver Wines: This guy now has a BE which equals his scoring over the last couple of weeks, and looks to be done after this week. Brad Crouch, Jesse Longeran are the clear choices here on who to get in.

Who will be the premiums traded in in 2 weeks?
Watson/Stanton/Cotchin: All will be gun options in a couple of weeks, all bottomed out and ready to fly up again.
Franklin: This is the interesting one. Goaless twice in a row, and poor scores twice in a row. Could he be having a Travis Cloke like season, where the contract talks are hindering him? I think so, and that's why i didn't start eith him. In reality though, he surely won't go goaless again, and has GWS, GC, Melbourne in the 3 weeks before his bye. Get him in
Priddis: Much like last year, he'll be ready to go soon, a week before the big guns though. Bottoms out after next weeks match, and scoring well.

What net cash would be needed for the upgrades needed?
First thing to decide is who get's upgraded.
Turning Jones or JOM up, that'd cost about 120k.
Stevenson and Terlich look like stopping at around 250k, so that would require 200k.
Neade and Macaffer will make it to $250k. A bottomed out Buddy is $450k, maybe lower. say $200k to be on the safe side.

What would the predicted (self predicted, not the DT site's predictions) total points lost be over the 1-2 weeks?
A couple of examples:
Grimes --> Rookie instead of Premium. Will cost you about 50 poitns a week, going on a back rookie scoring 50, and a premium scoring 100.
Wines --> Rookie instead of Priddis. Most would have a Jones/Evans on the bench, both capable of scoring 70s. so not many points lost here.
Dwyer --> Rookie over Thomas/SJ. Alot, none of the fwd rookies are scoring well. Upgrade in the fwd line, no value in going down.

I'll edit this post slowly and answer all of them. :)
P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread Scrads. :(

Andrew

Quote from: Scrads on May 05, 2013, 04:26:41 PM
Would it be a good idea to start stockpiling cash for when Cotchin, Watson, Stanton, Franklin, Birchall etc bottom out and we can upgrade to them (hopefully) cheaply?

Yes, but I think it's a good idea to stockpile cash because it's a good idea to pickup the last of the decent cash cows in Vlastuin (this week) and Lonergan (next week). After that, there aren't many cash cows that will be decent, and people with less than $500k in the bank will be bringing in some pretty dodgy downgrades.

After this week I'll have $1 million in the bank and feel like I've got all the best rookies, and I know of decent teams with $1.7 million. I don't think the top 10 000 in the rankings are locked in, I think a lot of teams 15 000 - 25 000 would be in better positions in the long-term. With 2 upgrades a week, you won't be holding the cash for too long...

turry17

End of next week after I do a double downgrade il have 700k in the bank. Should be enough for 3 decent upgrades. Hopefully some more decent downgrade options pop up but can't name any of the top of my head