Main Menu

Is this for real?

Started by Boomz, June 09, 2011, 09:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boomz

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/giant-call-by-draft-teen-stephen-coniglio/story-e6frf9jf-1226072611295

theres plenty of draftees each year that don't want to be drafted to shower clubs or go interstate. needs to get the flower over himself.

hawk_88

It is all relative isn't it. I think for you or myself we would jump at any opportunity like that so it is difficult for us to grasp why someone would make a decision like that.

However given the position he finds himself in, he is able to and has decided to take control of his future so good luck to him I guess.

That being said, this is most likely a tactic such that the Giants don't pick him if given the chance.

RiOtChEsS

w0w bit of a shock... seems odd as there is every chance GWS go bottom and get early picks the year after aswell :-X

Nails

If he doesn't want to play for GWS then he doesn't want to... He can be a star cricketer and play for a state side/Australia eventually potentially.

Why spend your time playing for a potentially bottom feeder side in GWS having no fun, when you're not even 100% on footy. He'd probably prefer play cricket than with GWS.

Therefore why do it if he won't enjoy it with them? He's good enough so if he defers he knows he'll get picked up next year anyway, and if not, there's always cricket no big loss for him, only gains.

PowerBug

This bloke was going to be #1 as well. Good on him, not letting the club take advantage of him.

At the draft, are you allowed to decline an offer? SO if he gets picked up by GWS, can he say 'No, pick someone else?'

RiOtChEsS

how is a club taking advantage of him?

PowerBug

AFl players don't get much privacy. They need to follow what clubs say.

hawk_88

They aren't taking advantage of him. He, and everyone else, enters the draft with the knowledge they they could go anywhere. That is it's nature. He is just playing within the rules to maximise the outcome he desires.

Master Q

Good on him I say. If I were him I'd consider playing for GWS first, and if you don't like after a year or two you can offer a trade or even switch to cricket. As long as he isn't stuck with a contract it isn't against the rules to change sports.

RiOtChEsS

Quote from: PowerBug on June 10, 2011, 09:26:52 AM
Good on him, not letting the club take advantage of him.

Quote from: PowerBug on June 10, 2011, 10:11:50 AM

PowerBug

Boomz

ur 2 posts make no sense... I'm guessing that's what he's getting at?

Master Q

Quote from: BOOMZ on June 10, 2011, 05:06:01 PM
ur 2 posts make no sense... I'm guessing that's what he's getting at?
^^^

:P

RiOtChEsS

exactly i asked...

Quote from: Marcz on June 10, 2011, 09:48:39 AM
how is a club taking advantage of him?

and u gave me...

Quote from: PowerBug on June 10, 2011, 10:11:50 AM

how would cricket or any other sport be any different?

its a privilege and an opportunity, they r not taking advantage of anyone

PowerBug

You have to follow strict guidlines, and at GWS they will/won't be as strict which could've influenced his decision.