Main Menu

Welcome to the Saints....

Started by Pkbaldy, November 27, 2014, 10:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Manspeaker

Jade Gresham
QuoteTony Elshaug says:

“Jade played for the Northern Knights. He played in defence last year at 177cm playing on the smaller types. This year he went forward and played in the midfield and had a very good year. Jade went on to be Vic Metro’s most valuable player and showed his quality there at winning the ball consistently setting up the play. He has good pace, good speed, good endurance, making good decisions by right and left hand and foot. He has shown a good capability to kick a goal and he finished off the year strongly as well. He is a very exciting player.”

Brandon White
QuoteTony Elshaug says:

"Brandon's had a good season. It's been a strong season for Brandon at the Dandenong Stingrays. He is a left-footer off half-back. He has good speed, he is a good mark overhead and can kick a long ball. He is a very competitive player. At times he played a role where he locked down on his opponents. Other times he has let himself go and run through the middle of the ground and set up a lot of plays going forward. He had a solid championships for Vic Metro and unfortunately just towards the end of the year he got ill before the TAC Cup finals but acquited himself well. He is a local boy from Berwick and we are really pleased to have Brandon come to the club."

Bailey Rice
QuoteTony Elshaug says:

"We've been able to acquire Bailey as a father-son. We've had Bailey at the club  for the past 18 months through the father-son program. He has improved year on year, had a very good season for Dandenong Stingrays, playing across the backline and going into the midfield and forward. He is a very powerful player with good speed, agility and can take a good mark overhead. He is very brave and can kick the ball both on his right and left. It is very exciting to have a father-son come through to the club for the first time in a number of years and he will acquit himself well.

man White can kick! nice little moment here too

Bill Manspeaker

and in the Rookie Draft, welcome to our new guys...

Nick O'Kearney
QuoteMedium defender/midfielder who is efficient by hand and generally uses it well on either foot. Possesses strong hands overhead and reads the ball well in flight. A competitive player who rarely fumbles and has the ability to find the footy on the inside and outside. Makes good decisions under pressure and impressed at the NAB AFL U18 Championships, winning All-Australian honours. Member of the NAB AFL Academy.

Nick Coughlan
QuoteKey position player originally from Albury who can play at either end.

Coughlan spent 2015 as a 19-year-old with  TAC Cup team Murray Bushrangers after spending time in the GWS Academy and with Footscray's VFL team.

and Saunders was re-rookied

Pkbaldy

Pretty happy with O'Kearney, I had him in the tail end of my top 30 prospects!! so that's awesome.

Coughlan is a key defender yeah?? If so that's awesome! He might come along nicely.

Bill Manspeaker

from watching his highlights Coughlan looks a bit of a swingman, although from memory, the video above I think (and I'm talking this was about an hour ago, that's how bad my memory is :P) he was playing forward. can apparently play both ends though

Bill Manspeaker

Pkbaldy

Having him as a key defender will be mad!

They all look surprisingly good in our gear! Reckon any will be up for first round Kyle??

Bill Manspeaker

Quote from: Pkbaldy on November 27, 2015, 02:04:01 PM
Having him as a key defender will be mad!

They all look surprisingly good in our gear! Reckon any will be up for first round Kyle??
I'm not sure man, you'd probably have a better idea than me. I can see Rice getting games down back if Geary is rested. don't think White will play early, looks like he needs to put a bit of weight. and Gresh, well who knows, we played Billings straight up a bit under-weight and he looked good, so it's anyone's guess. hope we play him round 1 though. love fresh faces!

Bill Manspeaker

Bill Manspeaker

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-16/how-are-your-clubs-draftees-faring-during-their-first-afl-preseasons

Jade Gresham: Has been like a duck to water, training alongside the Saints' best clearance players, impressing with his ball-winning ability and clever decision-making. Injury-free and working to improve his running ability.

Brandon White: Has been earmarked as a defender to start his career before eventually moving onto a wing. Impressing with his competitiveness and ability to kick to an AFL standard. Adding weight a focus.

Bailey Rice: Had a rude awakening on the standards required to fit into an AFL program but returned from Christmas in much better shape. Is being educated as a defender for now with the Saints keeping his program simple.

ROOKIES
Nick O'Kearney: Adapted the quickest of the Saints' recruits and has needed to be held back at times because of his desire to do everything. Working with the midfielders, he has impressed with his ability to find the ball and is speaking up in meetings.

Nicholas Coughlan: Hasn't missed a session since joining the Saints as a 19-year-old, reading the ball well in drills and learning his craft as a tall defender. Has shown a great willingness to work hard and the Saints would like him to add weight. â€" Nathan Schmook

Bill Manspeaker

O'Kearney might be one to watch for fantasy teams. we do get a free upgrade and it sounds like he's impressing the coaches. if he gets upgraded he might be a good option