Guns n Roses versus mid price madness

Started by crowls, March 03, 2016, 11:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowls

Only been playing SC since 2013.    This year I have seen more mid price madness than any other season.
I can understand the attraction of Crouch, Libba, Wells, JOM, Luey etc.   

Do those with longer memories able to remember a successful team making top 100 with a Mid Price strategy.   All my reading continues to reinforce the GNR approach.

ATM I have the following keepers, Mids (200-450), and rookies
Backs 3/0/5
Mids  5/2/4
Ruck  2/0/1
Fwd   3/2/3

Considering upgrading my 2 midpriced fwds to a Gun and Rookie.     
What are other coaches thinking.   Worried about missing out on wells, menzel, ceski, jom, b smith, yeo, mckenzie etc.    outside of libba and crouch I have little confidence in any of the others lasting the season and meeting expectations.

Ringo

Each to his own Crowls.  Go with gut. Each year there appears to be one or 2 mid pricers injury effected surface but this year seems to be a lot more than usual.

ATM mine is:
Backs: 3/1/4
Mids: 5/2/4  (Mills one of the 2 only because he is above your low figure of $200k
Rucks: 2/0/1
Fwd: 2/2/4

I am looking at the mid pricers even they do not last season making sufficient cash for upgrade.  Wells for example could be $400k+ by byes if he plays to his potential and most games enabling an easy upgrade to a performing prem

Each to their own but with no real stand out defenders going the rookie track until we see which are the standouts is in my opinion a sound strategy.

crowls

Thanks Ringo,  i remember the disaster of my first season and how it took me half the season to correct all the mid price problems I created for my self.

This year it is hard to ignore the quality of many mid pricers.

Mat0369

I'm not really looking at Wells as a midprice option, just a really expensive rookie. But looking at what you're saying, downgrade one and upgrade one, lets use Wells and Simpkin for example. They total to about 460k. So assuming one becomes a bargain basement rookie you're only left with about 360k which isn't a premium.

In defense, EMack and Harwood total about 520k. So assume one again becomes bargain basement you have about 420k. Say you already have Brodie Smith there isn't a hell of a lot after. So you're stuck picking break out guys or guys with significant risk meaning you're back where you started, still having to likely burn 2 trades down the track for less points and cash production. I think it's more risk vs reward and managing the cap

Ringo

Hear what you are saying matt but my thoughts are say Menadue rises about 300k  then I downgrade him to a rookie on the bubble.  I have 300k to use to upgrade to a premium in any line. If Wells still heathy and pitting out good scores he will stay.
My plan is to sort out fwds and mids if possible first with defence last due to the number of unknowns in there at the moment.  But as we know our plans are usually out the window with injuries etc.

Capper

What if some of your mid pricers turn out to be keepers?

Liba is a mid picer but if he gets back to his normal scoring he will be a keeper.

ATM i have 12 players above $400k that i plan to keep, then have Libba, Ross and Wells who if they score well enough each week will stay in my team.

Using your scale of keepers, mids and rookies i have

3/2/3
4/4/3
2/0/1
3/1/4

All my midfield are pure midfielders

Mat0369

Quote from: Ringo on March 04, 2016, 10:01:43 AM
Hear what you are saying matt but my thoughts are say Menadue rises about 300k  then I downgrade him to a rookie on the bubble.  I have 300k to use to upgrade to a premium in any line. If Wells still heathy and pitting out good scores he will stay.
My plan is to sort out fwds and mids if possible first with defence last due to the number of unknowns in there at the moment.  But as we know our plans are usually out the window with injuries etc.

The original idea is that if I downgrade player X I can upgrade player Y in my current side. Looking at what you're describing,  recent history tells me that Wells is not going to stay fit, so if I can get say 6 games out of him at an 80 average I will look to offload him and have no intention of keeping him. Menadue could take 10 weeks to hit 300k where as Wells could hit 400k in half the time which means I could have a top end premium in my side in that time frame.

So if you were to say have Menadue instead of Simpkin, you save around 60-70k, or if you have him ahead of Wells you would have $88,500 which would still keep you in purgatory in terms of upgrading another mid price option right away.

I get what you're saying, but I think there are a few guys with proven scoring ability that aren't going to break the bank. I'm not saying load up with 8 of them, but Wells, Libba, Crouch and maybe one other should be fine.

T Dog

PowerBug

I currently have 10 players in that mid price range. This is gonna be a fun season for me :D

hawkboy80

Ive tried to go GnR as much as possible
5.3.3. Libba & Mills I consider premo and rookie but have included as midprice here
3.2.3. Wells everyone has

crowls

Quote from: PowerBug on March 13, 2016, 10:57:33 AM
I currently have 10 players in that mid price range. This is gonna be a fun season for me :D
PB  whats the name of your team mate/   lpve to see how this works out for you.  big call

PowerBug

Quote from: crowls on March 21, 2016, 10:49:53 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on March 13, 2016, 10:57:33 AM
PB  whats the name of your team mate/   lpve to see how this works out for you.  big call
Off the Radar is the team name, got a team thread here but those things get lost within a day. Still changing the squad around and currently have 9 players in that 200-450 price range. But two things 1) I have picked a lot of players who I like and 2) trying really hard to not be sucked in by NAB and not change from my gut calls (Lobbe...)