Going super cheap in defence

Started by Gigantor, December 09, 2015, 01:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gigantor

Any one else thinking of going super cheap in defence this year?

I had a bit of a look at how previous top 10 defenders performed and its not pretty!

All of the 2015 top 10 defenders had significant increases in their average from 2014, Enright being the smallest but still a respectabvle 6.6

Out of the top 10 defenders from 2013 and 2014 only 4 of 20 increased their average the following year, in fact 6 of them dropped 10 or more ppg which is a bit of a worry (I didn't count the players who lost their defender status but they are below for data accuracy reasons!)

I'm not sure if I want to play roulette with the class of 2015 so I'm seriously considering going as far as having Brodie Smith at D1 and Malceski at D2! Madness or a good idea? It would allow me to go with 5 mid/4 fwd premos and Goldy/Smartin as rucks

I am aware this might have been a waste of my time if some juicy DPP's pop up, Sidey, McVeigh, Swallow etc  :P

RaisyDaisy

Will need to wait and see on which new premiums there will be, but as of now I can more or less say I will not be starting Shaw or Hodge

Don Pyke has already said that Brodie Smith's best position, and where he will be playing is off half back. As for Malceski, I'm still not convinced on him after what I saw of him this year. Will need to impress in NAB

I'm sure I'll find a starting spot for Kade Simpson, always do. Tmac a chance too

shaker

I always cheap out in defence did not work out so good last year but did the year before just a gamble I'm willing to take  ;)

Holz

people always have a go at me for picking birchall because he isnt top 6.

thats true but you can lock in 85-90 and stay around the same in price.

89 86 the last two years

Mcveigh is worth it if DPP though he kept it up.

LordSneeze

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 09, 2015, 08:16:38 AM
Will need to wait and see on which new premiums there will be, but as of now I can more or less say I will not be starting Shaw or Hodge

Don Pyke has already said that Brodie Smith's best position, and where he will be playing is off half back. As for Malceski, I'm still not convinced on him after what I saw of him this year. Will need to impress in NAB

I'm sure I'll find a starting spot for Kade Simpson, always do. Tmac a chance too

Talk from Adelaide is that with Seedsman coming in he will be playing more on the wing similar to what Smith did this year. This will free Smith to be the player that runs off half back again. What this means for Laird is a big question in my mind.

Holz

just out of interest the guy who won last year started like this

Shaw
Malceski
Newnes
Saad
Mcintosh
Goodes

my planned team at the moment is

Mcveigh
Rance
Bartel
Harwood
Weitering
Francis

reasonably cheap.

LordSneeze

Quote from: Holz on December 09, 2015, 12:05:21 PM
just out of interest the guy who won last year started like this

Shaw
Malceski
Newnes
Saad
Mcintosh
Goodes

my planned team at the moment is

Mcveigh
Rance
Bartel
Harwood
Weitering
Francis

reasonably cheap.

Not sure on Bartel being in Defence but other than that it looks good.

I am liking the look of Malceski this year, i feel he will improve after a settling in year.

RaisyDaisy

Is Weitering worth the 200k+ price tag as a defender?

Holz

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 09, 2015, 02:03:46 PM

the guy can play. Intercept marks and contested marks are good for SC.

Think he can average 60-65 and play every game.

considering he is my D4 I dont think i can go cheap without him.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Holz on December 09, 2015, 03:08:53 PM

60-65 is not worth 220k surely?

No doubt he can play, but in terms of SC and his price tag it's hard to justify picking him.

I remember when Jack Martin started and was touted as the next greatest thing - even then we didn't start him at 220k, so why would we start a KPP?

Depends on what other options are available, but I would think I'll be going with a structure that doesn't include him at this stage

fasttrack13

His problem is his pace... but he reads the play better than some of the best in the AFL.. He did average 15 touches through the state carnival which is one of the highest i remember for a key defender.
saying that, id rather Mitch Brown (WCE) if hes 100K cheaper because the chances are as a first year player theyll average the same anyway.

LF

Yeah Brown is probably pushed out of our best 22 so I wouldn't be starting him.

fasttrack13

Quote from: LF on December 09, 2015, 03:36:17 PM
Yeah Brown is probably pushed out of our best 22 so I wouldn't be starting him.

did read eagles will be shifting McGovern forward, as relief for nicnat in ruck. With Brown + McKenzie taking the Key back roles...
have to find the article

Holz

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on December 09, 2015, 03:29:46 PM

60-65 is not worth 220k surely?

No doubt he can play, but in terms of SC and his price tag it's hard to justify picking him.

I remember when Jack Martin started and was touted as the next greatest thing - even then we didn't start him at 220k, so why would we start a KPP?

Depends on what other options are available, but I would think I'll be going with a structure that doesn't include him at this stage

if you have him as your D4 you need to find 5 guys cheaper then him who will play games and score I cant find 5 yet.

I reckon he will follow a similar path to Rance. excpet probably more of a focal point.

the question is who is a better pick?

Francis is

fasttrack13

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/west-coast/west-coast-eagles-look-to-tweak-defensive-system-after-cyril-rioli-magic-in-hawthorn-premiership-win/news-story/e7c614de0f1b016e6c665e130c4a5fa1

Words of Shannon Hurn:
Eric Mackenzie and Mitch Brown would slot easily back in to the team’s backline next year and said Jeremy McGovern could become a damaging swingman in the mould of retired premiership utility Adam Hunter.