EXV predictions thread.

Started by Holz, January 14, 2013, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ziplock

that leaves just one write up left, for the best team of all :P

elephants

A few inflated predictions there in my opinion Zip but who am I to question the great man ;)

Scrads

Quote from: elephants on January 28, 2013, 09:26:24 PM
A few inflated predictions there in my opinion Zip but who am I to question the great man ;)

Agreed, a few of those were too high IMO. Nonetheless the team to beat for mine.

Justin Bieber

Hmm that forward is scoring well higher than like their career averages... lol.

Holz

That's the one I have been waiting for premium as usual zip. I think you might be overestimating the back line abit but no doubt those guys are capable of doing it.

You bring up a good point I can see Gibbs or Goddard losing dpp. Siposs will switch back there.

As you said cloke will improve next year if he can go back to 2011 I'm not sure. Lecras I feel will be a boom or bust up front.

I actually think goldy can go 95 and sandi 100. The ruck line minus sandi isn't very deep but I'm betting on goldy staying super durable.

The mid will be one of the best for a long time. I will be targeting backs and forwards in the drafts , they will hopefully be pick 14s though.

Harper is a guy I think everyone underrates I'm tipping 80+ in a few years. Picking hogan was a huge risk as I'm not sure if he will be a good fantasy player but I need young forwards as you said.

I just hope lecras has a strong year , than I will give him to the bashers I'm sure I can talk lez into picking him :)

Ziplock

Team: Vatican Valkyries
Coach: Ziplock
Predicted Ranking and Average Score: 6th, 1486

Scoring Breakdown including captain bonus:
Back   Grimes   100
Back   Hanley   100
Back   Golby   85
Back   Bugg   80
Mid   Ward   210
Mid   Ziebell   105
Mid   Trengove   90
Mid   Gaff   98
Ruck   Mcevoy   93
Fwd   Goodes   100
Fwd   Christensen   85
Fwd   Hawkins   85
Fwd   Krakouer   75
Util   Cunnington   90
Util   Bastinac   90

Analysis:
Probably the best team in the current competition- strong enough to be competitive, but with an insane amount of potential to improve. That being said, without any improvement this year, the valkyries could be in substantial strife- their starting 15 average points only amounts to 1305 ppg... which would drop the team as far down as 12th. That being said, the valkyries have, like many sides, substantial amounts of youth. Unlike most sides however, the majority of the youth is of extremely high quality.

Back:
The Valkyries, also known colloquially as 'Full of Jack' lead by the intelligent coach, foresaw backline deficiencies as being the major weakness in most euros squad, and so spent a lot of the trading and drafting periods preventing this occurrence from affecting the team.

Jack Grimes is a top 3 defender, people say he'll lose his defensive eligiblity with all the midfield he plays... however, after getting back to match fitness (after having no preseason and averaging 65 over the first three rounds), grimes averaged over 96 for the rest of the year, but most importantly, this was done without substantial midfield time- he didn't even play enough midfield to be granted mid eligibility. With a proper pre-season under his belt, as a 24 year old Grimes should easily be able to push his average to 100+, especially considering it's looking like he's over his injury concerns.

Pearce Hanley is a top 10 defender as it is. Keeping in mind he's from ireland, and still learning the game, that's a pretty big achievement. His biggest concern at this time is consistency, which is to be expected from an irish recruit. That being said, I'm tipping him for a big year-  for a defender he's shown a massive ceiling close to 140- if he can cut out some of his poorer games, he's going to be right up there with the 3Gs, grimes, gibbs and goddard this year.

Golby is another brisbane lions defender, and he should be able to slot straight into drummonds spot. A 74 average is certainly nothing to sneeze at from a second year player, and he's shown the ability to dominate against weaker teams... fully fit, with an improving brisbane side and a HB role, his scores are just going to go up- 85 is probably a little generous, but 80+ is easily achievable.

Bugg with a 70 odd first year average is also very impressive, all he needs to do is hold down his spot in GWS, and a big improvement should come through for him as well this year- a pre selected 17 year old, he really showed how he was one of the best youths in the country.

However, the fun doesn't end there for the Valkyries- their bench is every bit as impressive as their field. Jacobs at north should show huge improvement, and the first round selection could honestly become close to premium this year. Armstrong, in a few years when he cements into the swans defensive line, will, as he's shown before, be a quite solid scorer. Pittard is a highly talented half back, who's been struck down by injury, while Laird is an extremely young and highly rated defender for adelaide. Frosts elevation to the senior list, coupled with his his versatility makes him solid cover, while Roughead has been tipped to take over Lakes role, hopefully emulating some of Brians old scoring. Jackson Trengove might never be an amazing DTer, but fit he'll play 22 and cover and injuries/ suspensions. Veszpremi is probably the biggest darkhorse in the lot- he showed he had potential once, the only question is whether or not he can live up to it.

Overall, it's a pretty impressive line- even more so by the fact the oldest player isnt even 25 yet.

Mids:
Another line littered with talent. By my count there's around 10 (including Haynes's dpp) top 20 draft picks there, and their all pretty damn good quality.
Ward has shown already just what he can do with a 100 odd average this year, a bit more support, with an improving giants midfield, and he could easily become a premium midfielder. Ziebells talent is undeniable, that being said his horrific leg breaks definitely set his progress back a bit. It may be little more than a gut feeling, but going by various break out trends, 2013 is looking like his year with a solid preseason.
Gaff shook off the green vest this year, and exploded, averaging 87 ppg. He was clearly tailing off towards the end of the year however, but for a running machine like gaff, a bit more fitness and if anything a 90 average is underselling him, if he could become a bit more versatile and win a bit more inside ball, rather than playing almost purely as an outside mid, he could even get up there around the 105 mark this year.

Trengove's averaged 90 before, and there's no reason why he can't pump out another one, a better demons team should definitely help with that.

Cunnington and Bastinac are both young, improving kangaroo midfielders. Cunnington needs to develop a little more consistency, while Bastinac needs to shake his tagging roles, eitherway, both of these boys will be easily 80-85+... if they can improve on their DTing as I suggested though 90-100 is far more likely. Having 3 young gun roos in cunnington, bastinac and ziebell is very encouraging- at minimum one of these guys will become a bonafide 115+ premium... and there's always the possibility of them becoming the next swan, pendles, beams :)

The talent doesn't just end with the fielded players however- Adams, despite the disappointment of losing DPP, produced a very impressive first year 75 average, and I'd expect a little improvement on it this year- even though he'll be pushed into the forward line far more often with a fully fit GWS midfield (if anything that's even better, providing him with forward eligiblity in 2014 onwards). Clay Smith is a ball winning machine- averaged 120 DT ppg as a junior, and unsubbed this year averaged 70 in his first year. He may be vying for a spot with other dogs, but atm, he looks to be sitting in the 21. K Stevens partners with him perfectly- one of the two will always be playing, and I'm tipping koby to go 80+ this year in his first real season.

Likewise Stringer, who'd cemented himself in geelongs 22 before a club imposed suspension and Caddy both pair up very nicely, with Geelong starting to give more midfield time to youngsters, these two should be right inline- both posting unsubbed averages of around 70 in what was, in essence, their first years. Dean Towers represents another very solid player- a mature aged ball winner, barlow, zorko anyone? :P

All in all, another very solid line, only two real faults- the lack of a captaincy option for now, which will be rectified with a multitude of break outs, and the fact that in a couple of years there's going to be too many premium midfielders to take the field :'(
Rucks:
Mcevoy is a premium ruckman, and incredibly young, more improvement should be on the cards easily for him. Hickey partners with him quite well as probably the first choice as a back up if mcevoy goes down with another medium-long term injury. Stephenson isn't much more than cover at this stage, and not for long either- that being said, he's demonstrated the ability to score  quite well unsubbed- if maric goes down, stephenson would be knocking hard.

O'hailpin provides good forward and defensive cover- fully fit I'd place him in the giants 22, at the very least he'll be taking over folaus role, but playing it significantly better, and rotating to cover players like patton, cameron when they get rested.

It's not a spectacular line, but, it's rock solid.

Fwds:
Not being able to move goodes on was probably Ziplocks only error in his drafting and trading- Goodes is a beast, but his age doesn't quite fit the Valkyries structure. That being said, I'd expect him to be pumping out a 90+ average easily for the next 3+ years, despite what some doubters may say. Hawkins showed this year that he has the makings to become a genuine premium, or at worst, quasi-premium, forward, and for a keyforward, that's pretty solid. Christensen was carrying various injuries all year, and still managed to boost his average- if anything 85 is being a bit harsh on him this year. Krakouer will be solid cover for the year, but you can't really expect more than 75 off him, that being said, there's enough talent on the bench that he could lose his spot.

The bench is reasonable, while not being AS amazing as the midfield or defence. Lee and Lynch should both be very solid key forwards- Lynch averaging 65 in his second year, playing as a keyforward is pretty impressive. Considering he didn't kick very many goals playing for the team that came 17th... it's very impressive. Betts is solid cover ,easily in his teams 22, while Bewick and Haynes both have the potential to become good players, if they can reach it. Grant has shown that he can score well, and he's getting to the age when he's going to need to, or forever be another top 5 pick forced into mediocrity. Gumbleton could be another machine, if he can stay fit (touch wood), while Dicks elevation is encouraging- at he very least he'll be ok cover.

Strengths: the youth in this team is definitely the biggest strength it has. The backline and midfield are exceptionally impressive- especially considering how badly other teams are struggling in the defensive area.

Weaknesses: The forward line would be the closest thing to a weakness- losing adams hurt quite a bit, the line would look a lot better with someone of his quality in it, and while showing potential, unlike a lot of the other lines, there  aren't many certainties for breakouts. The lack of a captaincy option, depending on breakout by ward, ziebell, gaff etc. is a bit concerning, but it should be pretty easily weathered.

All of this being said, reports are that the Valkyries are not particularly concerned about crashing and burning this year- whispers from inside sources say that while Ziplock will endeavour to do his best, should the Valkyries be struck down again with poor form and injuries, a few more extremely high draft picks wouldn't be the end of the world- the coach is apparently confident that this team will win a flag within the next few years, regardless of the outcome of 2013.
How to win the flag:

probably just out of reach this year for the valkyries. Ziplock would need another handful of breakouts in the forwards and mids to really compete- can't see it happening this year. Next year, and the next 10 years infact, are different stories.

Ziplock

was that possibly biased, and seen through rose coloured glasses? maybe.

or, was I infact the opposite, and being too harsh on a bestial team?

who knows.

all I can say is, SMC, I'll see all yo doubters on the field. :P

Ziplock

Quote from: whatlez on January 28, 2013, 10:20:56 PM
Hmm that forward is scoring well higher than like their career averages... lol.

you'll find most peoples predictions of players in their prime are higher than their averages, that's generally what happens since players take time to mature.

Clokes averaged over 95 before, and he's entering DT prime, without any contract clouds over his head. Petries had injury concerns, but 2008/9/11 he's been around the 85 mark. Harveys averaged over 85 in the last 10 of his 12 seasons, and lecras is entering DT prime as well, averaging 86 in his last full season.

Holz

The Valkyries certainly will be a worry in a few years you probably will overtake the eagles at some stage but that could be in 3 years time when shaw adcock and Goddard are gone.

I'm expecting a 2-0 sweep of the valks this year though just missing the big hitters at this stage. I'm worried about Jz though he could go bang at some stage and be your captain. Would be fitting as jack watts and Jz started the rivalry

Justin Bieber

Pfft wtf. Your predictions are based on biasm.

Golby 85 my arse.
Bugg 80 pfft lol
Hanley 100 probably not
Ziebell 105 never
Goodes won't hit 100 again
Hawkins might strape into 80

The rest is alright, but some overrated and this comment to start:

'Probably the best team in the current competition'.

Come on mate, realistic your team is around 1400.

Scrads

With a quick glance at your predictions for your own team Zip I would knock off about 65 points from the total. Not that theres anything wrong with that, EVERYONE rates their own team higher than they actually are anyway.

Thanks for all the great reviews :)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Scrads on January 28, 2013, 11:48:10 PM
With a quick glance at your predictions for your own team Zip I would knock off about 65 points from the total. Not that theres anything wrong with that, EVERYONE rates their own team higher than they actually are anyway.

Thanks for all the great reviews :)
Yeah what this guy said. Sorry Zip.

Ziplock

Quote from: whatlez on January 28, 2013, 11:43:29 PM
Pfft wtf. Your predictions are based on biasm.

Golby 85 my arse.
Bugg 80 pfft lol
Hanley 100 probably not
Ziebell 105 never
Goodes won't hit 100 again
Hawkins might strape into 80

The rest is alright, but some overrated and this comment to start:

'Probably the best team in the current competition'.

Come on mate, realistic your team is around 1400.

haha, the best team in the comp was a bit of an ironic joke :P

ziebell 105 never? haha, you willing to bet on that?

nostradamus

Quote from: Ziplock on January 28, 2013, 09:03:56 PM

despite how russia and belgium talk themselves up, he's definitely the man the beat this season.

l dont think l ever talked the Roulettes up.......l think l might have commented that we'd been flying under the radar until you reviewed us

*have a feeling you might have meant a certain other team (and strong) who was heavily into the banter with Belgium  ::)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: nostradamus on January 29, 2013, 01:11:14 AM
Quote from: Ziplock on January 28, 2013, 09:03:56 PM

despite how russia and belgium talk themselves up, he's definitely the man the beat this season.

l dont think l ever talked the Roulettes up.......l think l might have commented that we'd been flying under the radar until you reviewed us

*have a feeling you might have meant a certain other team (and strong) who was heavily into the banter with Belgium  ::)
Yeah Russia was never talked up. More underrated.