Joel Selwood

Started by Mat0369, February 27, 2017, 07:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bully

The thing with Selwood is his high standard deviation, you can almost guarantee he'll slip in a 70 or 80 and maybe even two in a row. A straight Swallow to Selwood trade wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

RaisyDaisy

Quote from: Bully on February 27, 2017, 10:02:14 PM
The thing with Selwood is his high standard deviation, you can almost guarantee he'll slip in a 70 or 80 and maybe even two in a row. A straight Swallow to Selwood trade wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

Yeah but besides Pendles and GAJ* pretty much every prem mid will put in the odd 70

Jelwood's as proven as they get, and that round 12 bye is delicious

Torpedo10

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 27, 2017, 10:07:29 PM

Yeah but besides Pendles and GAJ* pretty much every prem mid will put in the odd 70

Do you not think he could get gotten in by that point though?I reckon by round 10, JOM, Clugg or Swallow could be just full value and an upgrade to Jelwood could work perfectly. To give you an idea of how Jelly always seems to throw in loose ones early, here's his last couple of years;

2016: R8-10 (66,72,82)
2015: R4-9 (84,83,104,89,90,79)
2014: R5-7 (83, 82, 93)
2013: R5-9 (87,105,100,83,91,73)
2012: R5-10 (114, DNP, 109, 140, 110, 104)

Even that 2012 stint wasn't great with that DNP and the fact he scored 24 with a concussion in R1 and missed R2, before then he barely scraped 90 between those rounds.

So for those who say it's a myth, take a look at the numbers.

eaglesman

Bully

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 27, 2017, 10:07:29 PM

Rd 8-10 last year he scored 69, 72 & 82.

In 2015 he only scored 3 tons in the first 10 rounds.

In 2014 he scored 83, 82 & 93 between rounds 5 & 7.

In 2013 he scored 83, 91 & 73 between rounds 8 & 10.

He's a great player and a definite upgrade target but the odds are he'll be around the 500k mark at some stage in the first half of the year.

crowls

Quote from: Mat0369 on February 27, 2017, 07:40:43 PM
Quote from: shaker on February 27, 2017, 07:36:53 PM
You just can't fit everybody in you want had him in a couple of weeks ago until mid rookies started looking scarce , I reckon he is the hardest man in footy and will get him back if rookies allow

With only North, Richmond, Geelong and West Coast on bye in round 12 he seems like an ideal guy to target. Apart from Danger, none of those teams have super elite mids that you are going to want to start or end your team with. Guys like Priddis/Martin you might pick up if they have an injury game and come cheap, but none of the other guys scream lock in the mdifield.
Brought him into a number of my teams last week as I balance out the byes against my structure.   Strong possibility of being in my team come round 1.

Mantis

First full pre season in a long time!! Proven gun, High ceiling,Great bye, Pod. Haha I'm keen.

Mat0369

Quote from: RaisyDaisy on February 27, 2017, 08:07:55 PM
The one guy I didn't want to see a thread about

Have had him for ages - that round 12 bye is beautiful too

Lol every year that myth is raised and every year the stats show its bs

Please delete this thread Mat, I'd like to keep his ownership under 5%

I was surprised his brother had a higher ownership percentage. I managed to free up enough cash in my side that I was looking at 600k+ mids again and his name popped onto the list. I couldn't figure out why no one was talking about him, maybe an injury, turns out he will be a good POD.

GCSkiwi

If I had a bunch more money, he would be the next player coming into my side. Currently have Danger, Pendles, GAJ, Fyfe and Titch as my M1-M5, and Jelwood doesn't replace any of them for me. Close to bumping GAJ perhaps. But depending how rooks pan out, I may drop a prem fwd and bring in another prem mid, which would be Jelwood.

Grufflez

Quote from: Torpedo10 on February 27, 2017, 07:34:36 PM
Rarely starts the season well, under the best of circumstances.

Could be an intriguing POD though

Take out the year that Geelong didn't make the eight and Selwood was getting tagged while trying to carry us.

Now, this is a misconception as are JPK's slow starts, they both score fine over the first 5 or 6 games.

Selwood has a tendency to throw out 3 low scores in a row between rounds 7-12 IIRC that's where his price can drop 50-75-100k.
Most have started Dangerfield as their R12 bye mid and see Selwood as their first upgrade target in the mids with maybe someone like Gaz or Gray after R9.

By round 12 Selwood won't be a pod at all.

Grufflez

Also Selwoods scoring history is no longer accurate because Dangerfields presence is massive.

Geelong most likely top 4 again and it could be a 115-120 season for Joel as he didn't have a good preseason last year.

shaker

Quote from: GCSkiwi on February 28, 2017, 08:42:59 AM
If I had a bunch more money, he would be the next player coming into my side. Currently have Danger, Pendles, GAJ, Fyfe and Titch as my M1-M5, and Jelwood doesn't replace any of them for me. Close to bumping GAJ perhaps. But depending how rooks pan out, I may drop a prem fwd and bring in another prem mid, which would be Jelwood.

Close to bumping Gaz it does not worry you that Gaz looks like not playing any competitive stuff before round 1 ?

jvalles69

Quote from: shaker on February 28, 2017, 03:40:06 PM

Close to bumping Gaz it does not worry you that Gaz looks like not playing any competitive stuff before round 1 ?

And they've said he's not a walk up start to the midfield, will start out as a forward.  Not sure, but this could be a bad thing or a good thing! :-\

crowls

Easy choice Jelwood over Gaz.   too many questions of role, % mix of time on the ball, injury history etc.    Selwood also a great fit for bye whereas GAZ will create problems if you have Swallow and SPP

GCSkiwi

Quote from: crowls on February 28, 2017, 07:37:26 PM

Easy choice Jelwood over Gaz.   too many questions of role, % mix of time on the ball, injury history etc.    Selwood also a great fit for bye whereas GAZ will create problems if you have Swallow and SPP

I'm planning little/not at all for byes because it all turns to crap by then anyway. And no it doesn't worry me that he's not getting any competitive stuff in before round 1, or potential role change. Two years ago he was wrecked by injury, averaged 114 from 6 games. Last year, he reinjured the same shoulder and it seemed as though they hadn't fully nailed the rehab, he still averaged 114 from 14 games. I don't expect they will make the same mistake twice, and prior to those two years he's averaged 137, 129, 138, 127, 130, 140, 132. Jelwood's best ever SC year was 121, once. How confident would you be coming up with Jelwood against GAJ as a POD? And sure, maybe he'll spend more time up front, which means kicking goals ;)

I'll be worried if he's not playing, if he takes the field, he will score points. Not at all worried about that.