XVs CL 2016 - Discussion thread

Started by PowerBug, June 16, 2016, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PowerBug

Amazingly I think I've managed to work all this out!

Apart from the fact I've just looked into group strength, and I think my team is like Australia in the 2014 Soccer World Cup. That's how big an outsider we are. :-[ (At least it's proof I haven't rigged it haha)

Tomorrow will be the preview day multipliers are sorted, groups and fixtures are sorted, rules are sorted (yet to be posted).

Purple 77

THE HYPE!

I hope another Christchurch-like team wins it tbh

Nige

Group G, Round 17 is legit gonna be the pinnacle of the comp for me haha.

meow meow

Quote from: Purple 77 on July 06, 2016, 10:55:47 AM
THE HYPE!

I hope another Christchurch-like team wins it tbh

There ain't no other team more Christchurch-like than Christchurch so we'll go back to back to make you happy.

PowerBug

Alright, so this is probably the biggest and most controversial post of the lot, the multipliers. The method I used to work out the multiplier was to look at each teams ladder after AFL Round 12, see how many points each of the teams in the Champions League had for the season, sum it, average it (As Euros only played 10 rounds, the rest 12) and then work out what we are multiplying by.

Then, to see how it all stacks up, I ranked all the teams average score per week based on the multiplier and then averaged out the ranking for each comps' teams (You'll see below).

So, the numbers:
Worlds: 1.0000
Euros: 1.1378
British: 0.6284
Asians: 0.7460

So if I now look at each teams average score per week, rank them you get the following averages:
Worlds: 16.50
Euros: 17.00
British: 16.63
Asians: 15.88

Which makes enough sense to me as being close enough to fair. Asians is probably the most uneven of the competitions and the aim is to find the best team in all of XVs, so I don't think it's unreasonable that the best (as a collective group) of the AXV sides are oh so slightly better than the best of the other comps. In the top 4 there's one from each comp, top 16 theres 3 Worlds, 4 Euros, 4 British, 5 Asians. (Worlds then have 17th, 18th, 20th though).

I looked into altering the multiplier by taking out the Asians VC bonus score (Where I used a VC scoring 120 points). This altered the multiplier to favour the AXV teams too much more, then I took out the VC scores but still used the 0.7460 multiplier and that basically sent all the teams to the bottom. I think what we have now works well, there will always be complaints or questions asked, but I think I've shown enough to say that it's as fair a system as we will likely get :)

Looking at these numbers it does show that some groups are move competitive than others, but that's the luck of the draw for you :) Will put some numbers up before the round starts. Do look at the opening post and the other two thread though for important notes regarding naming teams and knockout rules.

meow meow

Might want to remove the resting bonus from WXV scores since we can't use it in this comp. Purps might be able to help.

meow meow

Nah, scrap that idea. It'll be minimal anyway. Not worth the effort.

meow meow

Purple 77

Yep, more than willing to help out in any way throughout the comp :)

meow meow

Can WXV teams name captains outside of their leadership group in this competition? Shaun McKernan is looming ominously.

Rusty00

What's the go with team submission and Thursday games?

Thursday night players locked in and remainder of team can be modified until bounce of Friday night game?

meow meow

Quote from: Rusty00 on July 06, 2016, 04:11:50 PM
What's the go with team submission and Thursday games?

Thursday night players locked in and remainder of team can be modified until bounce of Friday night game?

Rolling lockout all weekend I believe.

PowerBug

Quote from: meow meow on July 06, 2016, 02:49:58 PM
HGA should be removed though.
I believe every comp has HGA (maybe not British?). But still the multipliers currently show for an even comp would you agree?

Yep rolling lockout all week.

Name whoever you want as captain.

PowerBug

CRAP! Just found an error. Those multipliers are going to change.

Okay believe have solved that error. The numbers I was looking at for the Worlds sides were wayyy off what they actually were.

Hellopplz

Quote from: meow meow on July 06, 2016, 04:07:25 PM
Can WXV teams name captains outside of their leadership group in this competition? Shaun McKernan is looming ominously.
Flowering McKernan >:(.