Main Menu

Best 22 for 2016

Started by nrich102, August 17, 2015, 06:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nige

Given the additions to the team, is Hanley like to play more of a running off half back role and be D/M in 2017 (can't see them giving it for 2016) or he basically a winger now?

GoLions

I think they may rotate Hanley and Rich through the midfield and a HBF

Ringo

Paporone another unlucky one and will be in contention for a bench spot with Beams and Cutler/Harwood.  Keays or Mathieson may push as well if form dictates.

Agree need to see if Schache is ready as well.  If not Close comes in. 

Will not be surprised to see Hipwood given a run as well if form is great.  He is still developing and now 202cm so will be interesting to watch.  Can pinch hit in ruck as well.

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: Nige on November 28, 2015, 02:23:13 PM
Given the additions to the team, is Hanley like to play more of a running off half back role and be D/M in 2017 (can't see them giving it for 2016) or he basically a winger now?

Want your best players around the ball. Put him in the guts unless hes being tagged.

Centre square or Martin, Rocky, Beams and Hanley

brodman_18

Just wanted to put it out there because this has been bugging me since I read Mike Whitings version of Brisbane's Best 22 for 2016. Mike Whiting is a massive spud. Here is why.

He left out Paparone who finished nearly top 5 in our B&F and also left our Harwood who is quality but had injury problems last year.

He started Zorko and Robinson, 2 B&F winners winners on the bench along with Rich while blokes like Sam Mayes and Tom cutler (who is not even in best 22) start on

Had Ryan Bastinac Breaking straight into our starting midfield when he couldn't even get a game at North. I don't care if North had too many inside mids, this bloke starts on the bench if he is lucky.

To top that off this bloke is the Courier Mail's #1 AFL reporter but it doesn't look like he watched a game of footy last year.

Ringo

Disagree slightly with you brodman but that is the advantage of a forum.

My argument is with Bastinac. I see him as the ideal replacement for Reddan and that is why in my best 22 I have on the ball with Beams. He has been an inside mid all his career till last year and that is why I have no hesitation in putting him back in as Reddans replacement.

Agree on the others as you can see with earlier posts.  I have put McStay on the bench and played Paparone and also have Harwood ahead of Lester. Zorko and Robinson starting although happy with one on the bench if need be. I think Mayes will break out this year hence why I have him on the bench.

brodman_18

Only time will tell RE: Bastinac.
How does he put Cutler ahead of Pap and Harwood? I also think Jaden McGrath when fit will be ahead of Cutler.
Cutler had a lot of the ball when he played but more often than not turned it over.

Ringo

One thing for certain this year though is we have some depth which we have not had in the past. 
Whiting must have a man crush and Cutler as he has also predicted him to have a big year. Probably to justify putting ahead of Pap and Harwood.
Really hope Basti works out as an inside mid as apart from Rocky and Beams we have no one else. Jansen may develop but he is an unknown at this stage.

powersuperkents

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2015-11-20/jansen-takes-on-16

@Lion's Fans. Jansen has been the recruitment who, besides Tom Bell, has me looking forward to seeing how they go next season.

Jansen will struggle to get games early due to midfield depth, however do you think he is seen as a long-term prospect, or will be get an adequate amount of opportunities in 2016? He is quite convincing in the Half-forward flank.. is there a possibility that the club starts him there early with the intention of converting him to an AFL-level contested mid in the long-term?

GoLions

Barring injury, I don't see how he'd make our best 25, let alone best 22

Who knows though, didn't think McGrath would make the 22 last season and he proved me wrong

Ringo

Agree Jansen will struggle to get games this year due to Lions depth.  With his size he can be an ideal replacement at half forward for Staker but will have some competition for that spot as well. Will be competing with Bell and Close for that spot initially. If he performs he will put pressure on. We have reasonable for the first time in a number of years.

powersuperkents

Quote from: Ringo on December 23, 2015, 09:50:51 PM
Agree Jansen will struggle to get games this year due to Lions depth.  With his size he can be an ideal replacement at half forward for Staker but will have some competition for that spot as well. Will be competing with Bell and Close for that spot initially. If he performs he will put pressure on. We have reasonable for the first time in a number of years.
At full strength, I see Bell and Robinson/Bundy managing the half-forward flanks - Bundy could be in the forward pocket (the good thing about Bell is that he is a quality mid & half forward - a really good pick-up and I would say the Lions 2nd best recruitment over the last two years (Beams obviously cannot be replaced as the no. 1 recruitment - any team would be benefited by a player like him, no matter what their midfield depth is like). 

I saw that Keays will be vaunting the No. 1 guernsey next season. Do you think he will be in line as a walk-up starter? (most likely on the interchange or forward pocket for the short-term)

Ringo

Bit hard to see Keays with a walk up start mate. Will have to show something as Lester and Nick Robertson and maybe even Jansen may be in front of him.  Bewick could be in the equation as well. We have so many mids.

Barra13

How do you guys see Hanley this year? Seems to be over his injuries now and could be underpriced. Was red vested for a knee last year and withou the red vest he averaged 95. Could he be a smokey?

Ringo

He will be an outside mid.  Because of his run and accuracy will attract the tag in my opinion.  jury still out whether he can handle it or not. Will be interesting to see the spread when Beams, Rocky, Hanley and Rich all play together in the one team. Believe it or not this is still yet to occur to give an idea of who gets the tag.