Main Menu

Well Said.

Started by Master Q, March 30, 2010, 04:14:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master Q

Lethal Leigh Matthews wrote this on AFL.com.au. Very True

Quote7:05 AM Mon 29 March, 2010
SOMETIMES timing is everything in life and footy.

The fact that both Melbourne and Richmond were well-beaten round-one losers only reinforced the universal view that they will again be well off the pace and are likely to remain anchored in the bottom two positions.

These two clubs are stuck in the terrible situation of losing good players quicker than they can develop the teenagers they draft.

The harsh reality is that there will always be a premier and there will always be a wooden spooner. The AFL draft and salary cap are designed to reduce the gap between the best and the worst and the early draft picks have been the consolation for the losing pain and a beacon of hope for a brighter future.

Remember Carlton won only 11 games in the three seasons from 2005-07 but picked up Marc Murphy, Bryce Gibbs and Matthew Kreuzer - and a  priority pick received for sustained failure was swapped to recruit current captain Chris Judd from West Coast.

However this year in footy is the worst possible time to be a struggling team with a talent-depleted list. Over the next few years, the new teams on the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney have been given the cream of the next generation draftees.

They have also been given the right to recruit an uncontracted player from each of the other 16 teams. It would be diabolical and unfair if Melbourne and Richmond in their current situations were further weakened by losing a player or two to the new expansion clubs.

They are already starting behind scratch and can’t afford the body blow of having one of their few good players pinched through the free agency granted to establish and build competitive 17th and 18th teams. That may be critically important for the big-picture growth of the national competition but any team that wins five games or less cannot be further weakened to strengthen the expansion clubs.

It seems very reasonable to me that clubs in this category should somehow have their players declared off-limits to the northern raiders

Source: afl.com.au

ossie85

It would be pretty devastating if Brett Deledio or Aaron Davey were poached.

Master Q

I agree ossie, it's very unfair. Well written don't you think.

Justin Bieber

would hate to see melbourne or richmond to lose any of their stars like ossie said.

would be better if there was a rule that let teams keep a select few to be out of reach of GC and WS.

Master Q

Any player could say no to a contract and contact gold coast to take them, really sucks.

Alex7089

Quote from: Master Q on March 30, 2010, 07:05:40 AM
Any player could say no to a contract and contact gold coast to take them, really sucks.
Yes it's horrible.
Especially when you consider that Melb/Tiges are struggling so badly if they're good players are poached and they can't draft where are they going to be?

ossie85

Tassie would have 'em.

Tassie Tigers or Tassie Demons has a good ring to it :)

Alex7089

Quote from: ossie85 on April 02, 2010, 06:51:31 AM

Tassie would have 'em.

Tassie Tigers or Tassie Demons has a good ring to it :)
LOL I think they're taken...

Big_Cox14

QuoteTassie Tigers or Tassie Demons has a good ring to it

I think Tassie Devils sounds better seeing as both the Demons and Tigers are taken.

ossie85

Master Q

Melbourne Ossie? Tassie Tigers are the cricket team.

ossie85

I know! Tassie Tigers, Tassie Devils exist - but unless I'm mistaken, there are no Tassie Demons.

Master Q

There is a north hobart demons, but are you thinking about RE-LOCATING melbourne!

ossie85

Is what we were talking about :) read the thread up a bit more.

Stranger things have happened...

Master Q

I already did ossie, and i knew. You couldn't relocate any of those teams, and if you did, Richmond would be better to move.